Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • 534GB 886MB downloaded in the past 46 hours
  • mazz
    Free Member

Saw similar scary stats on my VM Superhub. Unplugged devices one by one. Couldnt work out what was pulling through so much data. All the devices it could “see” were ones I could ID. In the end stopped worrying about it.

Think also is ‘bits’ rather than bytes.

wwaswas

I checked the connected devices and they were all known to me.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Theres 4.83 years of internet for me there…

Kahurangi

It’s lonely.

piemonster

Strangely fascinating

andyl
    Free Member

How many sheets/rolls of toilet paper for 534Gb of aforementioned ‘Grumble’?

tmb467
    Free Member

Has someone got your wifi password?

Sandwich

That’s where the Pirate Bay has got to. The film and music industry lawyers will be round soon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check the DHCP list, account for all the devices. Round up the kids and ask! If there is something that you don’t know then change the WiFi password. Is there an online login to see what Virgin think you have used?

satchm00
    Free Member

Tivo does like to download HD suggestions though. Mines always downloading crap not that I mind latest seems to be father ted reruns… Ahhh gwan.

Maybe someone cleared out the suggestions folder and its downloaded 50 HD items?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Tivo does like to download HD suggestions though. Mines always downloading crap not that I mind latest seems to be father ted reruns… Ahhh gwan.
    Maybe someone cleared out the suggestions folder and its downloaded 50 HD items?

Doesn’t the TiVo box have it’s own internet connection that comes straight off the fibre optic cable, rather than via the superhub? Mine does.

wwaswas

our tivo box has an ethernet cable going to it from the router/modem and appears as an attached device on the hub. Whether it uses that to download everything or just for Netflix type stuff I don’t know.

wwaswas

Currently;

Session Time 2days 15h:1m:23s
    Session Data Downloaded 1983GB 812MB
    Session Data Uploaded 3GB 57MB

and 14 devices connected at the moment (all of which I recognise).

I’m surprised the LAN cables aren’t melting.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

How do you even have 14 devices on there?!
    I have 8 and thought that was loads (between two of us, granted).

wwaswas

son: phone, tablet, laptop, xbox
    daughter: ipod, phone
    Wife: iphone, ipad, laptop
    me: PC, phone
    general: NAS, 2 wireless access points, Tivo box

That’s 15, think my wife turned her laptop on since I last looked.

samuri
    Free Member

The ethernet to the Tivo is so you can control it with an iPhone IIRC.
    I think it also gives you the option of setting recordings when you’re not in the house.

To the suggestions that someone might have cracked the wifi password, the virgin superhub passwords while of a known format, are long and apparently random. Trust me, I’ve tried cracking one a using fairly beefy dedicated GPU setup that has been succesful in the past at brute forcing and I got bored after a week of it heating my study up and stopped it. There were much easier targets.

wwaswas

So if someone cracked either the wi-fi password or the one I have on the web interface to it (both aren’t the original ones) would their device still show on the connected devices list or can they hide them from me?

darrenspink
    Free Member

No they can’t hide. The router would show the connected mac address. Easiest way to eliminate this potential problem is change the passwords for both, reboot the devices and watch what connects. Then monitor over 24hrs. I could be that someone in your house likes watching a lot of hd videos..simple as that.

verses

The router would show the connected mac address.

Spoofing MAC Addresses is pretty straight-forward, but presumably if someone had done that there’d be all kinds of routing problems if 2 devices had the same MAC/IP…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Have you tried switching all attached devices off for 1 hour and seen what happens to the usage figures?

wwaswas

I’m tempted to switch the NAS off for a bit and see what happens. I do wonder how much of the traffic relates to that.

xiphon
    Free Member

Any automated backups to the NAS from the PC/laptops?

Unplug everything from the router, reset the stats, and monitor what happens when you plug stuff back in.

wwaswas

Any automated backups to the NAS from the PC/laptops?

Running Memeo on a PC and two laptops plus the NAS is used as a music server.

