Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • 50 technological advances your children will laugh at
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmmmm, Id rely on a gPS over a map any day of the week.

Battery life? Even our 15+ year old magellan2000 will run for 24 hours with normal 4 AA's, gets to about 3 days with recharagables, including 12 hours of backlight.

Drop the GPS and crack the screen? Id like to see a usable map after its been droped in a uddy puddle, just wipe the screen and the GPS is fine and dandy most of the time. And this is all assuming the map didnt get blown away when you droped it.

I've never know a GPS give the wrong position, even back in the day when the signal was scrambled it was good to within 20-30m usualy, and the firmware usualy had a buffer to calculate your position based on dead reconing and the gps so it avoided any erronous signals. Anyway, its much better than DECA ever was, and even dGPS wasn't as accurate as modern handhelds now that the signal is no longer scrambled. Even the best map reader will make mistakes, IME GPS never does, how the user interprets and reacts to that data may be questionable, but i'd wager knowing your exact position and making the wrong decision is safer than geting it wrong in the fog/woods/unfamiliar hills and still making the wrong decision.

molgrips
    Free Member

because working from home is far less appealing than it sounds!

Seems that way NOW, maybe – depending on who you work with. But in the future it'll become normal and accepted, and people will realise who they can trust, and work out how to keep tabs on those they don't.

I love working from home and would be pushing for it on this project if it wasn't a secure one.

GrahamS

Seems that way NOW, maybe – depending on who you work with. But in the future it'll become normal and accepted, and people will realise who they can trust, and work out how to keep tabs on those they don't.

Maybe.

But there are other issues:

– you miss out on office banter, coffee room chats, lunchtime gossip, overheard conversations.
    – it gets quite lonely.
    – it's very hard to motivate yourself.
    – you end up working at odd times of day.
    – it's much harder to separate work and home life.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Drop the GPS and crack the screen? Id like to see a usable map after its been droped in a uddy puddle<

You've got a 15 yo Magellan and you've never heard of waterproof maps / paper?

Tuttut…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Despite all the bashing of me about GPS no one has answered the point – how do you plot a route across a distance without a map? Say Blair Athol to Kingussie? ( that being a route I have done)

I have MM on my puter but still know its easier with a paper map where I can see the whole route at once.

The other thing you cannot do with a gps is name the various surrounding mountains. You know – the munro baggers game.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

O RLY?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Despite all the bashing of me about GPS no one has answered the point – how do you plot a route across a distance without a map? Say Blair Athol to Kingussie?

I regullary plot my rotes on the computer in fact can't remember the last time i didi it with a paper map. I use the zoom function that alows me to see it up close and then far out. It also means i can print of bits or the whole route and i can leave it up on the screen so that my wife knows excatlly where im going.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am such a late adopter of everything that I have no need to be laughed at by my children, I am already ribbed by contemporaries and friends.

I listen to music on CD, watch a tiny little telly occasionally, read paper books, paper newspapers, collect paper maps and follow them using compasses, travel by bicycle and routinely disable applications on my mobile phone that I find confusing. I do my writing direct to the laptop though… 🙂

Drac

I listen to music on CD, watch a tiny little telly occasionally, read paper books, paper newspapers, collect paper maps and follow them using compasses, travel by bicycle and routinely disable applications on my mobile phone that I find confusing

Well doing those doesn't make you out of touch thought does it as they are all easily and readily available.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but you're a big dummy, aren't you?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Looking at the list No:14 pagers. We use them a lot here in the hospital as you can get the signal where you can't for a mobile phone and you know some one wants you when you are in a noise place (i work in the maintainence departemtn) and can't see them going any time soon.

clubber
    Free Member

how do you plot a route across a distance without a map?

As above, on the computer. I don't really understand why you think that's not feasible. OK, you might prefer it on paper but many of us prefer it on the computer.

MrAgreeable

I like old technology. It's designed to last, and designed to be fixed if it goes wrong. Compare that to stuff like iPods which are designed to be thrown away after two years. Some new technology is great and enables you to do stuff you couldn't do before. Some is just landfill in waiting.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Amen to that

higgo
    Free Member

Despite all the bashing of me about GPS no one has answered the point – how do you plot a route across a distance without a map? Say Blair Athol to Kingussie? ( that being a route I have done)

I plotted Blair Athol – Loch Morlich – Tomintoul – Inverey – Blair Athol using TrackLogs without any problem at all. We rode it by GPS, two between four of us. We were carrying maps but they never came out.

