Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 6 Music
  • Is it disappearing further up it’s own backside, or morphing into Radio 1 for hipsters?

I’ve only really started listening over the past year and it’s my default station on DAB in the car – however….

Some of the pretentious guff they spout (especially on the adverts for shows) is starting to really irritate me. I get the feeling, the same idiot writes all the promo tag lines right across Beeb 1, 2 & 6.

The shows are generally pretty good, but the fillers – aaaarrgggh!

Mr_C
    Free Member

Are we talking about Mary Ann Hobbs? Every time the ad for that drippy mare comes on I want to stab myself in the ears, god knows how I’d feel if I actually listened to the program.

She’s one of the main culprits, yeah!

And Cerys.

There’s an ad on at the moment with some tool claiming to have sussed out how to turn the movement of planets into music. I very much doubt you have mate – I think NASA might be quite interested in your talents. I’d hazard a guess that you’ve put some algorithm into a synthesiser

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    km79
    Free Member

They play good music but I can’t stand the bits inbetween. Why (considering the unique way it’s funded) they can’t just have a station that plays music without any of the other shite I don’t know.

DezB
    Free Member

have a station that plays music without any of the other shite I don’t know.

I’d listen to that! Occasionally

the-muffin-man

Why (considering the unique way it’s funded) they can’t just have a station that plays music without any of the other shite I don’t know.

You may as well just listen to Spotify then.

6 Music can be annoying (and they do play some rubbish), but it’s a lot better than most, and a million times better than commercial radio.

I like the chatty bits, especially on Radcliffe and Maconie.

I do like Radio 1 at a weekend though – it feels like a different station to their weekday output.

IHN

It’s like Radio 4 with good music, so it’s a full win-win for me.

Although Mary-Anne Hobbs, who doubtlessly really knows her stuff, does have an annoyingly drippy presenting style.

Does Radcliffe still call her Mary Anne Hobgoblin?

drlex
    Free Member

I like the chatty bits, especially on Radcliffe and Maconie

I use listen again to skip most of the playlist tracks, along with the music news. Also for the Huey show; saves an hour or so.

spacey

I can’t bear the Shaun Keavney ads that are all over the place at the moment. Radcliffe & Maconie make me reach for the off button as they drivel on through the afternoon. But I could listen to Mary-Anne all day long.

All different eh!

I just use the iplayer radio app to pick and choose the shows I love, Guy, Giles, Ravenscroft, Lauren, Tom R…. I regularly smile to myself and feel glad we have 6music, seems a shame to pick holes in it.

shermer75
    Free Member

I love 6 Music! Not sure what you mean about the guffy bits. Apart from Mary Ann Hobbs of course, she is satan’s toe jam

mike_p
    Free Member

Blimey, just Googled MAH… she’s about 20yrs older than I imagined based upon her voice!

surfer
    Free Member

I could listen to Cerys talking and just blank out the music bits 😳

wallop

I’m a big fan of Shaun Keaveny and of Mark Radcliffe. Lamacq makes me switch over to 1 or 2 though.

prawny

I only really listen to the breakfast show, fits with my random and slightly immature sense of humour.

Music was fantastic though this morning, might listen to the Lurpak/Keavney DJ battle tonight too.

traildog
    Free Member

The thing is, it’s got to appeal to a lot of different people so it will have things which you do not like. The fact that you can happily listen for a year and you generally think it’s good shows that it’s doing something right.

I really like Mary Anne Hobbs and Cerys show. Cannot stand Javis Cockers show because I find it so pretentious, but then I’m sure plenty others do love it.

I also find the playlists a bit narrow and samey and I find it doesn’t play that broad a selection of music, but then my partner thinks they play a very board selection of music so that proves my point that everyone has a different taste and it’s difficult to appeal to everyone all the time.

ElShalimo

Isn’t this the new “What tyres for….” thread?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Why (considering the unique way it’s funded) they can’t just have a station that plays music without any of the other shite I don’t know

There you go:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tracks/find/6music
    https://open.spotify.com/user/bbc_playlister/playlist/2HWJmnQ2FcXP1nItQULVKa

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I like about 70-80% of it’s output but will turn off:

Giles Petersen, Jarvis Cocker, Liz Kershaw.

