Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 5 weight oil replacing 7.5?
  • seanodav
    Free Member

Will it make any difference in an open bath 55 rc3 ti, if so by much?

LoCo
    Free Member

less rebound less compression

seanodav
    Free Member

thanks simon, im guessing being 9.5 stone and using no compression this wont matter? only reason is i can get 5 weight easily as apposed to having to order 7.5

riddoch

Apparently there isn’t a standard for oil weight, so one brands 5w could be as viscous as another’s 7.5w.

poah
    Free Member

depends on the viscosity index of the oil. some 7.5wt oils are as thin as 5wt

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/9216346.png

seanodav
    Free Member

minefield… so dump it in and adjust compression/rebound to suit. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can dial the damping up a bit, then it’ll be fine obv.

If you are already on max compression then no.

bigjim

I’ve used this since reading into this stuff here and on mtbr. Fox 10w is heavier than some 15w for example

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

welshfarmer

I approached my local Motocross race team to buy some fork oil and they only had 10wt and 5wt. Apparently if they need 7.5 they just mix 5wt & 10wt 50:50. ❓

seanodav
    Free Member

great, thanks for help folks.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve been thinking about putting a heavier weight (or higher viscosity) oil in my open bath Floats to give them more compression damping (I can then turn the rebound damping down a bit).

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Maxima racing 7 weight fork oil has v similar sae and what I use in all my zocchis. Not too dear either.

bigyinn
    Free Member

welshfarmer – Member

I approached my local Motocross race team to buy some fork oil and they only had 10wt and 5wt. Apparently if they need 7.5 they just mix 5wt & 10wt 50:50.
    Apparently that will get you close, but it isnt quite that simple. I think its something like 2/3 10wt to 1/3 5wt to get 7.5.
    That peterverdone link is quite useful.

welshfarmer

The 50:50 was my assumption to be fair. They just said that they mix the 2 weights to get the other weight. They probably know what they are doing being one of the big Motocross teams on the UK circuit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘5 weight oil replacing 7.5?’ is closed to new replies.