Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 50p tax rate
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Whoops:

Far from raising funds, it actually cost the UK £7 billion in lost tax revenue.

Nice one Gordon!

That’ll be that pesky Laffer curve that the lefties keep telling us is a fantasy!

mefty
    Free Member

£7 billion to lose an election, puts Romney’s election expenses into perspective.

slowmart
    Free Member

Perceptions rather than effective solutions.

Politicians eh.

trailmonkey

two thirds of all millionaires gone, apparently

when can we get rid of the other third ?

anagallis_arvensis

Thats a pretty lazy conclusion given the recession surely?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

C’mon Zulu be fair. Both Brown and Darling knew exactly what they were doing. The end of term 50p tax rate was nothing more than a political stunt. They knew what impact it would have economically (that’s why they did not raise it earlier in their term) and politically (thats why they did it, when they did it).

Brilliant political stunt 10/10 with exactly the result intended – “tax cuts for millionaires”
    Dubious economic stunt 4/10, although still far too early to determine exact results and reliable TIE for uk economy.

But since when have politicians put the interests of the country first 😉 ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bit misleading, it’s talking about people declaring earnings over £1million, most of those people probably have a Joe Bloggs plc, so the money’s not disappeared, they were just leaving it in the company waiting for the tax rate to be repealed. So the effects been exaggerated purely because it was a short term stunt.

That’s my hypothesis anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I saw some figures about how many before during and after but the monetary claim was somewhat inevidenced and a bit of a leap.

The treasury report was a little more substantial and little less clear cut – iirc it agreed with the politics of which ever government commisioned it 😉 and also sadly that is true

Basically what THM said.

For some balance

The Treasury predicts that over the next five years the 50p tax rate will raise £5.3bn more than it would have raised if the top rate of tax had remained at 45p, and £12.6bn more than it would have raised if the top rate had stayed at 40p.

Labour in power obviously

Its also worth noting what the HMRC report said[ Coalition]

The uncertainty regarding the extent to which the unwinding of this forestalled income[ they claimed more income pre the tax rise hence the figure disparity*] depressed incomes in 2010-11 makes isolating the true underlying behavioural response to the additional rate challenging

* This analysis shows that there was a considerable behavioural response to the rate change, including a substantial amount of forestalling: between £16 billion and £18 billion of income is estimated to have been brought forward to 2009-10 to avoid the additional rate of tax.

It’s a bit more complicated than will be teased out in a STW debate and THM and stone rwill be more informed on this than I am.

Persoanlly i dont doubt some left and the impact [money raised] was less than expected but I have yet to see anything conclsuive either way re a loss with almost every report [ HMRC included] being at the behest of someone with a political agenda.
    Though georges did conclude

The conclusion that can be drawn from the Self Assessment data is therefore that the underlying yield from the additional rate is much lower than originally forecast (yielding around £1 billion or less), and that it is quite possible that it could be negative.

No where near the £7 billion guess above and £1 billion is some margin of error for experts 😯

I do agree with THM and it was a political milestone for the Tories to ganrer tax cuts for millionairres

Nice polemic article but the actual figures are far less clear than that headline suggests

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY, nice to be on the same side!!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes we both think you know more than me 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ho Ho , thats a good line to remember and re-quote. I like it 😉

Like the line a friend used recently, ” there’s a guy who knows where his elbow is!”

grum
    Free Member

Good riddance to the greedy tossers. 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

The point of my post was that it was a clear scorched earth electioneering policy. This is merely a likewise headline grabbing analysis to confront the effects of that policy.

As always you need to look more deeply into the issue. The acceleration of income analysis has some merit, based on a straw poll of the people I know in this situation they were looking to accelerate about three years of income as this met their return requirements, likewise the well advised users of film finance shelters would have accelerated their income. There are further complicating factors like the reduction in relief for pension fund contributions.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Just shows you what a bunch of selfish bankers the rich are!!!

footflaps

The headline and article are misleading. Before the 50p rate came in, many wealthy individual brought forward earnings from their companies / investments to maximise use of the 40% rate whilst it still existed. Then they deferred payments for a year (eg looking at taking the money abroad). When it became obvious the rate was going to be reduced, they just defer income until a lower rate comes into force.

So the tax hasn’t been lost, just brought forward / deferred to avoid the temporary 50% rate.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This is not a surprise, when the top rate of tax was cut from 60% to 40% (in late 80’s I recall) the tax take went UP.

