Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • 6 men. Harrogate. No beer allowed. What to do?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

It’s my wife’s 40th next month and the ‘girls’ are going for some pamper session in the afternoon, leaving 6 blokes needing something to do in/around Harrogate.

I have been told no alcohol (fair call, I get drunk very easily and we are going out for a nice meal later). So – what to do? I am really quite stumped – only two of us have bikes so that’s out and we can’t travel too far as people are travelling from far and wide so won’t be in Harrogate until early afternoon as it is, then we have plans from 7pm onwards anyway.

Inspire me!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Betty’s.

martinhutch

Go and play on the swings in Valley Gardens. Make sure you ask permission from your wife first.

nedrapier

Brimham Rocks for a walk.

bearnecessities
    allan23
    Free Member

Betty’s.

The queue would sort 5 out of 6 hours 🙂

Mother Shipton’s over in Knaresborough should kill a bit of time, I think you can still hire rowing boats and chance your luck on the Nidd in Knaresborough too.

Harrogate itself is a bit sh!t if you’re not drinking from what I remember.

jimmy

Wild Cats

dannybgoode

Go to the Railway Museum in York…

jekkyl

Golf! is there a par 3 course anywhere?

A nice hilly walk?
    Go ape type place?
    Go Karts?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

It was not a serious suggestion.

No-one in their right mind would queue for 4 hours to pay £10 for a scone.

jimdubleyou
    globalti
    Free Member

Visit the Specialized store and finger some nice bikes? There’s a Maplins and a decent cafe in the same parade of shops.

Go for a sauna?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How long do you actually have to kill?

Oh and do not go to mother shiptons. it’s like someone wanted to make the world’s most disappointing tourist attraction

johndoh
    Free Member

You see. Nothing to do at all is there?

Brimham Rocks sounds like the best call so far – I could take our new puppy and one of the other guys has a dog too.

lapierrelady

There’s a paintball place back near the A1
    The rowing boats in Knaresborough are pretty fun
    Mooch round stif
    Cinema?

jekkyl

there is a par 3 course – 6 holes http://www.ruddingpark.co.uk/golf/courses/repton-short-course/

and a bit at the driving range.
    iiwy I’d leave the rest to sort themselves and take the bike. *grin* everyone should cycle!

rOcKeTdOg

massage with happy ending?

johndoh
    Free Member

massage with happy ending?

They’ve stopped doing male only sessions at the Royal Baths for that very reason I believe 🙂

allan23
    Free Member

Oh and do not go to mother shiptons. it’s like someone wanted to make the world’s most disappointing tourist attraction

I’ll admit, I’ve only ever been once, in the 70s on a school trip.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d offer up you all walk hand in hand along the Stray under the full blossom Cherry Trees.

It also has a McDonalds.

It also has a swanky bike shop up Cold Bath Road with a cafe, and huge TV screen where they stream all the Eurosport feeds (and more) It’s called Prologue and 5mins walk from the Bath House.

But I think my hand in hand walks the best idea so far.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll admit, I’ve only ever been once, in the 70s on a school trip.

Nothing has changed.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Get absolutely mullered to show her who is the boss!

kimbers

chemsex party? not technically alcohol

philjunior
    Free Member

For something a little different, go to my uncle’s (small) art gallery:
    http://www.mctague.co.uk/

Or go to my cousin’s modern art gallery for something a little more edgy:

http://www.redhouseoriginals.com/

Not sure if there are any events on at my cousin’s gallery. It’s always worth a look though, and I like the McTague one too, partly just the smell and the fact I always used to go there as a small child to see my uncle.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Walk out through Valley gardens to RHS Harlow carr, stunning gardens, have a couple of pints on the walk back, a couple never hurt anyone. 8)

lunge

Go. To. The. Pub.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bikebuoy – thank you and I know (I live in Harrogate!) I just can’t think of anything that sounds remotely like a good idea for something to do that doesn’t involve an afternoon in the newly opened North Bar or 10 Devonshire Place or Swan on the Stray or Old Bell Tavern or Coach & Horses or Tap ‘n Spile…..

johndoh
    Free Member

Walk out through Valley gardens to RHS Harlow carr, stunning gardens, have a couple of pints on the walk back, a couple never hurt anyone.

Or, as we live in Whinney Lane, we’d actually start at Harlow Carr, through the Pine Woods then exit Valley Gardens right next to Hale’s Bar.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Then you’ve answered and covered all options..

Pub it is then 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could go help the BIL on the Farms up on Lady Lane.. It’s both Calving and Lambing season…….

….

We have spare wellies.

johndoh
    Free Member

You could go help the BIL on the Farms up on Lady Lane

5 minutes from my house 🙂

jekkyl

Who puts up a thread asking for suggestions for things to do where they already live?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fancy a ride one day?

Daffy

johndoh – Member
    Bikebuoy – thank you and I know (I live in Harrogate!) I just can’t think of anything that sounds remotely like a good idea for something to do that doesn’t involve an afternoon in the newly opened North Bar or 10 Devonshire Place or Swan on the Stray or Old Bell Tavern or Coach & Horses or Tan ‘n Spile…..

Had North Bar in Leeds for ages and it truly is EPIC! Full of tw4tw4nkery types and quite expensive, but a great selection of beers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Who puts up a thread asking for suggestions for things to do where they already live?

Somebody who can’t go to the pub?

I’d go to the pub.

scandal42
    Free Member

Hotel room, loads of coke and hookers.

No booze in sight and the Mrs will now know she can trust you, winner.

flowerpower
    Free Member

@ allan23 – Aspin Park or Meadowside??

OP – If you do go for the row boats in Karesborough there is also Pitch and Put just along the road at Conyngham hall plus pleanty of space for walking the dogs. Near the boats there are multiple tea rooms, homemade ice cream and the occasional p. u. b.

http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/pos/Pages/ConynghamHallGrounds.aspx

Home

johndoh
    Free Member

Somebody who can’t go to the pub

This – I can think of plenty of things to do in Harrogate involving beer and things for the family, but it’s a bit thin on the ground for much else, especially for a group of blokes.

Brimham Rocks still has it for me.

fionap

Go to the pub anyway – but critically, don’t get pissed. Surely this is possible for a group of adults?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘6 men. Harrogate. No beer allowed. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.