Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • £500 hardtail for the missus
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

What do people recommend for a women's hardtail/fully ridig for £500 max? I have persuaded my wife that the £80 full suss supermarket special is a bit naff. She hasn't ridden since before the kids (1 and 3 y.o.), but we want to get out on the Peak District cycle trails (Tissington etc) with the little ones in seats on the back. I know a "town and trail" bike would suffice but I like the idea that she might one day want to come on a proper MTB ride with me.

Light and responsive are important – I want all the effort to propel her bike forward – but of course comfort for essentially a non-cyclist is important.

Halford's range (Saracen and Boardman) offer great value – and is the only local bike shop – but open to other suggestions

mrben100
    Free Member

Not sure on a bike recommendation, but check out Pauls Cycles.com – has older bikes at sometimes massively reduced prices.

Worth a check just in case!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

paulscycles is always good for last years reduced models. Something like this maybe?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s2p2288

mrben100
    Free Member

Then run your choice passed someone on here who knows what they're talking about. 😉

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

mrben100 – Member

Then run your choice passed someone on here who knows what they're talking about.

Sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick, but whats wrong with the bike in the link i provided? Seems good VFM to me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I should add I'd prefer to buy local(ish). I'm based in Leek, Staffordshire

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I thought this looked good value

mrben100
    Free Member

Not taking the pi$$. Was writing my second post before seeing yours pressed 'sendpost', low and behold yours appeared in between my posts.

Was saying that I wouldn't really know what I was talking about! 😳

mboy
    Free Member

I thought this looked good value

Those Carrera Krakens are indeed good value for money. Bought my ex GF one of the older ones (2008 iirc) with cable discs, but for the ridiculous price of £265! For a bike with a double butted hydroformed frame (which is actually very good, well worthy of component upgrades in the future), a 100mm travel oil damped fork, cable discs, 27 SRAM gears, and well specced "womens specific" finishing kit such as saddle, shorter cranks and thin grips… I was very impressed. The only thorn in the side was the heavy OE tyres and tubes (Tioga's) and slightly overweight wheels. Lighter tyres and tubes were a very quick/easy win though.

At £399 with hydraulic brakes it's still pretty good value. That said, shop around, have seen them discounted by more than £50 inside Halfords stores…

Otherwise, if you're in Leek, pop into Swinnertons Cycles in Stoke. Not likely to get many bargains, but you will get a wide selection of bikes, and some knowledgable staff.

Or go mail order via Pauls Cycles, and look at bikes like that Giant linked to above… Or this one…

qwerty
    Free Member

Specialized Myka Comp

if she really takes to proper off roading just the fork will need upgrading

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I do like the look of the Spesh but I still can't get over the spec of the Kraken. The model I saw had Conti Speed Kings on, which are a pretty light tyre I think. Sram X5, Tektro Auriga hydraulic disks, Truvativ crankset, Suntour XCR fork and under £400.

Ideally I'd like something lighter for her, but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

my bike weighs about the same as that Kraken, if not more. I don't notice any hindrance apart from when having to lift it up stairs. If, like me, she hasn't had other bikes for a long time, she won't have anything to compare it to 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I'm sure it will be lighter than the lump of metal and soggy springs that calls itself a bike that is currently her (un-ridden) steed.

Taff
    Free Member

My brother in law bought my sister a myka and he thought it was ace. I bought my mrs a Scott contessa and think it's awesome. Components aren't amazing at that price but the frame definately is

pitduck
    Free Member

this f-in thing won`t work 😡

stilltortoise
    Free Member

just giving this a bump for the Monday morning crew's advice

goslow

Misunderstood the title – £500 hardtail for the missus.
    I thought you were after a swap.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆

Sometimes it seems like a good deal, eh? 😯

Trekster

Bought mine a Myka because of the low top tube. Getting on & off when with kids is something to think about. Cable discs are good enough for anyone rather than cheap hydraulics which may end up knackered sooner

nimrod2410
    Free Member

My missues has had the Myka Expert, really nice put together bike, but she found the frame to small for her recommended height and never really liked it that much.
    Prior to that she had the Trek 4300 wds, much cheaper bike but she much prefered it to the more expensive Spesh. I rode it a couple of times and was impressed with what was a £300 bike. Good value in my opinion.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘£500 hardtail for the missus’ is closed to new replies.