Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 50 years this week it was made legal to show your love
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/40459213

Have things changed in all those years, we have numerous celebrity tv and film stars, but very few LGBTQ sports people,very few business people and a lot of people still find the show of what hetro sexual people find normal eg kissing holding hands in public obnoxious.

jimjam
    Free Member

project – Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/40459213

Have things changed in all those years,

Obviously, yes.

we have numerous celebrity tv and film stars, but very few LGBTQ sports people,very few business people

What percentage of the population are lgtb? What percentage of the population will be elite athletes or business people of considerable repute? Must be a very very small cross section.

and a lot of people still find the show of what hetro sexual people find normal eg kissing holding hands in public obnoxious.

Where’s your evidence for this?

anagallis_arvensis

About 4-5% so that should be a good few prem footballists for example

squirrelking
    Free Member

Shame they wait until they retire before they feel comfortable enough to come out. Same for most sports actually.

As for finding kissing, hand holding etc. obnoxious, it doesn’t take much to find places (forums and such) where the overall consensus is that people “don’t want [their] face rubbed in it”.

There is still a long way to go.

project
    Free Member

and a lot of people still find the show of what hetro sexual people find normal eg kissing holding hands in public obnoxious.

you must really get out more

Jamie
    Free Member

I find anyone doing that obnoxious.

Get a room already.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Disagree. Where do you live? I see plenty of gay people showing public displays of affection when out and about and i don’t live in London or a trendy town or city.

Depends on the setting, just as it does with hetro people. And just like alot of hero people, some LGBTQ people don’t feel the need to show public displays of affection. The last thing my wife and i would do is to show any public displays of affection. We’ve sort of grown out of snogging in the middle of the shopping centres.

jimjam
    Free Member

project – Member

you must really get out more [/quote]

How often do I need to get out? If I’m in Belfast and I see young boys and girls walking around holding hands or kissing or cross dressing (all of which seems to be very much the done thing these days) what more do I need to do?

I don’t get it.

anagallis_arvensis

I find anyone doing that obnoxious.

Kisding or holding hands? WTF is wrong with you

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have things changed in all those years, we have numerous celebrity tv and film stars, but very few LGBTQ sports people,very few business people and a lot of people still find the show of what hetro sexual people find normal eg kissing holding hands in public obnoxious.

While it is a bit odd to worry about what people do with their genitals, I think you’re a glass half empty kind of person.

We stopped imprisoning homosexuals 50 years ago. We stopped hanging them in 1835. We’re generations ahead of much of the world.

Maybe this puts it in context:

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interflora is 50?!!

Whole BBC Olympic reporting team (at times)
    Worlds best rugby ref (IHO)
    Legends of ladies tennis
    Many prem footballers
    Billy Vinapoula

That’s without having to even think. I might have got at least one wrong though

jimjam
    Free Member

5thElefant

We stopped imprisoning homosexuals 50 years ago. We stopped hanging them in 1835. We’re generations ahead of much of the world.

Begone with your context whatabouterry. Never mind the fact that gay people still get executed in plenty of places, they might get disapproving looks in the UK.

project

jimjam same belfast then

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/official-anti-gay-hate-crime-rise-9129786

Well Belfast isn’t Northern Ireland and a hateful minority don’t represent public opinion, or cultural attitudes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Kisding or holding hands? WTF is wrong with you

Nothing is wrong with me.

km79
    Free Member

LGBTQ

There’s a Q now as well?

Edit: Nevermind, that’s out of date it’s LGBTQIA now.

AdamW
    Free Member

Yes, we add another letter every now and then to keep you on your toes.

anagallis_arvensis

Nothing is wrong with me.

I would suggest if you dont like seeing people hold hands or show affection theres plenty wrong with you.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would suggest if you dont like seeing people hold hands or show affection theres plenty wrong with you.

And I would disagree, and counter that assuming that everyone should have the same world outlook as yourself is very narrow minded. Some could say bigoted.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Edit: Nevermind, that’s out of date it’s LGBTQIA now.

I had to Google that. They only went and added a P.
    It’s now LGBTQIAP.

anagallis_arvensis

And I would disagree, and counter that assuming that everyone should have the same world outlook as yourself is very narrow minded. Some could say bigoted.

