Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 5v & 12v power distrubution
  • petrieboy

I’ve got a cupboard which contains all my network stuff (modem, router, switch, multiple NAS drives) media devices (sonos, TiVo, HTPC, Xbox, HDMI Matrix, IR distribution hub) alongside the landline base station and a few other bits and pieces. thats a lot of stuff to plug in, and at present there are a load of extension cables running the lot.

of that lot, there are at least 10 transformers outputting either 5v or 12v, now the question is, does a device exist that would allow me to consolidate that lot to one or two power distribution devices? and could i expect it to be more efficient?

old photo – it’s even more of a mess now…..

TheBrick
    Free Member

most electronics runs off of 5v, 3.3v or 1.2v, but a 12 v device might be requiring 12v for a motor and then there would be an internal power supply and regulation dropping down to 5v, 3.3v or 1.2V. If voltage vary to much this can mean the internal voltage regulation, may not work, logic may not work e.t.c.

So in essence you will need to power each device at their required input voltage, hence you will need either 2 power supplies or one that output 2 voltage. However be aware of tip polarity, however usually the small pin in the female socket is usually +ve. So if you have two power supplies that can deliver enough amps then you could keep all the 5v and 12v in parallel. You can also probably make things better with some good cable management, look as cable wrap e.t.c.

molgrips
    Free Member

You probably would not save any power. Transformers are pretty efficient.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    petrieboy

the transformers are all either 5v or 12v and none more than 1.5A (output) i think what i need is a couple of great big transformers with suitable ampage and outputs

Junkyard
    Free Member

get some transformers but be aware that many electronic things need stable voltages – not sure what you can get that will have all the outputs and ends you need tbh without cut the cables to the ones you have and using those

Del

wot molgrips said.

andyl
    Free Member

you could use an ATX PSU (a computer one) as they do 12V and 5V as well as things like 3.3V etc.

I don’t know if using one is more efficient than simple transformers though. Depends how much stuff you need to run.

you can normally bodge an ATX PSU to power on without a PC by connecting the power on pin on the main connector to ground. I use them as bench top PSUs for testing stuff as they are powerful (most are easily over 10A on the 12V rails) and have stable voltages and I can connect my earth strap to the casing. Sometimes you need a load on the PSU for it to stay running. I have one PSU like this I use to power some low power lasers so just plugged an old DVD drive onto one of the connectors which works fine.

cbike
    Free Member

Radio Mic Rack power supply would get you 12 volts from a single distro. Might need to solder connectors to fit. New licensing this year means there might be some on ebay?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘5v & 12v power distrubution’ is closed to new replies.