• This topic has 480 replies, 127 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 481 total)
  • 500 Mile a month.
  • cookeaa

I had an idea…
    I don’t know if this is a bit naff maybe but hear me out.

How about each of us taking part keep a little monthly log, just a word doc’ or whatever just a short paragraph summarising each month as it goes by, getting down the main challenges, what you might be having to work miles in around, any useful tricks/tips and how you feel you are getting on as you try to clock up the miles each month, brief is probably better.

When the Endomondo challenge closes on Dec 31st, the top ten placing riders, could submit those monthly summaries to ST to be turned into a brief piece on the differing approaches people took to this challenge or just training in general.

Any thoughts?

Edric64
    Free Member

I have done all road miles lately and found 500 in Jan quite easy .A long Sunday ride of 60 mile and a couple of training sessions at Odd Down track totaling 50 miles a week left me just a short ride on another afternoon to hit 500 last month

This Month im on 97 from an Audax on Sunday and a 30 mile ride home from where my van is being fixed .I have to ride back to get it tomorrow ,which is another 30 and will do 50 + on my 50th birthday on Wednesday so that will be 177 in 4 days.

ton

this must be easy for some of you lot…..I can remember when I could go out and bang 50 miles out on a sunday, without much effort.
    a big ride to me now is 30 miles, and all my rides are done at 10mph, which is all the ticker will let me get up to without blacking out… 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

But at least you are getting out there and doing your best rather than sitting on the sofa being sorry for yourself

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I managed 372 in January according to Strava but only 110 of that was out and about on the bike, the rest was indoor on either turbo or rollers.

February should see some bigger rides going on….hopefully.

I’m needing to average 511 miles a month for the rest of the year now to get to the 500/month average!

Edric64
    Free Member

I am going well for February 175 miles for the month so far not bad for the 5th !

ton

1 mile short of 100 for me so far. but my legs feel like they belong to someone else.
    I need some eating advice if I am gonna keep this up. any tips?

wors

Get some recovery drinks Tony. Preferably not golden pippin 😉

zangolin
    Free Member

Ton – give your legs a few days to recover – with just a few easy leg spinning rides. Don’t know what your mileage was before but you got to build it up gradually – you can’t expect to go from zero to full tilt in a really short time frame. All of it is really common sense and I’m sure I am not telling you something you don’t already know.
    As for recovery – no need to spend on expensive recovery drinks just make sure you eat/drink something as soon as you can after a hard ride. Peanut butter and strawberry jam on brown bread/toast is my usual snack after I get back from a long ride – good mix of carbs, fat and protein all in one. Chocolate milk from the supermarket is one of the best recovery drinks if you feel you do need to have a “recovery drink”.

ton

advice is always welcome…….unless it is like what wors said….no ale?? that is nearly as bad as no bike……. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

I’m struggling again, mainly through work at the moment. Constant off site commitments mean no cycle-commuting 🙁 Hopefully things will pick up shortly.

ton

300 miles so far this month…….going like Le Diesel……chug chug 😆

MaryHinge
    Free Member

180 miles so far in Feb.

Wimped out last Sunday and went for a walk instead.

Going to be tough to hit 500 this month.

oldgit
    Free Member

February’s gone to pot.
    Bad chest and taking antibiotics for the first time ever in my life, which was quite exciting, was hoping I might trip…but nothing 😐

amedias
    Free Member

Feb definitely a no hoper for me, weather soo bad here I can’t stay upright on the roads, managed a couple of 20mile runs but then canned them and came home because it was getting dangerous being blown all over the roads with cars not giving me enough ‘gust room’ and all the local forests are either closed off or having so many trees down it’s dangerous, add to that I’m being sent to London for a week long training course I’m going be having serious bike withdrawal symptoms soon!

zangolin
    Free Member

Yep weather definitely a downer – just best to man up really + get wet! managed to knock out 70 odd miles in the warm and dry of Newport Velodrome in the last week. Was good just wearing summer kit again + not having to worry about potholes 🙂

ton

70 odd miles indoors? not in 1 go I hope…….. 😆

andytherocketeer

thought I’d be last (still)

A nice round 0 km this month so far, but then I have been skiing and walking, and the weather looks pants this weekend. Might just have to go for it.
    Only just sneak in to the top 40 if I include skiing km, chairlift km, and a few km of walking.

cookeaa

140 miles so far for Feb, had everything gone to plan I’d have clocked ~200 so far, but ill children, wives, a customer meeting on site that canceled my commute yesterday and being a bit too tired to do more night rides/evening Velodrome trips have seen that off…

I have been out more on the SS though so not all of my miles have been Roadie ones, but I’d say the effort for these (especially with the mud about is a good 30% more)

a Ride home, plus a few miles this weekend and I’ll have finally gotten to 500 miles since Jan 1st, that means, Great! But that just means I’m already half a month behind the goal…

All of this means more work to do later in the year, I might just force down a big Dose of MTFU next week and try to clock a couple of 50 mile days irrespective of the weather, but I still reckon I’ll be ‘#250 – 300 miles off target by the end of Febs…

lowey

160 so far for me, which is a lot for a fat unfit porker. I’m pretty pleased with that to be honest.

zangolin
    Free Member

70 odd miles indoors? not in 1 go I hope……..