I personally know more than a dozen 52p rate (when you include NI) taxpayers who left the uk as a result of the increase. One hedge fund where all the high earning traders (eg £5m-£10m types) moved to Switzerland whilst all the support staff (who are paid much less and use the state school system and the NHS) remained in the UK. The other factor to consider is that it takes more than a reduction back to 40% to get them back.

The left wing French government introduced a 75% tax rate (admittedly on those earning circa £850k vs UK 52% at £150k) and the response was pretty prompt with the country’s richest man promptly moving to Belgium and giving up his passport.

It’s ok to say good riddance but you need to understand that in the UK the top 1% pay 25% of the income tax (source IFS) – so if they leave are you happy to pick up the difference

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just shows you what a bunch of selfish bankers the rich are!!!

@steve
    – see my post, the top 1% pay 25% of the income tax, they keep everyone else’s taxes low, to quote Al Gore out of context “an inconvenient truth”

mefty
    Free Member

Hedge fund managers moved abroad for a number of reasons including no doubt income tax, although the capital gains tax change would likely to be as influential, but fear of regulation was another.

But as you say we do need the rich to fund our public expenditure.

kimbers

poor journalism, but it is the torygraph

all its says that less people were liable for tax over a million

I wonder how they could’ve achieved that?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20288077
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/series/offshore-secrets

meanwhile the condem solution

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18575439

kimbers

so all the hedge fund managers left, shame they were doing so well

how much did the bank bailout cost that they helped necessitate?

mefty
    Free Member

The offshore secrets stuff is pretty slip shod as well, after all the Guardian building is owned by an offshore company and the company is owned by an offshore trust. We could change the law and tax property gains in this country and still retain much of the tax take despite our tax treaty obligations so the tax haven ownership is a irrelevance in this context.

jambalaya
    Free Member

how much did the bank bailout cost that they helped necessitate?

@kimbers
    talk me through the involvement of hedge funds in the collapse of Alliance and Leicester, Bradford and Bingley, northern Rock and HBOS ? All of these firms died as the result of poor basic lending on mortgages and/or commercial property – all of these loans were retained on balance sheet by these lenders, trust me they f@cked it up all on their own.

Stoner
    Free Member

Hedge funds never shorted HBOS did they jamba? 😉
    I admit they didnt start the drowning but they probably helped with their foot on HBOS’s head…

igm

Jam. – not sure that suggesting “rich greedy bankers”(TM) messed it up by themselves is helping your argument.

Might still be time to edit…

kimbers

well as I understand it the crash was precipitated by the sub prime lending bubble in the USA,
    hedge funds bet on derrivatives of these mortgage loans, greedy hedge funds ‘leveraged?’ these chopping them and selling them on again
    when the underlying loans started to go south the ridiculously complex system meant no one new what anything was worth and so every one stoppped lending to everyone and the global economy was screwed

im no economist so please correct me if im wrong

skooby39
    Free Member

well as I understand it the crash was precipitated by the sub prime lending bubble in the USA,
    hedge funds bet on derrivatives of these mortgage loans, greedy hedge funds ‘leveraged?’ these chopping them and selling them on again
    when the underlying loans started to go south the ridiculously complex system meant no one new what anything was worth and so every one stoppped lending to everyone and the global economy was screwed

Pretty much right.

We need a nice flat tax system – say 15/20% of everything you earn. No if’s/but’s/exceptions or thresholds. At the moment if you worked hard at school and earn twice as much as your neighbour, your treat is to pay 3x as much tax. You’ve then a moral case to call in an accountant and get that down. Take away the escalator and introduce a system where everyone pays to society the same % they earn under its protection.

kimbers

and as regards to the uk banks, they had massively over reached themselves so when the music stopped they were exposed for the frauds they were

people can hide behind phrases like ‘wealth creators’ or ‘duty to shareholders’ but imho avarice and greed are the real motivators here

mefty
    Free Member

An inaccurate over simplification, many lenders were overeliant on short term money markets to finance long term asset books, they had underpriced the cost of their asset books either because they had passed on the oost their capital savings to their customers in the case of own book loans or underpriced the credit risk on their investment books. Hedge funds were part of the market but they were not asset producers. However the market would not have grown to its size without the availability of hedge fund capital, which exacerbated the problem.

This is a more accurate over simplification but it is still an oversimplification. Short selling is in my view an irrelevance other than it drove up the cost of capital that the banks needed to raise, but frankly there wouldn’t have been enough buyers anyway.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘50p tax rate’ is closed to new replies.