Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 5 year old's spelling
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Now that we've got a new PM, back to more important stuff.

My 5 year old did a picture at school and it had this written at the top:

chrejmap

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

wildheart
    Free Member

Treasure Map I reckon

Classic

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sounds like somewhere in Croatia!

RealMan
    Free Member

Whats the picture of?

scaredypants

wildheart's right, I reckon

My youngest is called Anna. One of her friends writes it "AN" – or at least she used to last time I saw 😆

carlosg
    Free Member

yeah gotta be treasure map , my 5 year olds spelling seems really good so far but this learning phonetically is a pain as he's been pronouncing words literally plee-as instead of please being a prime example (took us 4 weeks to stop this one)

All the teacher said when we expressed concern was 'oh thats how we do it nowadays , just correct him when he makes a mistake'

thegreatape
    Free Member

definitely treasure map. My daughter, at age 9, still spells a lot of things phonetically. Not a great system as far as I can see, although that view is only based on observing one child of course. Thank goodness she has started reading a bit more now.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Treasure Map it was – made me laugh.

My wife's a primary teacher and she's not bothered about it – it's called "emergent writing" apparently.

I'm just chuffed that my 5 year old boy wants to write anything off his own bat. His sister (6) is always writing stories but up to now Arthur hasn't wanted to write as much, and when he does it's usually a list – V male behaviour! Mind you the other day he did write quite a long piece:

Iloocatthemoon.themoonhazcraitzorloovit

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The pic BTW is a map of an island covered with "cogs that slice your head off" with the treasure hidden under them. 😀

igm

Single speed cog by any chance?

Probably directions to Charlie T Bikemonger's then

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you scan it in for us please? 🙂

nickc

Phonetics has it's place, what it's not so good at is context. You learn a sound, but in isolation with no real understanding of reading or writing the word you're sounding out. There are now more complete systems (Read Write Inc springs to mind) which does the whole, so as you learn the phonetic sound you learn to see it on the page in a word, and do the writing all at the same time.

Jesus, that's got to be the dullest post ever…

Notter
    Free Member

It's like complicated txt spk…..!

DezB
    Free Member

The way I see it (it took me a while to appreciate this!) – phonetics gets them started, then they begin to learn the words and memorise the spelling. My boy's 7 and over the past year his spelling and particularly reading has come on leaps and bounds.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

phonetics gets them started, then they begin to learn the words and memorise the spelling.

Dead right. That's why it is important to listen to your child read. Then you spot the words they sound out wrong and correct them.

I'm usually the one that reads the kids their bedtime story, but often my 6 year old reads a bit of it and the 5 year old reads a sentence or two as well.

yossarian
    Free Member

my 3 year old insists on reading a bedtime story to his little brother (20 months). Its ususally 'the very hungry caterpillar' but quite often Batman emerges from the coccoon rather than a butterfly 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The cartwheel bits are the "cogs that slice your head off – NB one of them has treasure (X) underneath"

Also the line of small circles on the right hand side are "things that roll down and kill you" when you try to get the treasure just N of them.

He's a bloodthirsty little sod.

DezB
    Free Member

He's a bloodthirsty little sod

Nah, he's a boy 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon your 5yr old has better handwriting than me 🙁

earbyphil
    Free Member

He is due for a job at Ordinance Survey as his map is more accurate.

antigee

can someone give me a postcode for that?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘5 year old's spelling’ is closed to new replies.