There's no way to say this without it sounding a bit arrogant (and I don't want to) but I'm a pretty good navigator using the ancient ways. But I almost exclusively plan and navigate electronically these days. In my experience GPS always beats map and compass (or chart and compass afloat).

I'm not anti-map by any means – I love them and would always have one with me in an unfamiliar area – but they're a backup these days. And to be honest I'd rather have another GPS as a backup.

Maps can also be pretty dangerous in the wrong hands. I'd rather see someone with a GPS that shows their offtrack than someone who's misinterpretted a map and goes marching off confidently in the wrong direction.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No child will ever laugh at the might that is Cotic.

higgo
    Free Member

By 2020, we'll all have flying cars

I had a flying car in 1986. It was a Vauxhall Chevette. It didn't land quite as well as it flew but was still driveable.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

my 9 year old nephew was round the other day, had to explain (in the following order)
    – what a CD player was
    – what the big amp on top of said CD player did
    – who morrisey was (CD in the player at the time)
    – who the Smiths were
    What do they teach them in school these days??????

I on the otherhand was fascinated by the light sabre app he had on his ipod touch, makes a noise light a light sabre when you wave it around, brilliant!

marsdenman
    Free Member

This thread Puts me in mind of something that'll make you all point and laugh at – whenever I see a big, old, old tree, I find myself asking what it has seen in it's life – and the stories it could tell…….

IGMC…….

pjt201
    Free Member

the only one i don't agree with is "9. Keyboards", just try and touchtype on a flat, smooth touchscreen with no button movement.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like old technology. It's designed to last, and designed to be fixed if it goes wrong. Compare that to stuff like iPods which are designed to be thrown away after two years.

Hmm, ever try and repair an old skool tape player? They are a box of a million bits all of which have to be working perfectly otherwise it chews your tapes. Which happened a lot – remember that? Ten years ago people talked about the tape players of the day as new fangled crap that was waiting to be landfil. Most of my electronics on the other hand lasts ages without any moving parts to fail. Of cousre, I might like to upgrade it within a few years, but that's another issue.

Fact is, what you buy now is far far better, more useful and better designed than it ever was. You are just letting misty eyed nostalgia get in the way of your actual memory 🙂 Imagine having to carry about a bag of tapes just to listen to a few albums on your train journey. And having to sit there for an hour or two making a mix tape with only maybe 25 songs on it if you didn't want to listen to albums.

Yeah, iPods are shite aren't they? In fact, bring back.. er.. whatever it was people did before walkmans. Whistling – yeah…

molgrips
    Free Member

Re keyboards – they'll stay, but when will we get rid of QWERTY?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – plenty of non qwerty keyboards out there – the trouble is we are locked into them by the fact that thats what people (in the UK) know how to use – relearning touch-typing on a non qwerty is tricky.

IIRC french keyboards are different with the vowels as the home keys for one hand and the five commonest consonants as the home keys for the other.

you can buy keyboards in a variety of patterns.

MrAgreeable

ever try and repair an old skool tape player?

Tape wasn't the best technology but they are a darn sight more fixable than sealed units with a built-in rechargeable battery, or a microprocessor. And for studio recording, analogue is the way, for example you get distortion instead of clipping. The great majority of the music I listen to was recorded on analogue tape even if it comes to me digitally, and I bet this applies to most of us.

As for the convenience of modern music players, in some ways it's great, in other ways part of the experience has been lost. Listening to an entire side of an album isn't a chore if it's good, and you might have got more out of the experience than someone who skips between tracks in an ADD-ish fashion.

clubber
    Free Member

you might have got more out of the experience than someone who skips between tracks in an ADD-ish fashion.

I'm a compulsive skipper. I missing listening to a whole album as I basically never do it now even though I obviously could.

GrahamS

Hmm, ever try and repair an old skool tape player?

From memory, old skool tape players were entirely filled with tiny springs 🙂

Re keyboards – they'll stay

Hmmm.. I dunno. Some day someone will eventually produce speech recognition software that actually works.

Though admittedly, as a programmer, that's going to be a pain in the arse for me:
    "for, open-bracket-symbol, x, equals-symbol, number 1, semi-colon-symbol, x, less-than-or-equal-symbol, number 10,...."

molgrips
    Free Member

you can buy keyboards in a variety of patterns.