FuzzyWuzzy

As has been said it’s likely it’s the NAS using jumbo frames that’s causing the large average packet size and would also be an obvious culprit for large amounts of data shifting around the network. Rather than kill it to check if it’s the case can you throttle the bandwidth used on the NAS device and run your check again?

avdave2

I think you’ve accidentally hit the “download all the totally uninformed advice and bullshit ever posted on STW” button. 🙂

Ogg

the VM super hubs do not accurately record bandwidth – it’s a ‘known’ problem http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-Setup-Equipment/Super-Hub-reports-huge-usage-figures-for-Session-Data-Downloaded/td-p/2084844

–edit though I may have misread the OPs problem…

jock-muttley

Discount the xbox (unless your lad is downloading whole games & films) when online they sip data – yes this did surprise us too when we discovered this.

Our data hogging culprits was one kindle fire, an iPod and a daughter that lied through her teeth (that cost her every electronic device she had).

Trace it using ip addresses and disconnecting devices from network, log into your router diagnostics to achieve this. Institute a rolling password change every week too.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As someone ^^ there said, a strangely interesting post. Will pop back later to see if any Russians or the like have knocked on the door..

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

All I have done while reading this is laugh at DrP’s comments. Top effort!

Some mega traffic though, but as has been said,

VM super hubs do not accurately record bandwidth

I would take that in to account mostly, plus having a NAS will up the number as will an xbox.
    I wouldn’t worry too much… Costs you no extra right?
    As long as you know nobody is leeching from you..?

xiphon
    Free Member

FWIW, my NAS reports I have downloaded (from the web, not internal) 4.6TB of data so far since Sep 2013 (install date). 8Mb Sky ADSL and then Virgin 100Mb was installed in Nov 2013.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ive persisted reading for 70 posts, despite only understanding the ones about making a mess of carpets 😳 🙄

franksinatra

Ive persisted reading for 70 posts, despite only understanding the ones about making a mess of carpets

Same. Seems I know more about grot and mess than I do about IT.

Just a thought, could it be because of the ads on the forum. try logging in as a P and see if that makes a difference.

Failing that, I blame Nick Clegg.

wwaswas

Quick update on this for those vaguely interested…

79580GB 473MB

after 7 days connected.

Regardless of it’s accuracy it’s an impressively large number 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

I’ve never come across packet sizes that large. Most specs we get for customer’s networks ask for HW to support 1600 or maybe 1700, but no where near 5000….

Are you saying you’re working for a company involved in networking and never been asked for kit supporting jumbo frames?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can’t you just pop a Linux machine on your network and run etherape, you would see in a heartbeat where the traffic was from/to? Is what I do ayt work to identify which machines on the router are hogging the bandwidth.

retro83
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Can’t you just pop a Linux machine on your network and run etherape, you would see in a heartbeat where the traffic was from/to? Is what I do ayt work to identify which machines on the router are hogging the bandwidth.

Not much use on a switch though if it’s LAN traffic, or am I misunderstanding etherape?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure, I’ve just never found a network it couldn’t apparently see all traffic on, be it switch or router based? May be my misunderstanding, docs certainly suggest you can’t see switched traffic with it.

zokes
    Free Member

79580GB

80 TB?????? Jesus!

johnners
    Free Member

If those figures are anywhere near correct I’m amazed that your ISP hasn’t been in touch, or even just throttled the connection.

Maybe they’ve got you down as something to do with GCHQ.

wwaswas

Spoke to Virgin media.

In past 30 days we’ve managed

Download: 168Gb
    Upload: 23Gb

with a suggestion that there may be some traffic management going on at peak times (although that only seems to be a 10% penalty on a 30Mbit connection).

They did a line test and have made a change and I’m getting a fairly consistent 30Mbit download 2Mbit upload speeds now so hopefully that’s fixed it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘534GB 886MB downloaded in the past 46 hours’ is closed to new replies.