Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 6-bolt vs Centrelock
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’m in the process of specing some new wheels and have the option of CL or 6-bolt.
    I’ve currently got 6-bolt but was wondering if there are any benefits of CL or would I be better to stick with what I’ve got?

rocketman
    Free Member

Benefits hmm probably not but if you appreciate things that fit together well you’ll like centrelocks

Have recently fitted some RT81s and they barely need the lockring to stay in place

Note that if you have a 15/20 mm axle you’ll need an external BB-style lockring

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some need 2 tools, front and rear can be cassette tool and BB tool, so me I’m well out. PITA arse for travel for me

JoB
    Free Member

centrelock are less of a PITA for taking on and off than 6 bolts for me, that’s about it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apart from the 2 extra tools I’d need to carry, especially flying where weight counts. (personal thing but twice every 6-8 weeks would piss me off)

sillyoldman

C/L much less of a PITA to fit and remove.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Both work well, advantages and disadvantages to both.
    If your taking it on a plane ever I would say 6 bolt as the tool you need is on your multitool…if not flip a coin

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Are the more fancy Shimano Freeza rotors only Centrelock? Thats about as much of an advantage I can think of…

spooky_b329

Centrelock…I’ve had enough of seized in and rounded off hex and torx bolts, I’ve drilled several out in the past.

jimw
    Free Member

On balance, if starting from scratch with a wheelset with an option of either I’d choose centrelock.

Pluses-it is very easy to fit rotors and can you use most standard 6 bolt rotors with an adaptor. I already have the tools as most are done with the cassette tool and those that are bigger use hollowtec BB tool. No more phaffing with bolts which I find very tedious after a while.

Minuses- more difficult to deal with or change on a trail (but when was the last time I had to do that?- oh yes, never) need one/ two extra tools if not already in your tool box. IIRC You can’t use Hope floating rotors with the adaptor, or 6 bolt XT rotors if you already have them

swanny853

Given the choice on the same hub I’d pick centrelock (in fact I just did), it’s just easier to use. But I haven’t for the last few years because the hubs I wanted didn’t take it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Centrelock hubs tend to be lighter too.

stevied
    Free Member

Just realised they don’t do the 20mm hub with centrelock so 6-bolt it is..

hypnotoad
    Free Member

If your existing wheels are 6 bolt then I’d stick with 6 bolt, as you can swap parts between wheels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘6-bolt vs Centrelock’ is closed to new replies.