Take or leave:
    Steve LeMaq (too many Listeners call ins)
    MAH

We do have a 3 song rule as Mrs SBH wont tolerate stuff thats strays too far from the mainstream – 3 shit songs in a row and it get turned off/over to R2…Mark Riley is the main culprit here.

lucky7500

km79 – Member
    They play good music but I can’t stand the bits inbetween. Why (considering the unique way it’s funded) they can’t just have a station that plays music without any of the other shite I don’t know.

If I had a time machine I would suggest my local commercial station in the 90’s. The tagline was ‘no rap, less chat’!

redmex
    Free Member

Well i like Cerys show lots of wee gems from time to time she plays makes me want to listen to more of certain music
    Mary Anne love listening to her dulcet tones but the music is not for me, i’m a floater between 6 radio 2 and 5 live just dont like Chris Evans or Fern whatshername or that big girl who sometimes stands in for jeremy vine Vannessa she is the worst on the radio

failedengineer

I really like Radcliffe and Maconie, although SM can be a bit annoying talking over the top of MR all the time. Listen to Giles Petersen sometimes, it makes me smile how he bangs on about how some obscure jazz musician who probably sells 3 records a year is the most important human being in the universe. I like Cerys, too. Marc Riley is OK in small doses, a lot of the stuff he plays grates on my 60-odd year old nerves. Not keen on any of the others I’ve heard though, a bit too ‘DJ’ for me.

IdleJon

No love for Craig Charles here?

ElShalimo

Lazy Sunday brunch with Cerys in the background is a wonderful thing
    Hobbs – no, just no. She’s in for Keaveney next week so watch out for the complaining threads

emsz
    Free Member

What else would I listen to?

Although…The Archers…it’s really addictive! (Think GF’s mum is to blame)

edlong
    Free Member

No love for Craig Charles here?

Bin dun. And quite recently too…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-craig-charles-funk-and-soul-show

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Giles Petersen, Jarvis Cocker, Liz Kershaw.

Take or leave:
    Steve LeMaq (too many Listeners call ins)
    MAH

I think Jarvis makes great radio. Gilles depends on my mood (and his) – sometimes I love it, sometimes it gets too smooth and I need something else. Liz is hilarious (HIYA!) but I don’t turn her off.

Steve Lamacq gets me switching to spotify regularly – his ‘stuck in 1996’ music taste, championing of yet another landfill indie band, “world cups” and interest in kicky-ball do it for me.

frankconway

Cerys is good – love the music and most of the bits in between are pretty good.
    Gid Coe is IMO the best on there.
    Hobbs – like the music but her voice….less so.
    Tom Robinson – good all round.
    Craig Charles – music is, mostly, great; he, however, is not.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I record the evening shows and playback when the daytime DJ witter-f**kery has reached critical mass.

maccruiskeen

Music radio ‘talky bits’ date back to the ‘Needle Time’ agreement. Early in the history of radio most the music you heard was by live bands – playing recorded music was considered a threat to musicians incomes so the Needle Time Agreement meant there could only be a certain percentage of recorded music played every hour.

To begin with the agreement only allowed a station 30 hours recorded music a week. When audiences became less interested in in-house big bands and more interested in ‘recording artists’ those agreements were still in place and stayed in place for a surprisingly long time (until the late 80s I think) meaning music radio stations had to find something to fill the time in each hour they we’re allowed to play recorded music. Thats what gives us the conventions of quizzes, phone ins, and all sorts of audience interaction.

All those ‘bits’ have become the conventions of the medium – its perfectly possible to have radio without them – I’ve not flicked through the DAB dials for a while but there certainly used to be a few presenter-less uninrerupted music stations. Even though they’re exactly what you’d think the listener wants but even if you like the music they’re just dull. One of the things all those presenter ‘bits’ do is meter out your day. Every show has a ‘broadcast clock’ with the show being played out in roughly the same themes, portions and rhythms every day.

