Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 5'7 ish and under who's on a 29er?
  • ceepers

I’m curious so indulge me!

What have you got and how do you find it?

CheesybeanZ

MrsbeanZ 5’2″ has a mariachi and a ti 4569 and luves them .

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Mate is 5’7″ and had a medium Pinnacle Ramin 3. He found it fine.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I’m about 5’8″, and have (amongst other things) a Medium/18 inch Felt 9. Though its sacrilege almost, I do have a dropper on it. Within reason as its an XC bike, I’ll ride anything with it that I’d do on a 26″

biglee1

Shouldn’t be allowed. Bike shops should have a mark on the wall, if you`re taller than it you can have one otherwise no.

I’m 6’6″ so I can have one 😀

Clover

My friend got to borrow a small Ibis Ripley recently. She’s 5’4. She is now saving up. “It’s the nearest thing to a secret weapon within the laws of gravity”.

Moses

I’m 5’8″ ish, riding a small Haro Mary rigid SS. It fits beautifully and I enjoy riding it very much.
    My road bikes are 700c /29ers too. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

My wife is 4’15” and rides a 29er, although it is a girls one (Trek Cali). We went for that to help her confidence/make it a little easier on technical downhill trails, which it has done. She can tell the difference in agility between that and a 26″ bike on the twisty trails though.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ & 30″ inside leg and prefer a 15.5″ frames for standover/dropper compatibility. For me, on a 29er with suspension forks, I’d struggle to get the handlebars at a height I like. Brought a 650b.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

My wife is 4’15

thegreatape, earlier:

Woodentop
    Free Member

5’5″ on a small / 15″ Trek Stache, cracking bike!

ceepers

I’m 5’6 (and a half ;-))

I’d written 29ers off as too cumbersome for my stature but borrowed a trek stache 7 yesterday and was really surprised. It was fast, as fast as my FS 650b bandit on a couple of descents and it turned fine too (admittedly our trails aren’t that twisty) felt like loads of grip too despite a cheapish fork and narrower bars/longer stem and more spacers than I would have run
    The extra rollover was really noticeable too
    It kind of blew my preconceptions wide open and hinted at a lot of fun with a better (maybe steel) set up for a hardtail on my local trails

My hard tail (soul) gets winter and change of pace use but only locally now I have a FS. The n+1 itch has got me thinking solaris/ transition trans am29/ Stanton Sherpa

Just wondered what others experiences were

GJP
    Free Member

5′ 7″ here ride a Trek Superfly 17.5 inch. Plenty of stand over and I have little legs but long arms.

ceepers

I should add I’m definitely in the trail camp not “xc” but our local loops aren’t that gnar and involve a decent amount of climbing

dirtyrider
    Free Member

5’6″

Medium Tallboy
    Small Krampus

thegreatape
    Free Member

thegreatape, earlier:

You’re not far off there

david47
    Free Member

5’5″. A trek superfly… Billy brilliant 🙂

jonnyrockymountain

5’8″ with medium sync NICE!

beiciwr64
    Free Member

5’5″ Small Commencal Meta AM
    Thought i would never buy a 29 until i tested one while waiting on parts for my 650B.
    Bought the Meta and absolutely love it,it’s my preferred bike for trail centre riding now.
    Find it great if i’m a bit tired or lazy just roll it down the tracks and hold on 🙂 Bit more hands on with the 650 i find.
    Time wise find it on par with the 650 at CYB.

egb81
    Free Member

5ft 7″ and on a Zealous Division. Love it. Wasn’t so keen on other 29ers I tried though.

cozz
    Free Member

im 5 ft 6 and just had this built, seem to get on with it really well so far

nick1962
    Free Member

cozz

Wouldn’t that be better with a dropper post 😉

julzm
    Free Member

5’8″ trek superfly medium 17.5/18.5 frame. No probs here. Climbs fantastically well. Descends like a dream.

