Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 5:10s….. worth the money now? still got card board soles? or alternatives?
  • alpin
    Free Member

my old Nike 6.0s have died a messy, sticky, acrylic death after an accident at work last week. i can no longer find them anywhere and as such am now looking towards getting a pair of high top (i.e. ankle covering) 5:10s.

are they worth the extra? does the sole still disintegrate after a soaking?

yunki
    Free Member

Loving the 5:10 spitfire

great on and off the bike and no probs with the sole

gaberin
    Free Member

Five ten line kings – similar to Nike 6.0s. Although very hard to find in not so stupid colours.
    Had my red/black 2012 ones for 2 years of every day use, sole is finally dieing. Great shoes came from 6.0s to them and they are much better.

SirHC

Specialized 2FO’s are rather good, although don’t come in a hi-top version. The are more waterproof than the 5.10 Impact 2’s, better made and you can just about get away with wearing them at the pub.

sharkattack

I’m using these

Nike Tiempo mid. I thought they looked good for riding and they are perfect. They were in the sales all over a few weeks ago so I grabbed another pair for £35.

FiveTens relegated to a soggy bucket in the garage where they belong. Most over hyped product in all of mountain biking.

Northwind

The latest 5 10s are built very differently. I really didn’t like my new Impacts at all, thought the lack of feel was awful, but they’re well made. If you could get the build quality of the new ones with the soles of the old I’d have that.

My old Impacts and Basics were, to be honest, shit. Good to ride in til they dissolved but that sort of build quality in an outdoor shoe is a joke. But my 2 pairs of more recent Freeriders (not VXIs) are a different kettle of fish. My Sombrios are very good shoes too but don’t quite have the grip.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sombrio Shazam mid top – no problems with grip here but i’ve never tried any other flats specifically for mtb.

Especially like that they’re quality leather with a lace flap, this means that I don’t have to dry them off, just some good shoe polish or proofing and Robert is my mother’s male sibling.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had the same freeriders for years now, only change was for some better laces and a stiffer and more contorued insole. Will probably get some VXI’s for riding and keep the freeriders day to day use.

Northwind

I love my Shazams, actually fit for winter unlike practically everything else. And they have good grip, just not mad limitless grip like 5 10s. Which usually I don’t care about but when I’m knackered or screwing up or out of my depth it’s nice. Still 9/10 times I’d rather have warmer feet.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have a pair of Freeriders (ones without the smooth bit on the sole) and can’t find anything that grips better. They’re pretty comfy and don’t look too ‘special’ either in grey. But they don’t like the wet very much and as a result smell rotten (actually rotten rathern than manky feet).

I bought some cheapo Teva Links from Sport Pursuit and they’re hopeless compared to the Freeriders which have now come out of retirement. I’d like some mew Five Tens but I’m too tight to pay full price and haven’t found any discounted enough.

robinmcc
    Free Member

Out of interest, where online can you get Sombrio Shazams? – I’ve looked and I cant see them for sale anywhere apart from a white pair on Bike24.de

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not really sure why nobody is capable of producing a fiveten that actually looks half decent! Soul is as sticky as hell but apart from that theyr’e just obscene. Only problem is for flats the choiecs are somewhat limited. I looked at the 2FO but wasnt a fan of the massive ventilation holes on the top. Okay for warmer weather but mid winter theres noway my feet would of stayed warm.

saxabar
    Free Member

@Northwind, I bought a pair of Shazam’s when they came up on CRC purely down to your championing of them. Much prefer them to Shimano’s and grip is excellent. Not watertight, but then what is when you have a big hole where your foot goes. Dry considerably quicker than 5.10s!

chambord
    Free Member

I picked up some teva links from a PSA some time ago because people on here have said they’re good.

TBH I find the soles too stiff and they don’t really grip the pedals (They are too stiff to let the pins dig in). I have some five tens which grip the pedals much better but they’re almost worn out now.

EDIT: I can’t find shazams anywhere but some chap on the classifieds has been trying to sell some brand new floats for donkeys years

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I’m running Giro Jacket mid-tops and I like them a lot.

alpin
    Free Member

i already have a pair Tiempos… no, i’ve got two. (25 quid at nike, Freeport). not got the grip of a Mogan. comfy shoe, mind.

hard to find them anywhere in the flesh.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I ordered some 5.10 freeriders from CRC, they turned out to be a bit small so I sent them back. As well as I could judge considering the size they seemed very uncomfortable, all the seams dug in and were quite rough, obviously being the wrong size didn’t help but they weren’t comfy and tight they were rough and tight.

Ordered some Teva Links for £30 quid less which turned up today and they seem very comfy, light and look better than the freeriders IMO. The only complaint I could find on t’internet about the links was grip but I cant rotate my ankle if I put my foot on the floor whilst I can in my old Shimano shoes so it’s at least better than what I had! Apparently waterproofing and durability is better on these too.

sambob
    Free Member

In contrast to Chambord, I’ve found my Teva Links very grippy. I would happily buy another pair to keep in stock for when this pair dies, although I’m not sure they ever will.