Yeah I know.. Maltron springs to mind.. but no-one actually does, do they? Computers or laptops don't come with this stuff.

And for studio recording, analogue is the way

So? What impact does that have on the ipod debate? None, I think you'll find 🙂 Studios can do what they like.

you might have got more out of the experience than someone who skips between tracks in an ADD-ish fashion.

Well the two activites are different. A whole album could be a complete work in itself, with the ebb and flow of tempos and themes constituting a journey or a story.. or it could be a few great hits padded out with junk. I've got both in my collection 🙂 I do listen to full albums sometimes but I've also found that with my entire colletion on random I hear certain songs in a totally different context which makes them sound totally different. I've often thought for the first minute of a song 'what the hell is this? I don't own this? It's great!' before eventually recognising it as somethign buried on an old old album. Relaly helps to keep your music fresh.

odannyboy
    Free Member

when my daughter was three and a half or four i found her sat at the computer pressing the keys (eventho it was switched off) i asked what she was doing and she said "sending an email" having never even talked to her directly about email it freaked me right out.

also got her a kiddies tape player and some story tapes that were the older kids years ago.remeber the totally confused look on her face as she said "whats that?"

what is it feris buller said? something like,
    ..life moves fast, if you dont stop and look around once in a while, it might leave you behind..

grumm
    Free Member

And for studio recording, analogue is the way, for example you get distortion instead of clipping. The great majority of the music I listen to was recorded on analogue tape even if it comes to me digitally, and I bet this applies to most of us.

Unless you listen to just older music or specifically seek out stuff recorded onto tape, the vast vast majority of stuff is recorded into ProTools now. Lots of people do still prefer to use analogue desks but recording onto tape is fairly rare these days really.

warton
    Free Member

Compare that to stuff like iPods which are designed to be thrown away after two years

My Ipod is 6 years old and going strong. My mate has a original 1st gen ipod, aslo still going strong. if anyhting ipods last longer than portable tape players / minidisc player, no moving parts…

ransos
    Free Member

"Once eBooks get enough momentum going, the cost of publishing real books will go up and up and up"

On the other hand, they should substantially reduce the cost of academic texts and journals. My Mrs works in professional tuition – her firm will be using readers for her class notes from next year as it will save a fortune on photocopying.

As for GPS, I just find plotting a route on a map so much more satisfying.

juan
    Free Member

IIRC french keyboards are different

Yes they are. I have no problem switching from Fr to UK. QWERTY and AZERTY were designed so that the typing machine would not be jammed. There is apparently some more efficient keyboard.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

It is true that the future will hold lots of things that we wouldn't think possible now.

Things like computer based implants, we are the computer and it's controlled from thought, music played directly into our ears from our built in wireless network connection, vast memory storage in our brains, no need for power as it uses our own energy source!

You wait the Matrix will be reality 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Breakfast TV

Dobbo

The GF's rabbit.

MrAgreeable

What impact does that have on the ipod debate?

Just because something's new it doesn't mean the old technology was bad – even something as unreliable as magnetic tape has advantages over digital (and yes I know hard disc recorders are now standard, but that doesn't make music recorded over 10 years ago sound rubbish to my ears).

Hi-fi equipment used to be bulky and awkward, but it was generally built to last, and if it broke you could take it to a repair shop. My parents still have the hifi system that their parents used to own, and it still works. Same with telecoms – phones were designed to be leased from the companies and were much more solidly put together than modern handsets.

Walkmans are designed to a similar brief as the iPod or mobile phones – a cheap portable device that no-one expects to last more than a few years.

GrahamS

Yeah but by the same argument products these days are far cheaper than they were.

Your parent's hifi was probably handed down to them as it was an expensive item that your grandparents saved up to buy and it had been treated carefully all its life.

MrAgreeable

Are products relatively cheaper, in terms of longevity? How much is an ipod Touch? They're about £250 no? That's one expensive Walkman. :-/

GrahamS

Fair point, but you couldn't play games, surf the web, watch TV or movies on a walkman.

So to do like for like you'd really have to compare iPod Touch to the total price in the '80s of a walkman, laptop, Astro Wars, portable TV etc.

ransos
    Free Member

IIRC video recorders were very expensive and very unreliable.

On the other hand, there's something very satisfying about owning good quality, repairable products. My amplifier is 15 years old, and has been back to the (British) manufacturer for one repair. I expect it's good for another 15 years.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘50 technological advances your children will laugh at’ is closed to new replies.