Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 50" HD TV…wtf?
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Seriously, a 50″ HD TV, manufactured in November 2014 is fitted with only a Freeview, not a FreeviewHD tuner! Talk about bizarre specification decisions.

Unfortunately it is going back.

GrahamS

Just buy an HD freeview box?

You’d probably need to do that anyway if you want to record stuff or pause live telly etc?

igm

My HD Samsung you stick a USB stick in the back and you can pause record etc.

Think I stuck a 512Mb in.

I’m guessing it was a fairly cheap 50″ TV?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

LG50PB5600

oldnpastit

It’s all about UHDTV now, no-one wants your ancient 1080p retro kit anymore 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

4K makes Eastenders come alive.

Drac

Pfft! UHD it’s all about SUHD.

iolo
    Free Member

OP, did you not check on spec before buying?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Mine has an inbuilt HD satellite tuner so I could put my old Sky box.

Has only a now and next TV guide option on the satellite mode so I can’t put on a reminder for 8 hours later.

Recorders are useful – finally binned the vcr.

I hardly watch TV so a big waste of money for my 55″. 😐

GrahamS

My HD Samsung you stick a USB stick in the back and you can pause record etc.

Think I stuck a 512Mb in.

How much HD content can you record on 512MB? 😕

My Humax PVR has a 1 terabyte drive in it.

skids
    Free Member

It’s probably an old design as it’s Plasma and/or it is designed for a foreign market

igm

Graham’s – there are four slots so I could have 4x whatever a big USB stick is these days. Or I could use a (non-bus powered) USB harddisk. But I don’t record much, mainly just pause. iPlayer changed everything.

teef
    Free Member

is fitted with only a Freeview, not a FreeviewHD tuner!

Why don’t you do some research on the specification of what you’re buying?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I didn’t check. I just assumed an HDTV would have an HD tuner. I take full responsibility, I just can’t believe that the person designing the product made that decision.

If you picked up a 2014 petrol car, you’d assume it team on Unleaded, rather than LRP or 4 Star…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just get a PVR, like a Humax. The recording interface will be a lot better, the EPG will be a lot better and you will access catch-up easier if it is a youview pvr, and it will provide access to netflix, etc.

Plus the upscaling engine might well be better than you TV – the one in my Virgin tivo is pretty good, but the one in its predecessor box was better.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘50" HD TV…wtf?’ is closed to new replies.