Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 6 Acres, what should we do with it?
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We have just taken charge of 6 acres of land (family smallholding) building on it isn’t an option so what do we grow?
    We can only make it over there once a week so I guess any livestock would be out of the question. What can we do to get some income from it? Grow Xmas trees? Or hops? Rent it for grazing? Any ideas singletrackers? Just a massive field at the moment so pretty much a blank canvas in Leicestershire.
    Cheers

noteeth
    Free Member

Fracking?

loddrik
    Free Member

Get another 34 and get a mule on there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    godzilla
    Free Member

Put some stables up and charge wannabe yah-yah’s a gazilion quid for livery.

stu170
    Free Member

Have you seen the athertons front yard. That but bigger

legend
    Free Member

Start with a pump track, then onto Stu’s idea

ninfan
    Free Member

Soil type?

If near a town, then renting out for horse grazing has to be high on the list

You say Leicestershire – are you within the national forest boundaries? Still some good grant money to be had for planting if you are!

nickjb
    Free Member

To make money, solar farm. To enjoy it pump track and some shore

thepurist

Rent out “grow your own” plots for all the trendy wood burner types.

johndoh
    Free Member

Grow Christmas trees.

I keep trying to convince my in-laws to do it – £50 a pop for a 6 footer, thousands could be grown on there, only have to work for about 4 months of the year.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Livery starts at around £125 per month for DIY with a stable per horse – bear in mind that you need roughly one acre per horse for grazing/exercise but than can be pushed slightly but not much.
    Post and rail fencing is expensive, taping is better as you can rotate the paddocks/grazing BUT you will need to consider electric tape into that and that ISN’T cheap!
    6 acres of reasonable quality grazing will allow 6-8 horses of 14 hands plus, stable block is going to set you back £2k+, fencing at least £1k, water will need to be available too.

redstripe
    Free Member

I grow 3 varieties of Xmas trees, have done for 20 + years, needs to be well hiddden though else people nick them as you approach the festive season. You can get Forestry Commission or Natural England grants I think for planting native broadleaves and higher proportion for orchards etc (not for Xmas trees though, but 30cm saplings can be had for a £1, you’ll have big enough ones to sell in about 4-6 years). Planting for Coppicing worth looking at for supplying poles (not the nation) and charcoal burners. All depends on the land and what might grow best there – look what does best surrounding it.

Renting it out to horsey types can be an earner but to pay a fair whack they’ll want good access, water supply and decent stock fence / hedges. And then still probably moan about something.

Use for camping/events for up to 28 days a year, you don’t need planning permission /licence.

Cameron’s mate Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall used to do that land share thing where you let people grow stuff on it (take some produce in return).

I want to do this on our land: http://www.history.co.uk/shows/seeking-salvage but Mrs won’t allow.

Otherwise don’t do anything and just use as an escape to camp on yourself & enjoy

molgrips
    Free Member

If you grow Christmas trees please prune them, they look much better 🙂

richmars

Natural burials.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Waters no problem there a natural well on there. The place is only about 4 miles outside of Leicester so the private allotment idea could run as well.
    How much would you need for an allotment? I’ve never had one.
    Coppicing willow sounds like a nice little earner too.

jam-bo

Is it on a flood plain? If so, Build 300 houses on it

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Natural burials? Who for the local mob? 😆 😆

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Avontyrryll the salvage yard looks great, I have actually thought about it too, would I need permission from the council for change of use etc?? Seems you can’t do anything without them breathing down your neck.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Carp fishing pool.

redstripe
    Free Member

Salvage yard – depends where you live (ours is in a national park and has a pretty strict local plan) I’m guessing you’d need some kind of change of use permission (from agricultural/pasture/forestry) if running a business like this from it. I wouldn’t risk just doing it without checking first, neighbours /passers-by would probably report anyway if it was very obvious and people coming and going etc If you ask the question to local authority you can guess what they’d say but I suppose it varies from place to place. I’d love to do it though

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Can you turn it into a camp ground? Sort of place where your kids can run riot, you can have an fire, rope swings from the big trees etc etc. You’d need a shower block/washing facilities but proper campgrounds are becoming very popular as more and more folk are trying to get away from caravaners and manicured lawns.

chiefgrooveguru

Get another 34 and get a mule on there.

You just don’t get insight of this quality over on pinkbike!

redstripe
    Free Member

burial ground – there’s one near us that started a few years ago that seems to be doing very well, http://www.woodlandburialground.co.uk/Our-Burial-Grounds/Hinton-Park/ could be because the area has about the highest proportion of old people in the country though, particularly popular for non-religious folks too

andyl
    Free Member

Shame you are not near bristol as I would have rented it off you for sheep grazing.

One easy thing to do is grow hay. Up to 100 small bales per acre 2 times a year. £5 per bale to horse owners etc.

Get a contractor to do all the work and either pay them cash or split the hay with them for them to sell.

One problem is you need somewhere to keep it out of the rain.

yossarian
    Free Member

Why not plant indigenous flora on it and invite your friends over in the summer.

Not rich but still popular.

brokenbanjo

Gypsy camps always go down well.

Rosss
    Free Member

Private paintball woodland?

Shorty12
    Free Member

If you need any fencing doing we’ll do it depending where you live.

samuri
    Free Member

Allotments. Five billion pounds.

JoeG
    Free Member

Rent out “grow your own” plots for all the trendy wood burner types.

Rent out “grow your own” plots for all the trendy wood weed burner types. FTFY

wiggles
    Free Member

Nudist-windfarm-campsite

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Nudist-windfarm-campsite

I’m in!

finephilly
    Free Member

The xmas tree business can get very nasty (sabotage etc!). You could go for sweet chestnut or ash plantations for firewood/ natural crafts/ fencing. The payback is long and profits smallthough – 10 years before they reach a decent size.

iolo
    Free Member

Polytunnels and marijuana.
    Get a load of illegal immigrants to work there and pay them virtually nothing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Gypsy camps always go down well.

Almost, but caravan storage would my 1st enquiry. Put a big fence around with trees on the outside, some cctv cameras…work out how many caravans you can get on 6 acres & multiply it by around £300 & that’s your yearly income.

Polytunnels and marijuana.
    Get a load of illegal immigrants to work there and pay them virtually nothing.

Pointless, they’d smoke all the profits.

wonnyj
    Free Member

1MW solar farm about £1m investment. Have sheep or wildflower meadow underneath the racks.

JoeG
    Free Member

Meth lab?

batfink
    Free Member

Helipad?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Where abouts in Leicestershire?

Bunnyhop

Some for a wildflower hay meadow, some for an orchard, some for leisure for yourself and the rest to rent out for allotments.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘6 Acres, what should we do with it?’ is closed to new replies.