TooTall
    Free Member

A friend of mine reckons the new Specialized shoes are fantastic, but he sells them so I’m looking for real world reviews. They do seem like a viable alternative to (the small-fitting) 5.10s.

cakefacesmallblock

I really wish I’d had the cash to buy two pairs of Teva Links , before they stopped making them. Grippy, quite easy to dry out too, fit me well too.
    I tried 5-10 on, but they made my feet feel like they were in snowboard boots.

samunkim
    Free Member

Teva Links

Got bogged down the other weekend . Knee dept in riverbed clay (Once I had managed to extricate myself) used some handfuls of gravel and water to scrub worst of the foul stinking goo off the Teva’s.

Got home, warm bucket of soapy water and brush to clean of the rest of the mud, then a low temp trip thru the washing machine.

Pretty much good as new….. Very Impressed.

Sole not quite as grippy ( as has been mentioned above) as I would like thou 🙁

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have a set of Five ten danny mac’s which i have been wearing pretty much daily for 18 months to commute in as well as mtb riding on Vaults and they are the best shoes i have bought period.

I love them so much i went to buy another pair for when they wear out only to discover that they don’t have them in stock anywhere in the uk so i bought them off German Amazon.

They are about the most sensible looking ones they do also.

I don’t want stormtrooper shoes

mechanised

I’ve had a pair of Shimano AM41’s for a few years, looking a bit battered now but grip good. Not hi-top though, but do have a bit of inside ankle protection.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Going to chuck these in here , not normal run of the mill but every time I looked at 5-10s my eyes bled a little ,

I took a punt on these and ive not looked back goretex very very gripy and ive yet to come of my Shimano saints http://www.blacks.co.uk/adidasoutdoorstealth

Kunstler

If anyone ever gets making an mtb shoe right, they’ll clean up.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Like Stevedoc, i use a pair of trail shoes.. Salomon ultra x gtx
    Grippy, waterproof etc.. Can’t complain..

I’ve recently spotted Adidas cross trails. Since Adidas bought five ten they have access to the stealth rubber and have I think the Adidas show looks great. Can’t comment on real life use though. Got a pair on order so hopefully have feed back soon.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Like I sI aid I took a chance on the Terrex ,as 5-10s look to funny on me (clown shoes the wife said ) ,they have withstood snow ,rain and wet galore and even a hose piping when proper muddy , just dry out and brush clean , I changed the laces though as the OEM laces are god aweful

ian martin
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of pairs of sombrio and I rate them highly. You can still buy them from America as since they went broke no-one seems to have picked up the distribution rights in the uk.

ian martin
    Free Member

Those cross terred with the stealth rubber look good, bit pricey though at £95, let us know how they perform as I’ve not heard of them before.

EDIT: I think I’d have gone for the black and red ones though.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Thanks cokeitup ,I fear I might be £95 lighter tonight ,like them

Simon

The old Five Ten Impacts had a cardboard sole and fell to bits, mine did anyway.
    I’ve also used Nike air Whistlers – too stiff, sole not grippy. Teva, not as stiff bit more grip.
    Favorites are the Danny Macaskill Freeriders, stiff enough and amazing grip, take plenty of abuse and dry out reasonably quickly. I’m on my second pair now and will probably get some more when these wear out.

Goldigger
    Free Member

The bike specific ones are only good in the dry…
    They have conti x king soles.. Not sure if that’s the chilli flavour though 😀

ian martin
    Free Member

Found these, decent price.

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/adidas-terrex-solo-approach-shoes/?pid=10004&cpkey=lG1DSQck5KdCDnJmI8Xj00_i-czRQDIKam8RAGOqQsw&_$ja=cgid:15740387587|tsid:60797|cid:254044867|lid:24176970992|nw:g|crid:59041839907|rnd:12118566356013197021|dvc:m|adp:1o6|bku:1&gclid=CKWu9rPny8QCFSrMtAodvk0A5Q

stevedoc
    Free Member

Blacks had the same in for 65 online with 7 quid post

Goldigger
    Free Member

These have also got the stealth soles £80
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/?q=addidas%20terrex%20scope

Might get some myself as I use my Salomons for work..

philb88
    Free Member

Liking the look of these Adidas. Not easy to find though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve had these since summer 2014. Got them a half size up, so that I can have a pair of Woollie boolies and sealskinz on below them. They are fantastic, keep my feet toastie as hell, and dry out really fast too. Hardly a mark on them after a full autumn and winters riding.

A million miles better than the mt91 shimano winter boots I used to use.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Some MIDs/high tops here with conti soles..just don’t look at the price!!
    http://www.bike24.com/p2111728.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘5:10s….. worth the money now? still got card board soles? or alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.