Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • 50% discount for social tenants wanting to buy their own homes…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jesus H. Christ!!

camo16
    Free Member

Is that Jesus Henry Christ, or Jesus Horace Christ?

There’s a BIG difference.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its Christ on a bike!

philconsequence
    Free Member

tis a bit unfair, i deserve a 50%discount on buying a house. i is a jolly good citizen (awaits links, facts and some well argued points of view from people much more clued up than myself before making any further comments) 😯

binners

50% discount taxpayer subsidy for social tenants potential Tory voters wanting to buy their own homes

Shirley Porter FTFY 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Or is that an upto 50% discount?

MSP

Where?

Is this another Government scheme to keep the housing bubble inflated, and thereby maximise bank profits?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just quoted the BEEB…

totalshell

gets some appalling housing stock off the market.. and will cost nowt because who do you think living in a council property can get a mortgage..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is it also a reduction in discount?

totalshell – you’re either a troll or a banker with spelling difficulties

mrmo
    Free Member

So are we private tenants going to recieve this valuable assistance to buy our own homes?

oh silly me, that would mean buying tory voters portfolios wouldn’t it…

ourmaninthenorth

Listen, I know the 1980s are back in fashion, but FFS….

🙄

vinnyeh

Giving his autumn statement today, Chancellor George Osborne said the receipts from this scheme will be used to build more affordable homes.

😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good, it’ll bring in a little earner for Councils and the like, save them maintaining/fixing them when the tenants break them. Invariably those left in social housing are there for a reason, I hope that they get the oportunity that they may never have had.

Don’t care about the subsidy, for the vast majority this will be THE only time they’ll be able to afford it.

B’owt time too.

House prices are still over inflated.

Rio

Is this another Government scheme to keep the housing bubble inflated, and thereby maximise bank profits?

Wouldn’t have said it’s anything to do with bank profits – they’ve already factored in a drop in house prices. It’s more to do with appeasing those in the electorate that still think “property is always a good investment”. Over-inflated house prices are still the elephant in the room that someone needs to address.

binners

Good, it’ll bring in a little earner for Councils and the like

The councils didn’t keep the proceeds from the sales last time around. I doubt it’ll be any different under Eric “thumb’ pickles localism proposals

prezet
    Free Member

Have I time travelled back to the Thatcher years? Kill me now.

willard

If the 80’s are back in, I’d best dog out my parachute pants and start styling my hair.

Can’t touch this…

jota180
    Free Member

The councils didn’t keep the proceeds from the sales last time around.

It was a long time ago and my memory is foggy but weren’t they allowed the money [or some of it] but not allowed to use it to replace the housing lost?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Giving his autumn statement today, Chancellor George Osborne said the receipts from this scheme will be used to build more affordable homes.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I live in a housing association owned house. We pay £300/month rent, to buy it even with a 50% discount would cost us £600/month for the next 25yrs. Dont think I’ll be taking them up on that one.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

As long as the profits are pumped back into building more social houses its a fracking great policy move.

liquidated buckets of assetts, could potentially smash the buy to let market too.

jota180
    Free Member

As long as the profits are pumped back into building more social houses

I’ve read ‘affordable’ housing not ‘social’

ourmaninthenorth

Good, it’ll bring in a little earner for Councils and the like, save them maintaining/fixing them when the tenants break them. Invariably those left in social housing are there for a reason, I hope that they get the oportunity that they may never have had.

Don’t care about the subsidy, for the vast majority this will be THE only time they’ll be able to afford it.

B’owt time too.

House prices are still over inflated.

You know how we love irony in this country? Well, I love this. Genius. Sheer genius.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i probably have a bad case of teh dumbz but how would it effect the buy to let market?

EDIT – also from the beeb:

Mortgage indemnity scheme to help up to 100,000 people buy homes with 5% deposit.

back to 5% deposits eh? how would a mortgage indemnity scheme work?

5lab

wasn’t this announced 2 weeks ago? its only up to a max of 70k or something anyway

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As long as the profits are pumped back into building more social houses its a fracking great policy move

You clearly live in a differnet dream world to me!

Kill me now.

There’s a queue for the gun…

jota180
    Free Member

What’s the discount that’s available under the current scheme? it’s capped at a figure rather than a % IIRC

5lab

its both 25% and 35k at the moment I think

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So a housing assiciation has a flat worth 100 000 and has to sell it for 50 000. Sure they are going to be able build more with all that riches 🙄

The council house sales – the councils were not allowed to build more houses with the proceeds – not that they got enough anyway.

the net result of this is the taxpayer is impoverished as most of the sold of council houses have ended up in the hands of landlords renting to the unemployed where the taxpayer pays housing benefit that is considerably higher than the council house rent would have been.

WE also have very little council housing stock left that is any good.

it stinks

bikebouy
    Free Member

I just wonder if the current tenant in the said property can actually raise the mortgage, if not what happens then? I’m a bit too young to remember this the first time round (well actually took no notice whatsoever being in A Level Land)
    I’m sure the Gov’t have thought of this?
    THey have yeah?
    Erm…sure they have..
    I mean I don’t want the likes of mahoosive property developers gettting hold of them and turning out tenants left/right/center.

So the £’s raised last time didn’t go to the Councils.. interesting that, it kinda did though yeah in a roundabout kinda way.

So, not only does this have an effect on the new prospective tenants/owners, it also has an effect on cost containment in the Property Depts of Councils, will they need all those workers/administrators any longer? D’owt it.

Bet half of London is going “Whooop!!!” the other half are growning.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I live in a housing association owned house. We pay £300/month rent, to buy it even with a 50% discount would cost us £600/month for the next 25yrs. Dont think I’ll be taking them up on that one.

me too! I think me and my other half are the only people with jobs on our road though.

jota180
    Free Member

I would have liked a policy where developers are forced to rent out [at market rates] any property they have not sold within 3 months of it’s completion. With a clause on building times to stop them leaving stuff unfinished.

philconsequence
    Free Member

wow, you can’t rent a room in a shared house minus the bills for 300 a month anywhere around here!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But on the plus side Phil… you see sunlight all year round.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Places which have been bought in the street and subsequently rented out go for around £800/month. Still way below what a mortgage would cost.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

wow, you can’t rent a room in a shared house minus the bills for 300 a month anywhere around here!

On ‘Home under the hammer’ this morning there was a house in Wales you could have bought with a decent credit card.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

SBZ – how much are the houses worth then? You could be looking at a £180k mortgage for £800…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Something like that.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But if you could get it for £90k… now how much would the mortgage cost you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘50% discount for social tenants wanting to buy their own homes…’ is closed to new replies.