dabaldie
    Free Member

5’6 with short legs. Ride a Medium Epic 29. First time I ever rode it was an emergency loan bike for a 12hr event (Bonty24/12). Fitted me like a glove.

andyl
    Free Member

The lovely Emily Batty is only about 5ft 3 or something (according to google) and she races a 29er.

chemister

5′ 7″ with 30″ legs Ripley Med. amazing fast & fun up & down bike

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 7″ (just) and ride a medium surly ogre

z1ppy

If 2nd sales are any indication, seemingly only Medium 29er are sold in large numbers (desperately seeking a L frame)

matt_outandabout

I was looking for an amusing picture of a shorty on a 36″re, but found this instead 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well that looks like the height and wheel size myth is finally disproved

29erKeith
    Free Member

Each to their own and all but small medium 29ers just seem odd to me I’m only 6″2′ but I feel my bikes do fit and look right. The small and mediums just seem like a square peg in a round hole to me for the sake of sales (a little like the road.cc article with David Miller on disc brakes in the pellaton) My large 29ers I think should be mediums in the 29er world as the larges and xls don’t seem big enough for some of the giants that we’ve got on here even (mind you in the tall blokes thread on here ages ago there were a few massive guys who were at the time still adamant about 26ers for them) . I do get the difference in feel for the big wheels, I’m far from a skillful rider and do appreciate how they roll over stuff better so make the less skillful of us seem smoother riders, I get it but you must at the smaller end be feeling the down sides of the bigger wheels much more too e.g. Getting up to speed sluggishness in the twisty stuff etc.
    As i said if you like it enjoy, but I just don’t get it myself.

Along the greatApe line, when growing up my mum had a friend affectionally known as “Big Tall Dave”, he’s 7″1′ 😯 proper Andre the giant type of guy huge in everyway forever stooping in buildings doorways just massive. His wife though was 5″1′ 😯 😯 😯 honestly one of the oddest looking couples you’ll ever see. He never drove a car, not being able to get anything comfortable was probably a major factor but I always remember him turning up on a Honda 90 step through thing again just such an odd looking sight. Lovely bloke though proper gentle giant not seen him in years though unfortunately.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not about how they look though, big wheels are just better for some applications.

I’m 5ft 8in and I would probably be on exactly the same bike if I was 2in shorter – it might even fit better.

manton69

The reason I don’t want a 29er in small (which is what I need) is that the geometry is wrong for me. I mostly ride xc and I like the bars nice and low. I either have to have a stem that slopes down or have reduced travel on the forks to get the front end down.

The 27.5s are better proportioned for the smaller frames.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The reason I don’t want a 29er in small (which is what I need) is that the geometry is wrong for me.

Out of interest which ones have you tried? Taking a look at the women on the short side racing XC on 29r’s it might be a case that the numbers don’t tell the entire story.

ceepers

I completely get that they look a bit wrong and shouldn’t work so well for smaller frames and last week I’d have said the same thing but my ride on Friday on trails I know well and have ridden on a 26″ hardtail and a 650b fs really surprised me. I can see the disadvantage in the twisty stuff but locally where I would use one it’s not that twisty.

It just reset my preconceptions

LMT
    Free Member

Im 5ft5 ish, ride a small Canyon: Grand Canyon and while it may have odd looks, its an awesome bike to ride, feels comfortable on the trails able to pick up some pace on the road between trails. Highly recommend it, a great little (big) bike!

Pickers

5’8″ just about here, but a 32″ inseam. Very comfy riding on or offroad and touring on a medium Surly Ogre

ceepers

It also occurred to me that I do a lot of off-road miles up and downhill on a cx bike which is essentially a rigid 29er with crap tyres and a super racey position

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s weird because a CX bike feels to me more like a 29er than a 26er, but the outer diameter of the tyre looks closer to 26in.

Maybe the low BB gives that feeling of stability.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘5'7 ish and under who's on a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.