Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 5wt and 15wt suspension oil for my pikes
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

What do i buy, does it have to be “bike specific” or will halfords have what i need?

solamanda
    Free Member

Halfords is unlikely to have oil as low weight as 5wt. Motorbike shops are the best. You can use 5wt throughout, as long as you do the lowers service often the weight isn’t too critical. I use various leftover 10-20wt oils in the lowers of forks which I have leftover from previous applications. You can even use motor oil in the lowers.

BoardinBob

Halfords only had 10w stuff for motorbikes a couple of weeks back.

the bikehut section was clueless when i ask.

Evans didn’t stock it.

A local motor factors had no idea either.

Try a proper motorbike place, failing that order it online.

goog
    Free Member

sheldon motor cycles has 15w Rob

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have got 7.5w (bikehut) suspension oil. can i use that throughout?

retro83
    Free Member

Fully synthetic motor oil works well as semi-bath lube. It’s made to be slippery rather than provide consistent damping.

Del

15wt from a motorbike shop cost just over a fiver the other day. OT a litre of dot 4 brake fluid was even less at the same place.

adey205
    Free Member

running with 7.5w in mine, and they’re perfectly fine. tbh better than with 5w, more suited to my weight, so no need to uprate spring

racing_ralph
    Free Member

These are air Pikes tho so no spring issues.
    Annoyingly i only need 30ml of 5wt oil as i already have 90ml!! Grrr

If i mix 30ml of 7.5wt with 90ml of 5wt – what weight oil will i have?

Its for the rebound and compression circuit

solamanda
    Free Member

If i mix 30ml of 7.5wt with 90ml of 5wt – what weight oil will i have?

Try it, it’s unlikely to make a huge difference. Suspension fluid measuring standards do vary so 5wt off the shelf is unlikely to be the same as what RS fit in the factory.

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    solamanda
    Free Member

Search for silkonline or rock oil fluid, it’s usually a third of the price of MTB stuff, (usually you get a litre for the price of a tiny ‘mtb’ bottle).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

need to get it in sheffield today 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

just mix the rob, it really does not require this level of precision

racing_ralph
    Free Member

anyone any experience of mixing oils?

does 75% 5wt and 25% 7.5wt equate to 5.6wt or is it more complex than that?

clubber
    Free Member

It depends on the oil. Some don’t mix well and give unexpected results – typically thicker than expected.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

just put it in!!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no – why would i **** up my forks just because you say so?? If i know it will be ok i will do it, if not then i will wait

solamanda
    Free Member

racing_ralph – the 5wt oil is unlikely to be the same rating as the oil RS fit in the fork. You could tell the difference if you put in 10wt v 5wt but 1/2wt difference is irrelevant. Fact is the old oil is likely to be heavily degraded so your mix will feel alot better.

It won’t **** up your forks, its a push bike with a person on it, not a crane or a tank! Alot of suspension tuning relies on changing fork oil weights!

They don’t mix like a normal ratio. Afaik you need less of the higher wt oil in the mix than a normal ratio. The actual calculation can be found on the web somewhere. But as I’ve said, it’s irrelevant.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

will give it a go solamanda – i trust your opinions and judgement as you actually ride and ride well!

goog
    Free Member

do what it says on the tin 🙄

solamanda
    Free Member

Hehe, thanks I think! If you are pulling pikes apart on a diy basis you may find it better to change the damper oil by removing the damper rod from the bottom of the uppers – just remove the circlip. The normal method of removing the motion control damper from the top of the fork works fine BUT the assembly is quite sensitive and fragile, quite likely you’ll find it’ll leak after reassembling and you won’t have spare seals to fit.

If you do it my method make sure you allow some time for any oil to empty from the damper still in the top of the fork – leave the lock out function set off.

However if they already leak (like most do) then ignore me. ;o)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

done it now – so lets see!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

seem fine – lets see now!!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Rockshox use torco RFF fork oil iirc.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have bought a litre of 5w rock oil and 15w rock oil for £16. should see me right for 8 services

adeward
    Free Member

you can mix the stuff, but try to keep it from the same oil company then if you mix 50/50 5 and 10 oil you should have 7.5,,

racing_ralph
    Free Member

one was orange and from bike hut other was green and finish line 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

oh dont mix orange and green oils the colour would be nasty brown,,,,

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol

twohats
    Free Member

Rockshox use torco RFF fork oil iirc.

Yep they do, and they also regrade the oil weight too!!!

Rock Shox 2.5wt is Torco 5wt! Rock Shox 5wt is Torco 7wt, and so on…

adeward
    Free Member

why ?

zangolin
    Free Member

Enduro Bearings + fork seals website has a nice pictorial guide to servicing Pikes (duel air ones). They recommend multigrade 5w-40 synthetic oil.

The multi-viscosity, fully synthetic motor oil we chose to use is made by Amzoil®. Any other reputable brand is acceptable. Note that RS recommends straight 15wt oil. This is OK, but the oil recommend sticks to the parts better and provides better performance.

PDF 4.5mb: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/pike_dual_air3.pdf
    Main site: http://www.enduroforkseals.com

racing_ralph
    Free Member

je james do not stock anything but 20w oil even tho its on there website and in stock. The lad also sent me to a motorbike shop that was shut – class in a glass again!

twohats
    Free Member

why ?

I dunno, ask Rock Shox!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘5wt and 15wt suspension oil for my pikes’ is closed to new replies.