Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • 50% discount for social tenants wanting to buy their own homes…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

B’owt £450

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Given that i’d have no deposit and a dodgy credit rating – probably upwards of £800/month.

hora
    Free Member

Paying £300 in rent a month? Where do you get that gig?

Wow. Does one need to have a disability or be on a low income? Genuinely interested – how do you land it?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You probably need to have a house repo’d and be homeless with a young family.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Given that i’d have no deposit and a dodgy credit rating

Fair dues… there’s a reason why I’m glad that social housing exists and I don’t believe it should be sold off at a discount to a lucky minority.

5lab

90k mortgauge is approx £475 (4% interest rate). which sounds like a lot more than your £300 – however..

your £300 should rise in line with inflation (I’d imagine thats how it works??). if inflation is 3% average over the next 25 years, your average payment is £437 over that time. if its 4% over the next 25 years, your average payment is £500

so its not hard for something that seems expensive at day 1, to actually be cheaper over the 25 year period. of course, after that, the house is yours with no more payments to make

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I am also of the opinion that social housing should not be sold off never mind for a discount.

binners

He’s a black, lesbian, Asylum-seeker with learning difficulties 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

I am also, also of the opinion that social housing should not be sold off never mind for a discount

Coyote
    Free Member

Brilliant!!!

Sell off social housing. Now where to build new “affordable” housing? Oh look, Fatboy Pickles has “relaxed” the local planning procedures. There goes the greenbelt!

People purchase the properties on the low mortgage rates at the moment, mortage rates go up. ****! Re-possession a la 80’s. Loadsa cheap housing stock sold off by banks to recoup their losses. Newly homeless move in, DWP paying the (over inflated) bills.

Gotta love Osbourne.

Oh and I also believe that social housing stock should never be sold off.

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t you live in Walkerburn SBZ?

I never thought of it as particularly expensive for normal[ish] houses

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Used to live there. Long long long story.

wrecker
    Free Member

I f****** hate Eric Pickles. Fat useless pile of shit.

hora
    Free Member

I am also, also of the opinion that social housing should not be sold off never mind for a discount

Agree. In addition if we continual ‘need’ even more ‘affordable housing’ – why? Shouldn’t we focus more on the ills of our society rather than creating a bigger matt to lift and sweep it all under??

bikebouy
    Free Member

C’mon, lets not pointy finger wag at the dissadvantaged. You can’t tarnish the vast majority of those that live in social housing with the occasional “hide my daughter under the bed for a ransom” minority..

I used to be in the “Property Game” and those that we looked after (a block tenancy) were the nicest folks out there, some would never be able to live alone, nor possibly should they, but the Council made a good old job of making sure all tenants there were looked after and the properties kept well, we used to be audited every quarter and quite right too.

I wonder what will happen to those folk.

5lab

i’m good with it being sold of if its being replaced on a like-for-like basis. Councils own a lot of land, and their build cost is loads cheaper (as they can skip the planning regs etc)

What should be easy to do is have a method where for every x houses a builder builds, one has to be given to the LA for social housing?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C’mon, lets not pointy finger wag at the dissadvantaged.

Have you stolen some crack off of one of the old tennants? 😉

Universally people are agreeing that this idea is silly and that we should keep social housing to help those most at need in society?

camo16
    Free Member

I f****** hate Eric Pickles. Fat useless pile of shit.

+1

If only all political analysis was this much to the point. 😆

Oh and I also believe that social housing stock should never be sold off.

Oh – me too.

Klunk
    Free Member

i may as well top myself now, if next door buy their house my life won’t be worth living. It’s hard enough to get the housing association to stop them using the back garden as a scrap yard and the front garden as a tip for old matresses. And to think after the last lot you think it couldn’t get any worse.

ourmaninthenorth

I mean I don’t want the likes of mahoosive property developers gettting hold of them and turning out tenants left/right/center.

What, charming types like Nicholas “King of the Slums” van Hoogstraten?

So the £’s raised last time didn’t go to the Councils.. interesting that, it kinda did though yeah in a roundabout kinda way.

You have to remember that, while Thatcher publicly stated a hug dislike of the state when she was PM, actually the neo-conservative view was of centralisation. Money went into central government (which actually grew in size, rather than shrank).

So, not only does this have an effect on the new prospective tenants/owners, it also has an effect on cost containment in the Property Depts of Councils, will they need all those workers/administrators any longer? D’owt it.

Less relevant to the issue than the placing of what was once state owned housing stock – available for the most vulnerable of society – into private hands.

Bet half of London is going “Whooop!!!” the other half are growning.

Yep. When it was done last time, it contributed massively to the 1980s housing boom (and bust), which has in turn fuelled the same of the 1990s/2000s.

I’m cringing at the thought of this.

jota180
    Free Member

The ‘New Towns’ that were built after the war were a superb idea

My dad took a job with the council building them [1957] and in return got a great house and a wage to spend in the local economy

philconsequence
    Free Member

less social housing means the type of person i look after will find it even harder to move back into independent living, meaning the government will need to keep paying 700-1200pounds a week to have them live in a room with me. granted its a small section of society that i deal with, but its not the most cost effective plan for the mentally unwell and physically disabled/long term health related benfit crowd either i imagine!

binners

Klunk – Your neighbours?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Paying £300 in rent a month? Where do you get that gig?

Wow. Does one need to have a disability or be on a low income? Genuinely interested – how do you land it?

I was homeless, No really I was, living out of my company car, and the occasional sleep on pals sofas etc…was a very strange time in my life was 3 years ago now and I’m nearly there thats how I got mine. i pay £320 for a 1 bedroom flat with smack heads using our entrance way at night for their fun and games….

Klunk
    Free Member

not quite but close, they’ve only managed to burn down their other neighbours shed, and they’ve missed off the pallet decking on that model.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘50% discount for social tenants wanting to buy their own homes…’ is closed to new replies.