Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 50th birthday present for me (man) suggestions
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

My mum asked me yesterday what special present I want for my 50th birthday this year and to be honest I dont actually need anything! I only wear G shock watches (analogue daily wearer and digital for riding). I don’t wear any jewellery and nor would I.
    I have asked her to give me a clue as to potential budget she may spend but still can’t really think of any inspiration beyond bike consumables, a new dog (been dog less now for over 18 months and miss having one but love the freedom it also allows).
    So as I’m happily married and have never done drugs, nor will I which eliminates coke and hookers any sensible or amusing suggestions welcomed!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

A skills course ? or does it have to be something tangible ?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thought about a skills course but to be honest I’m already at my comfort/safety level for riding and drops etc.
    I’m trying to think more memory related as like I say I have everything possession wise that I would want/need except of coursea fat bike 😆
    I was also trying to think of something I would retain as I can think of one or two nice upgrades on my car or bikes but they’re always potentially something I could sell down the line.

slackalice
    Free Member

Holiday/short break to somewhere you’ve always fancied visiting with the wife?

It’s a kinda milestone birthday, so a memory courtesy of your mum could be the way to go?

Sandwich

It’s a kinda milestone birthday, so a memory courtesy of your mum could be the way to go?

Before your senility kicks in and all memory goes. 🙂

33tango

socks?

sadexpunk

i was thinking along the same lines as woppit. do you think traditional double edge shaving could be something you could get or are already into?

i was 50 last year, only just discovered shaving this way, and if it was of any interest there are some lovely razors that cost a pretty penny for special occasions. either a brand spanking new merkur maybe, or possibly a vintage 1965 (your birth year) gillette razor in immaculate condition would be a lovely thing indeed.

its another hobby for me to chuck a load of money at now 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions guys, I’ve just realised the last day of this years six nations, the year that we are going to win, not just the championship, but the triple crown and grand slam falls on my birthday itself…….I wonder if I set my mum the task if she could get me a ticket to the last England game…..and maybe one for the wife 😆
    As for the shaving I’m a long stubble touting clipper man/electric if I have to be clean shaven.
    Maybe even a rugby World Cup final ticket. I’m her only son so I shall play on that fact 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

I am 50 this year current wish list is a couple of cool racing cars for my scalextrix. Sorry I should say my son’s scalextrix.

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆 kids grown and granddaughters still only on a balance bike so no chance there
    Plus text me mum and she’s on the case for England vs France on 21st at Twickenham…….hopefully the deciding match in who wins this year……..

redstripe
    Free Member

flying lessons

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

What sort of budget?

Ferrari driving experience – about £250

Frame building week – about £1000 (that’s my 40th plans).

thecarbonmonkey
    Free Member

A bikepacking expedition trip of a lifetime?

poolman
    Free Member

I’d go for an experience as you tend to remember the good ones. I’ll be 50 too this year so got some rugby world cup tickets as a treat. Get a nice London hotel & some spending money for beers it’ll be a real treat.

Go for the 6n – they’ll be tickets on stubhub.

Good luck to all & especially those born in 65!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

The guy I passed going up Boxhill yesterday morning said the Indy Fab Ti Delux with Campy Record 11-speed was a 50th birthday present to himself.

That was lush.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Suggsy congrats on the milestone, welcome to the club 8)

I would repeat some of those above, Skills course, Alps bike holiday, somewhere great with the Mrs.

FWIW getting two tickets for England France will be difficult and £700 a pair at a guess. If you do make it drop me an email and we’ll have a beverage to celebrate if you wish.

EDIT: Also I made a list of 50 things to do in my 50th year, I never managed to complete it (not least due to knee injury which meant all of the active stuff had to be put off), buts its a great way to make it a rolling celebration with friends and family. My list had biking, skiing, walking, reading, cooking, travelling, reading things to do. Its fun just to make the list. Idea was stolen from Carol Voerderman who did something similar

McHamish
    Free Member

Go for a weekend city break with your Mum…be just her son again (rather than also someone else’s husband/father)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Less than a week to go for my 50th.

Hello all you old old blokes, I feel quite at home.

Missis has bought me a Garmin Edge 1000.

Other family and close friends are asking what I want, and I really can’t think of anything.

Strangely, my mother has said nothing. I’m worried that she has already chosen something for me!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, my mums fairly confident on the tickets but I have told her not to spend an arm and a leg as I would feel bad despite her being a relatively well off pensioner 😆
    Seems there was a lot of us born in ’65 😆

samunkim
    Free Member

+1 for 50 – in August.

Power cuts, the winter before, I wonder ?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Two days to go here. No idea what to get.

steve-g
    Free Member

I am going to go with what some have said above. By the time you have reached 50 you should well and truly have realised that your birthday is more of a day for your mum than it is for you. You cant remember being born, she is now staring at the kid she had being 50. Can’t imagine how that feels. Do something the two of you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

New Man Watch.

peterfile
    Free Member

and have never done drugs, nor will I

bloody hell, live a little! You’ve not got long left now!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Eza Goode.

leffeboy

Do something the two of you.

I was thinking along those lines as well. By 50 you should probably have all the crap you need really and one more thing won’t make much difference unless it is very special. A weekend away (as suggested by McHamish earlier) just the two of you would be fab

anyone got any salmon, luvely

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Oreet Chris, get her to buy you a nice long flowing blond ‘Syrup’ that you can wear under yer helmet, you can have soooo much fun platting it for the weekends, you could also wear it in bunches or with ribbons if you like, the connotations are practically endless for yer 😉 😆
    Oh, and a very happy birthday to yer Old bean 😀

lazybike
    Free Member

So as I’m happily married and have never done drugs, nor will I which eliminates coke and hookers any sensible or amusing suggestions welcomed!

May I suggest a trip out of your comfort zone….you’ve earned it. 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Surprise holiday for me, didn’t know where we were going until we were airborne !

tymbian
    Free Member

@ samunkim…50 in August also.

Maybe…a group of us ’50 of 2015′ need a week of uplift assisted shenanigans.

Finale Ligure anyone?? Mountains to beach…

I’m in..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Airwheel…

stevedoc
    Free Member

http://www.flymigsokol.com/prices_flight_mig29 Maybe a little over the budget but worth an ask

Almost a like,, I was 40 on new years day I ended up with a rally day in Yorkshire and a Falconry day ,the later im really looking forward to

andylaightscat
    Free Member

50 in June here and just been asked the ‘what do you want for your birthday’ question so will watch this thread with interest 😀

seanole
    Free Member

50 next month for me. Gran canaria for a bit of road and mtb ridin. Best present for me.

tymbian
    Free Member

Or a closer to home road trip…..
    Wales
    Lakes
    Dales
    Scotland

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘50th birthday present for me (man) suggestions’ is closed to new replies.