Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 5:2 Diet
  • jimster01

Anyone tried it?

Reading all the bumpf it seems to make sense but then all eating fads do until you try it.

theotherjonv

Yes, has worked for me to lose about three stone – actually more when i got to real racing weight for a 12 hr solo last year, but then ‘relaxed’ back to a few pounds heavier and a more reasonable weight for me. Have posted at length in some of the threads linked.

Real world update: I still follow it, but not as religiously – not so anal about counting to 600cals per fast day, some weeks i only manage one fast day, and since Oct last year 4 or 5 lbs has crept back on to my stable weight. 13’8 this morning, so 9 lbs heavier than my 12:12 race weight and I’d like to get back to about 13’3 which is BMI 25.5.
    The real world experience bit is that it’s not the fast days failing that has led to this slight weight gain, but an absolute disregard to what I’ve shovelled in on non-fast days over Christmas and to a lesser extent since. Cakes, doughnuts, pork scratchings, etc….. While I’m utterly convinced the fasting has limited the damage done it doesn’t remove the need to eat sensibly most of the rest of the time!!

wwaswas

andymc06
    Free Member

Works for me. Been doing it for a year. Steadily lost 1st and 2% body fat. Not amazing stats on first impressions but I have been eating and drinking whatever I want on 5 days of the week. I’m in the best shape I have been in for years and it’s easy to stick to once you are used to it.

zippykona

Can we have a food diary of what you can eat on a typical diet day?

Solo
    Free Member

I thought it was about the number of calories, not specific food items ?

I still follow it, but not as religiously – not so anal about counting to 600cals per fast day

andymc06
    Free Member

It can be anything at all up to 600 kcals. I generally have a poached egg on one brown toast (no butter) around midday then a salad plate with sliced meat, salad leaves (full bag), pickles and ryvita. Surprisingly filling! Tea and coffee is free without milk and sugar. As I say, once you get used to it after a couple of weeks it’s easy.

theotherjonv

What i meant by

I still follow it, but not as religiously – not so anal about counting to 600cals per fast day

is actually contained in the book. For ‘maintenance’ you might find that 800/day is enough, or maybe only doing 1 fast per week, or 3 per fortnight, or whatever. That’s where i found it worked for me, being more flexible than having to calorie count to 1500 or 1600 calories per day every single day.

Also, the point is made that 600 (500 for women) is not absolutely prescriptive, it’s a broadly empirically derived number that seems to balance having the desired effect with being manageable for those that try it.

Plenty of discussion in the linked threads on this but typical for me would be

Breakfast – med sized bowl of porridge made with skimmed milk. Sweetener or maybe a sprinkle of raisins. Or a two egg omelette with spinach and chorizo.

Dinner; lean protein, about 200-250g of white fish or chicken breast, grilled. Plus as many vegetables as i fancy (last night was 3 largish carrots)

Where I say i’m less anal now, i used to weigh out all the ingredients to stick to the 600 cal allowance. Now I’m a/ better at guesstimating, and b/ I don’t really care if it’s exactly 600 or maybe closer to 700, as long as it’s ballpark and it isn’t 2500.

warton
    Free Member

I try to have one fruit day a week.

1 piece of fruit every two hours. from 8 to 5, then nothing

nicko74

My concern would be that on the day after the fast day, you end up pigging out in a “I’ve earned this” way – much like you might do after a tough ride or a long run. How do you find that?

My OH is currently trying a 5:2 alcohol diet. It’s just making her more annoying, with no noticeable impact on her weight… 😉

jimster01

My concern would be that on the day after the fast day, you end up pigging out in a “I’ve earned this” way – much like you might do after a tough ride or a long run. How do you find that?

This is something I’ve been thinking,but I don’t think you would be inclined to consume twice as many calories as a “normal” day because of the sheer volume of food to be eaten.

theotherjonv

1/ As jimster said – to eat that much isn’t as easy as you’d think.

2/ Despite what the book says, i don’t think there’s any ‘magic’ to the 5:2. All the stuff about cellular regeneration and the like, to me is secondary – if it’s true and i benefit from it, all well and good but i do it to initially lose weight, and now to maintain it. It certainly isn’t magic in the sense that you can eat whatever you want for 5 days a week, it’s just a means of restricting weekly calories in a way that fits my lifestyle better.