No Ton – 34 miles at SQT last night and 36m in a Sunday morning session

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

It’s tough in this weather but if you have the right kit and MTFU then you can get out there and ride. Rule #9 etcetera

Mainly doing my distance on my commute to work. It’s all going well to date even in this stormy weather. But have managed to get out a number of times on my MTB too. Surrey Hills are okay if you pick your spot.

January 600 miles (despite having cracked two ribs falling off my MTB on 2nd Jan)
    February 280 miles to date and feeling good

I haven’t read the whole thread but is there a spreadsheet/strava club page/other site where you are all posting up your distance?

andytherocketeer

The logs are on endomondo…
    http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/13712660

and while someone has ridden halfway around the world, just about, some of us have barely got out the door.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

ah, ok just spotted the Endomondo page, will upload rides this evening.

Why is the endomondo club page picture of someone who doesn’t appear to be a cyclist?

zangolin
    Free Member

and while someone has ridden halfway around the world, just about, some of us have barely got out the door.

Please – I’m only 5.7% of my way round the world 😉

cheers_drive

340 miles so far this month.
    My eyes are constantly streaming from riding in the wind.

ton

2 days left this month, 42 miles needed to make 600 miles this month.
    how you all doing?

zangolin
    Free Member

how you all doing?

Good going that Ton – are you feeling the benefit of the extra mileage yet?
    I just need 78 miles for nice round 1000 this month – should get a large chunk of that tomorrow night down at SQT on the Velodrome.

ton

feeling lighter mate…..dropped 5lbs this week.
    and just done 12 mile in under a hour…………how fast am I…. 😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

how you all doing?

Good effort Tony.

crazy-legs

Nice going Ton!

I haven’t even logged my mileage this month – partly due to the laptop with my spreadsheet on it dying a death. But I know I’m nowhere close to 500 miles.

Will start again in March. 🙂

andytherocketeer

nice.

for me, 480 miles per day to get back on target.
    and this weekend is in next month.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Haven’t been doing this but chucked myself into this challenge only been commuting since the start of the year. So only 125 miles total so far. But be interesting to see if I can get myself up this table over the year! No danger I’ll be getting anywhere close to 500 miles a month mind you! I’ll aim for a 200 mile month in march then up from there. Will do the challenge properly next year!

I’m last on page 3 I’ll make last on page 2 the challenge! 😆

lowey

Well with a fair wind I’ll have cracked 310 by tomorrow night, which is more than I have ever ridden in my life in a month. Its all road and CX though 🙁 Hardly any fun miles.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Jan = 15 miles
    Feb = 0 miles
    Totally lost mojo with weather

Mojo return is imminent as the start of a 3 month trip around Spain and France is not far away.
    A modicum of fitness has been retained with plenty of walking/jogging and even slow running.

scandalous
    Free Member

725 total YTD

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Last couple of years, since being on Strava/Endomondo and logging my rides, it’s done roughly 2500 a year.

Would like to get that up to 3650 – ten miles a day. Can’t be that hard, can it?!

The trouble with working from home is, if you CBA, if it’s wet, windy and horrible, you don’t bother going out.

When I HAD to commute to work and the bike was the only way to get there, I would have clocked up the miles without thinking.

Going to have to go for it today and tomorrow to get the first two months of this year up and over a 100 mile a month average. 😕

disco_stu
    Free Member

I managed 400km last month and should get close to 500km this month.
    A sportive (70 odd miles ) on Sunday should get me off to a good start for March.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I should just about sneak 1000km YTD by the end of this month. Lower than I want, but considering the weather, and work situation currently, I’m quite pleased with that.

If things improve, and I can start working in a different office, I can ride in a few days a week, and get some decent evening and weekend riding back under my belt.

I have had a huge hissy fit about riding in howling winds, and sideways rain over the last few months, so chances to get out have been somewhat limited…

bigshep
    Free Member

I’m needing 85 miles in the next 2 days to hit 500 this month.
    Going to leave it to next month to start eating into my January deficit.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 481 total)

The topic ‘500 Mile a month.’ is closed to new replies.