Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 6 weeks till summer camping trip up north… Come on spring!
  • 13thfloormonk

Getting really worried about my 2 week camping and riding trip up the northwest of scotland in mid-may, 6 week turnaround from snow and freezing gales to May sunshine?

Any meteorologists care to re-assure me, or should I just give up on the idea now 😕

(this is not to mention the three day camping trip I had planned for next weekend, might be a bit miserable!)

robgarrioch

Just before the Bealach Beag '08 (early May) we were up home & it was warm enough for shorts & bare-chest (mine, I hasten to add…). Last year, it was horrendous on the day (similar to the freezing rain of yesterday), then t-shirt weather the next – approx. 5th May. Plus I'm hoping for a week up there in May meself, fairly confident it'll improve no end.
    Put this wee attempt at 'mapping' together for routes I'm intending when up visiting the folks this year (in Opinan) – Home Circuits.. Tie in with any of yours Iain?

13thfloormonk

Yep, Monday 20th I'll be passing from Lair to Torridon where I'll be stopping for a day to climb Liathach, then heading o red point along the same route you've planned, then taking your route along the northwestern shore of loch Maree to Poolewe, the following your route again along to the causeway across Fionn Loch.

Would be excellent to have your company for some or all of that!

One or two days bad weather I can cope with, just a bit worried that its going to be two weeks of the same, that'll have me running for home 🙁

Oh, and if its mapping you want, give me a shout and i'll 'lend' you my memory map northern scotland 😀

robgarrioch

Hmm.. will have to consider that.. Will look out for a chance to discuss yer detailed plans sometime in April, during a spin perhaps.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

what about the C2C2C trip – thats only 10 days time! I was intending to camp

druidh
    Free Member

2 weeks is enough time for a complete turn around

13thfloormonk

Ooyah, I'd forgotten about the C2Cers, although I'll be with them in spirit, camping behind the Kingshouse on friday night…

Rob, you free on the 17th or 18th?

devs
    Free Member

May always has a couple of weeks of nice weather. It's the law. There is a scientific reason for it too. Apparently the edge of summer moves north and there's a wee honeymoon period before it heats up the land and sea and causes the summer weather systems that bring well, summer wind and rain. Quite often the Moray Firth gets the warmest temps in Britain and sometimes most of Europe at that time. I've been in Aviemore one early May when there was a couple of feet of snow first thing in the morning. By the afternoon it was sweltering and there was hardly even a puddle in sight, on the roads at least. So, in summary, relax if you're camping low down it will most probably be nice. I've skied in June though 🙂

robgarrioch

Rob, you free on the 17th or 18th?

Think so Iain, in either April or May… 🙂 You mentioned Monday 20th May earlier, but the 20th's a Thursday..???

13thfloormonk

Sorry, 17th or 18th of April.

I meant thursday 20th of May, not sure where the monday came from!

DeVs, thats interesting, hadn't put too much thought into why May seemed so predictably nice…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

May is the most reliable month for decent weather in the Highlands

robgarrioch

I'll be around on 17 / 18th. Sounds like c. the 20th May will be the ideal time for a week off, as I've volunteered to Marshall at the Aberfoyle round of the SXC C'ship on the 23rd. Must get that wall-planner put up…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘6 weeks till summer camping trip up north… Come on spring!’ is closed to new replies.