5 days at 2400 + 2 at 600 = 13,200/week, average 1885/day or about 500cals/day deficit over eating normally. Even if a couple of your 5 days go over, you’ll still be in credit, whereas trying to do 1900/day every single day is much harder – believe me, i tried often enough.
    But it works best if you still eat normally and healthily on the 5 days as well, you don’t have to live like a monk, nor should you live like a King.

sweepy
    Free Member

I don’t think there are any diets that work over more than a couple of years.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Are any of the protagonists – weeksy, randomjeremy et al still doing this I wonder?.

thecaptain
    Free Member

We’ve been doing it off and on since we heard about it. Not very seriously at the moment, just trying to have the odd “light” day (lots of travelling, staying with different people, makes it a bit awkward to do rigorously). Also, if we have some significant exercise on that day, we add extra food to allow for this. As others have said, it seems an easy way to keep yourself in check without having to ru(i)n your life on a diet 7 days a week. Had a massive curry, proper eat til it hurts (then eat some more) style, recently, and didn’t feel a pang of guilt or worry. I’m as healthy as I’ve been for years.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff TC.

midlifecrashes

I’m doing it. More in maintenance mode at the minute, one day a week and miss the odd meal out. Started at getting close to 15 stone, took about two and a bit months to get down to 13 stone 10. Once you’ve done the first two weeks it really isn’t hard. Normal exercise is fine on fast days, but can be tough doing a big ride or manual labour the day after a fast(for me).

Typical day for me. Breakfast is tea or coffee, no solids. Lunch is porridge with semi skimmed milk. I prefer making my own, but the sachets of (plain)microwave stuff are 186 cals with the milk. Evening meal, small to medium piece of meat, chicken, beef, tuna with veg and/or salad. If the family are having fajitas, I have the same, but swerve the tortillas and have more leafy stuff. No more food until the following morning. Tea and coffee I drink as usual, splash of semi-skimmed. If I need a snack I keep a bowl of cherry tomatoes, if really struggling I have an apple. Remember, you’re never more than 24 hours from a pork pie!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First day fasting almost done, although I’m not sure what effect if any it’ll have on my sleep. Nowt for brekkie, lunch at 11.30 (I do 7-3) half a portion of muesli and milk, and then a wee cup of homemade tomato soup. Nothing else but black coffee, tea and plenty of water.

I’m surprised how relatively easy it has been, and also how good I feel at the moment, I’m not really hungry just now, had a few heavy hunger pangs throughout the day, but all passed fairly quickly. Definitely helps if you keep busy, next fast day is Thursday, I’m actually looking forward to it a wee bit now.

ico86

Diet Advice

[video]http://youtu.be/VWgwJfbeCeU[/video]

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve tried all sorts of diets, 5:2, iDave, starvation at around 1200 calories a day, Atkins, they all work for a bit but then it piles back on again.

Basically, the thing that is working for me is moving more and eating well but less I.e. Being aware of the calorific values of food.

Still drinking beer in moderation, always feeling satisfactorily full, having good things to snack on if a need a lift (apples, bananas, dried apricots ( they look more like chopped off ears though).

So far, a nice 6KG lighter in 4 weeks of not trying that hard. I’m happy with that as it doesn’t seem like an ordeal.

I am dong Insanity workout 2 says a week (it’s all I can stand) and am jumping onto the turbo for a couple of hours a week too and my job as a land surveyor involved walking about 6 or 7 miles a day currently, but always involved lots of walking usually so only turbo and insanity are me moving more.

weeksy

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Are any of the protagonists – weeksy

I’ve been on-off it over the past year or two. Sometimes I do it for a month, sometimes I then have 2 months off… sometimes I’ve gont 8 weeks without doing it.