You can call me what you like thinking tjat people holding hands obnoxious is **** weird.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the cool kids are all talking about LGBTQIAP+ now. Though that might have changed by the time I’ve typed this.

Jamie
    Free Member

You can call me what you like thinking tjat people holding hands obnoxious is **** weird.

I’ll be weird, and you can be a bigot then.

So…erm…wanna kiss*?

*behind closed doors.

km79
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the cool kids are all talking about LGBTQIAP+ now. Though that might have changed by the time I’ve typed this.

There is still room for trans species representation. C’mon LGBTQIAP+ get your act together!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Im a hairy arsed 40 ish builder who stereotypically should find all that kind of gay behaviour repulsive. I don’t let on to our two gay friends who are incidentally a couple about it, I’m just after some free beer at their wedding next year then I’ll disown them.

squirrelking
    Free Member

How often do I need to get out? If I’m in Belfast and I see young boys and girls walking around holding hands or kissing or cross dressing (all of which seems to be very much the done thing these days) what more do I need to do?

I don’t get it.

Your whole argument seems to be centred around YOU not finding it offensive.

Step out the echo chamber and you’ll find a whole different story.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Billy Vinapoula

You sure?

jimjam
    Free Member

squirrelking

Step out the echo chamber and you’ll find a whole different story.

Trust me, I don’t exist in an LGBTQP+ echo chamber. A point you should consider is that displays of affection which I regularly see happen in the open, are in the open, in front of the culture at large, for anyone and everyone to see.

I don’t find it offensive but the fact that it happens at all is evidence of a lack of danger, or more likely just apathy towards it. Worth remembering too that over 60% of people turned out to vote in favour of gay marriage in the (notoriously catholic, conservative) Republic of Ireland, so hardly just MY echo chamber.

project
    Free Member

Step out the echo chamber and you’ll find a whole different story

Probably trapped in the straight closet and affraid to come out and see whats happening around him

molgrips
    Free Member

Have things changed in all those years

Yes. A rugby legend wasn’t publicly out but had the support of all his team mates, and the most respected ref is out and still the most respected and loved ref. In rugby – think about that game’s previous reputation.

We had token gay characters in TV shows at first, then we had main gay characters who were there to explore gay themes – now we have main characters who happen to be gay but it plays no part in the storyline and isn’t even mentioned.

We even have gay schoolkids who are accepted, and even transgender schoolkids who have the support of their peers. Even when I was a kid that would have been inconceivable.

squirrelking
    Free Member

jimjam, you seem to be debating a completely different point now. We’re talking about whether people find it obnoxious or not, not whether they lob bricks or give them a beating in response. The emotion rather than the reaction if you will.

In other news, militant gaez!!!1!one!

jimjam
    Free Member

Probably trapped in the straight closet and affraid to come out and see whats happening around him

So just to recap – I am trapped in the straight closet, and apparently in an echo chamber because I’ve observed gay people doing things they would not have previously felt comfortable doing.

squirrelking

jimjam, you seem to be debating a completely different point now. We’re talking about whether people find it obnoxious or not,

That’s rather subjective though, as Jamie points out. And I would find myself in agreement, I don’t particularly care to see anyone regardless of gender, race, colour creed or sexual persuasion chewing the face off each other.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I meant more the STW-esque echo chamber where everyone affirms your own beliefs and nobody says anything nasty against the gays. Try a more RW forum and see how things go, not everyone out there is the same.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Things have changed immeasurably, yes.

And thank Christ for it too.

Those that feel threatened or offended by any displays of affection are just professionally offended types and worthy of being ignored.

😀

anagallis_arvensis

So…erm…wanna kiss*?

If you are too ashamed to kiss me in public I will be forced to decline your kind offer.

chickenman

At school in the 70’s there were apparently no kids who were gay and being gay was the favoured term of abuse. Looking back of course there must have been several of my friends who were gay but not openly (I think 1 in 20 is about right). In a cosmopolitan place like Edinburgh being openly gay is now by and large accepted by everybody. I probably have as many gay friends as straight.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘50 years this week it was made legal to show your love’ is closed to new replies.