Compared to listening to my iPhone or spotify, having the radio on means the days full of cues – I know if i’m driving to work earlier than normal, I know when I should stop for a bit of lunch, I know I should be packing up and heading home soon, I know when I’m working late, I know when I’m working very late and should try and hammer a bit more quietly. I know when its the weekend (and I’m still working).

They seem to be an annoyance, but the reality is you miss them when they’re not there.

failedengineer

oops, forgot Craig Charles. Like him too.

Merak

Lamaq is 20 years past his best, the format is dire, needs replaced with Ravenscroft.

Kershaw needs replaced with Kate Tempest.

Rad Mac yeah, yeah, yeah need replacing with anyone but those two cunexttuesdays.

I did like Huey Morgan but realise he’s a **** now as well, Katie Puckrick would be my choice on a Saturday.

Love Gideon Coe, mabe he could afternoons, thatd be grand.

Cerys it seems is still breaking those new teeth in and MHB ‘anyway’ breathy a-hole that she is still making a living from them on the weekend mornings, I tell thee Id rather have Jo Whiley, looks good for 61 right enough.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I like listening to Mary Anne and Cerys on a Sunday morning. Calm, quietly spoken, knowledgeable, and a wide range of music.

househusband
    Free Member

I could listen to Cerys talking and just blank out the music bits

Ditto.

(I’m actually quite relieved to hear I’m not the only one.)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Huey Morgan, Iggy Pop.

No complaints

zippykona

Some of it is shit but I’m old enough to remember there being no good music on the radio ANYWHERE.
    When radio 1 added teen spirit to the play list it was like a revolution had taken place.
    I love the record by Shame they played recently. Absolute corker.
    I can’t imagine I would have heard that elsewhere.
    When a shit record (not a fan of most rap) comes on, Planet Rock is next in my presets and they are generally playing an advert.
    BBC I thank you very much.

km79
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

Music radio ‘talky bits’ date back to the ‘Needle Time’ agreement. Early in the history of radio most the music you heard was by live bands – playing recorded music was considered a threat to musicians incomes so the Needle Time Agreement meant there could only be a certain percentage of recorded music played every hour.

To begin with the agreement only allowed a station 30 hours recorded music a week. When audiences became less interested in in-house big bands and more interested in ‘recording artists’ those agreements were still in place and stayed in place for a surprisingly long time (until the late 80s I think) meaning music radio stations had to find something to fill the time in each hour they we’re allowed to play recorded music. Thats what gives us the conventions of quizzes, phone ins, and all sorts of audience interaction.

All those ‘bits’ have become the conventions of the medium – its perfectly possible to have radio without them – I’ve not flicked through the DAB dials for a while but there certainly used to be a few presenter-less uninrerupted music stations. Even though they’re exactly what you’d think the listener wants but even if you like the music they’re just dull. One of the things all those presenter ‘bits’ do is meter out your day. Every show has a ‘broadcast clock’ with the show being played out in roughly the same themes, portions and rhythms every day.

Compared to listening to my iPhone or spotify, having the radio on means the days full of cues – I know if i’m driving to work earlier than normal, I know when I should stop for a bit of lunch, I know I should be packing up and heading home soon, I know when I’m working late, I know when I’m working very late and should try and hammer a bit more quietly. I know when its the weekend (and I’m still working).Cool background info, but…

They seem to be an annoyance, but the reality is you miss them when they’re not there.

…I only listen 30mins in the morning on way to work and 40mins on the way home so I am not convinced.

stu170
    Free Member

I’ll be the first to mention Chris Hawkins then, at 0500 till 0700, listen to him on the drive in for an hour and I think it’s the best show on the radio.
    Then again he’s up against Vanessa feltz in radio 2.

timber

Katie Puckrik is a very poor Huey Morgan substitute.
    Love not having to be up at 3 in the morning to listen to GP.
    Saturdays at home see 6music on for all waking hours, unless Puckrik is on.

jontykint
    Free Member

I’ll be the first to mention Chris Hawkins then, at 0500 till 0700, listen to him on the drive in for an hour and I think it’s the best show on the radio.
    Then again he’s up against Vanessa feltz in radio 2.

He was good until I realised how many times he says “this morning” during his show.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘6 Music’ is closed to new replies.