Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 6 music…really not that good?
  • lister

Just got a digital radio and was looking forward to listening to 6music regularily…but after a week have decided it’s poo.

I was expecting (and hoping) for minimal talking and lots of good music…instead I’m getting flashes for goodness like Craig Charles Funk show and dire stuff like, err, the rest of it!

It’s very london-centric, Franz bloody Ferdinand are on every hour and the DJ’s are mostly sub-local radio quality…radcliffe/lemaq excepted.

I’ve gone back to R1 cos I can ignore the rubbish more easily.

where’s the music?

MtbCol
    Free Member

The only station I play on my DAB is PlanetRock. Haven’t really found any other good stations to listen to yet. Saying that, up here in darkest deepest Yorkshire, we’re limited to the number of stations we can receive.

molgrips
    Free Member

Arrow rock/planet rock are good initially but after a few days you realise it’s just like having about 10 classic albums on repeat all the time. Same stuff. Nothing new ever comes out in the classic rock genre 🙂

I listen to XFM personally, before 6 music.

lister

deepest pembroke here, so limited choice…atleast i can listen to the football on 5live at night without it going all ‘MW fuzzy’

CountZero

Well, apart from that t00ser George Lamb it’s always had a really wide variety of music. It’s where I first heard all the good Canadian bands like Stars, Arcade Fire, The Dears, Wolf Parade, Wailin’ Jennies, Metric, Pretty Girls Make Graves, plus Death Cab For Cutie, Sunny Day Sets Fire, Howling Bells and loads of others long before R1 got wind of them. Can’t listen during the day now, sadly, as it’s too noisy to hear a radio with ear protection, and I don’t have 3G to hear it on Wunderradio on my iPhone.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I listen to Adam & Joe on a Saturday morning.

They seem to play a good range of music. Not just the latest stuff.

scuttler

Dave Pearce on Sunday night at 2000. Oy oy!

Except all the callers are 35 year old fathers of two in IT drinking a glass of wine on a Sunday night (just like people on here – including me) and evey other comment or call is preceeded by ‘back in the day’.

kimbers

i do like 6music but gerge lam is truly fracking awful he hurts my ears brain spleen testicles evertime he comes on

bit too much talking sometimes especially on the breakfast show wif sean keevnee (sp?)

lister

thing is the music is of a good range, not always convinced by the quality though…seems to be a lot of new bands that sound weak comprising people from other bands that haven’t done much…yet to hear anything that might become the new Doves or Elbow or even Artic Monkeys (!)..it’s all abit lo-fi and folkie in a bad way.

leftyboy
    Free Member

If it’s was a product trading standards might ask for a higher percentage of actual music, morning show are virtually 50% chat (most of which is sh**e)

speaker2animals

George Lamb… The death of R6. Rest is ok but weekday mornings. For gods sake. Apt. station, oh yes find a sub Moyles arse so we can get same audience. Am getting bored of Planet Rock. Being an old git, now on to R7. Navy Lark etc are fab.

I’ve seen the future….

….it’s the past.

lodious
    Free Member

Gideon Coe plays some fantastic music during his evening show. Stuart Maconies Freak Zone is always interesting on sunday early evening.

What the **** is Dave Pearce doing on 6 music? He needs to face up to shelf stacking reality.

Mr_C
    Free Member

6 Music used to be good, when they had Phill Jupitus on the breakfast show followed by Gideon Coe.

Now we get Sean Keaveney – I can’t get past the fact that he sounds like that other talentless Bolton twunt Vernon Kay – followed by George Lamb – please back off the mike and stop talking crap.

CountZero

Phil Jupitus, what a presenter. Sent in a text one morning asking about some music he’d just played, and he actually phoned me back off-air! Top bloke.

cynic-al
    Free Member

weekend mornings have top chat IMO

scaredypants

Yeah, I think Lamb killed it for me too

That, and the playlist seems to be enforced a bit more these days

Mr_C
    Free Member

Adam and Joe on Saturday are pretty good. Jon Richardson I can take or leave but I usually listen as Matt Forde is hugely entertaining.

lister

but it’s 6 MUSIC ffs, there are countless radio stations for chat, I was expecting a strong content of music.
    let’s face it the BBC must have the most amazing and diverse archive of live, session music from bands since the 60’s…yet they don’t appear to want to play any of it on their music specific channel…I just don’t get it, and yes I’ve emailed them with these comments. no reply though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Phil Jupitus, what a presenter. Sent in a text one morning asking about some music he’d just played, and he actually phoned me back off-air! Top bloke.

Yes, one of the nicest “celebs” I ever met. Very, very nice man.

George Lamb is not as bad as the mediocre sub-Mark and Lard northerners on the weekend show.

Steve Lamacq and Gary Crowley are fossils (and possibly the same person).

Gideon Coe is always nice to listen to, reminds me of the good old days of GLR.

If you like amusing chat shows, see if you can pick up BBC London 3pm to 5pm weekdays for Danny Baker. Funniest man in the country.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

George Lamb- genius!

6Music is an excellent station.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘6 music…really not that good?’ is closed to new replies.