Overall, when I’m doing it, the weight comes off.. but I struggle to maintain focus. This week I’ve started it again, the weight over the past 2 months has snuck up a little (5lb) so as a pre-Morzine thing I’ve jumped back on for the next 4 weeks to see if I can take a bit off again. Today is day 2 fasting this week. Monday was fine, Weds are usually a bit tougher.. but OK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seen a few doing it, why not try eating sensibly for 7 days?

Solo
    Free Member

5:2 and such, is a result of the calorie counting culture. So long as nobody gets hurt, leave’em to it, I say.

weeksy

mikewsmith – Member

On your sensible plan I have 7 days without croissants, cheesecake, chocolate hob-nobs.

On the 5-2 I have 2 days without them…. the other 5 I have them…

Why do you think I don’t eat sensibly for 7 days 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

chocolate hob-nob
    Reminds me, I can’t remember the last time I consumed a biscuit. Damn my diet !

cheesecake
    Please be careful with this word. Post it three times and our resident forum athlete may take a few moments out from training to admonish us all for not appreciating the enlightening results of cheesecake worship.

barkm
    Free Member

Experimenting with this having put on half a stone in May thanks to the carnage of 3 40th birthday parties.
    First day was Monday. It was remarkably easy, and bizarrely I have rarely felt so focused, energised and generally ‘on it’. Seriously productive day, and generally felt awesome.
    Genuinely quite excited for my next day, in fact I’ve brought it forward to today.
    Whether it’s effective for losing weight remains to be seen, but if the buzz remains I’m happy with that.
    Very curious, may read up on that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I felt something similar last night bark, felt as if I could go out and have a right blast on the bike (couldn’t as mrs was working) and this morning I wasn’t hungry at all. Bizarre.

wobbem
    Free Member

I’ve been on it since October 2012, twice a week without fail except when I was in the Alps for a week last year. Weight has dropped 83kg to 78.5 kg but now remains steady. I drink beer on the other 5 days. I no longer gets colds, whereas I used to get 2-3 / year without fail. I have got the flu once instead though. It has become second nature now, I deal with hunger pains with a couple cups of herbal tea.
    There are quicker ways to lose weight but I like this as I don’t have to worry what about what I can eat or drink for the other 5 days, although I have never been a glutton.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

i’m less anal now,

You need more fruit and fibre in that case.

honeybadgerx

midlifecrashes – Member
    Remember, you’re never more than 24 hours from a pork pie!

This is a rule to live your life by!

leegee

I started the day after I saw the Horizon episode Aug 2012, I lost 6 lbs in a few weeks and I do fluctuate by a few pounds but not much,I eat like a pig 5 days a week and am 36.
    I’m in it for the long term benefits more than the weight loss, I had dermatitis on my hand for ages from always wearing nitrile gloves, this cleared up with a few weeks of starting the diet and has never returned.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You manage it every week leegee? What do you eat and when on fast days?.

weeksy

Breakfast, coffee x3 till midday.

Lunch 1 apple small 1 banana.

Tea, 2 egg omelette with tomato’s, peppers, onion, ham

Yoghurt.

leegee

I’ve missed a few here and there, winter 12-13 was very cold and at times I was very hungry and went over 600 a few times.

What works for me is keeping calories in hand till the evening, Omega 3 capsule and a cup tea in the morning, High5 extreme during the day and a piece of fruit mid afternoon, Dinner I have 150-200 k cal salad or soup usually. fruit and low fat yogurt.

After nearly 2 years it’s a way of life. No alcohol the night before either makes it much harder.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well, first week done. Decide to weigh in every saturday morning, to try and get a consistent idea of weight, but last time I weighed was 9 days ago, so just over a week.

5.2lbs gone in 9 days 😯 granted, I was out riding til gone 11pm last night, so maybe a little under hydrated, but it’s still a fair old chunk. My work trousers tell a tale too, hanging off me the last few days, need to get a new hole in my belt too!.

theotherjonv

I’d say that’s about par, I reckoned about 2lbs per week to start with and add in the first week effect and maybe as you say a bit of dehydration and 4-5lbs is about right.

Resist temptation to keep weighing, it does fluctuate anyway; as you’re doing set one day as weigh in day and stick to it. And don’t give up the first week you don’t lose any.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘5:2 Diet’ is closed to new replies.