Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 6 hours in Chester with my bike
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I am in Chester having a gas tank fitted to my camper van and have the best part of day to mooch around with my singlespeed in and around the city. Don’t really know the city and would welcome suggestions for nice pubs, parks, places, routes out the city along the river.
    Ta

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The Brewery Tap.
    The Park.
    The Cycleway from the park through The Groves and The Racecourse for as far as you want.
    🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

You could cycle to the Eureka cycle cafe at Two Mills. A good portion of the route can be done on the cycle way

tomaso
    Free Member

Sounds good thanks. The industrial estate I am going to is on the west side near Saltley, so the river route would be ideal.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You can pick up the cycleway from Saltney, across from Go Outdoors. It’s a short ride into the city from there or you could head up towards Parkgate and/or the Eureka cafe.

thecaptain
    Free Member

IMO you’re probably better off heading out eastish into cheshire for a nice ride or south to wales if you want more hills. We used to live up wirral and hated that tedious ride down the peninsula before we could get anywhere for a decent ride. Worlds’ end, horseshoe pass…plenty of good riding in that direction. Chester itself is worth a visit too. Up wirral for beans on toast? Not my idea of a fun day out.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

IMO you’re probably better off heading out eastish into cheshire for a nice ride or south to wales if you want more hills. We used to live up wirral and hated that tedious ride down the peninsula before we could get anywhere for a decent ride. Worlds’ end, horseshoe pass...plenty of good riding in that direction. Chester itself is worth a visit too. Up wirral for beans on toast? Not my idea of a fun day out.

He’s taking a singlespeed… 😛
    If you’re lucky, you might get to see the Beluga coming in or leaving Broughton.

project
    Free Member

Sounds good thanks. The industrial estate I am going to is on the west side near Saltley, so the river route would be ideal.

From saltney ferry, over footbridge, and turn right for chester city centre, or left up the river dee, till next blue bridge, cross bridge on crossing and continue up tarmaced path,till the john summers office block, now empty, awaiting conversion to hotel, turn left for north wales over bridge, or right for the wirral down slope and turn left, follow route past toyota engine plant, morrissions meat factory and under bypass, follow route across marshes and stop at Neets Cafe for some food, continue on and stop at pub for some beer, either turn round or continue–look for signs for wirral way or route 56 sustrans route, and follow back to chester.

Mostly flat and full of fresh air

tomaso
    Free Member

I don’t mind rolling hills on the singlespeed but I hate being defeated and having to get off, so ideally need to avoid steep long climbs as I will crucify my knees!

thecaptain
    Free Member

ok, perhaps best to give north wales a miss then. cheshire plains are pretty flat, plenty of nice cycling there. tho I guess parkgate and up wirral is ok for a single ride, it was doing it every bloody weekend for 5 years that did my head in.

marcus7
    Free Member

I’d suggest a mooch up toward beeston with a stop at the ice cream farm pretty flat and nice countryside…

kendonagasaki

For what it’s worth from somebody who lives in Saltney, I would go with projects suggestion and head out towards the Wirral over the marshes.
    I would probably come back on myself up as far as the cycleway and head left towards Chester and do a little sightseeing on your way back. Come off at the canal and pass Telfords for a drink and then up the Northgate Locks and follow the road into town past the Cathedral and all the lovely sights :-). Follow the cycle route around the racecourse and follow the riverside path back to the bridge at Saltney Ferry and back to your van.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Forget the horseshoe pass do the old horseshoe pass…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’d suggest a mooch up toward beeston with a stop at the ice cream farm pretty flat and nice countryside…

Seconded. Out to Beeston Castle, pint in the Shady Oak or tea at the Tattenhall Ice Cream Farm on the way back. Park the bike in Chester and walk round the city walls then if its sunny a pint in The Architect’s beer garden or if it isn’t take the cycle path round the racecourse to Telford’s Warehouse. Then, suitably refreshed, back on the cycle way to Saltney

tomaso
    Free Member

Cheers all, getting ready to hit the M6!

tomaso
    Free Member

Well it’s cool damp and grey in Chester. Off along the river to see where it takes me and how far I can get without having to put on waterproof trousers…

martinhutch

Nice pic for a doubletake. Thought you were just northern and overly concerned about bike security.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘6 hours in Chester with my bike’ is closed to new replies.