Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • 5 weeks ago I was 14.5st…
  • Shred
    Free Member

For me, the difficulty is understanding how much food to eat in comparison to the amount of exercise.

I’ve never really done a large amount of training. At the moment I’m training for the Marmotte, so have had a huge increase over what I am used to. The result was an increase in my body weight, and decrease in performance as I wasn’t eating enough. I’ve now dropped weight due to increase in eating.

It is amazing how muc you delude yourself about your weight. I was absolutely adamant when I was at my heaviest that I was just a bit over weight, and was just big boned. When I got down to 80, I thought I was basically there and no need to drop any more. Now I’m under 75, I can see that I still have fat around my stomach and I would like to get down to actually having a 6 pack for the first time in my life.

I just need to watch this, especially once I reduce my training again and ensure I make this new lower weight my normal range.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not read all the bickering posts but well done on your weight loss.

Since 1st January this year I’ve lost just under 7kg by using the ‘doing more and eating less’ method. Down from just under 74kg to 67kg.

Boardinbob – cycling burns around 1000kcal/hr

Thats a fairly optimistic figure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I would like to get down to actually having a 6 pack for the first time in my life.”

Not the greatest idea – the fat% needed to keep a 6 pack visible is unsustainable long term IMO , i found i picked up every illness going at the time too.

Shred
    Free Member

12% is the often quoted figure, which is not low for a healthy male. Obviously this varies from person to person, but I’m sure it is healthier than having a spare tyre.

deviant
    Free Member

Another one here who favours the ‘move more – eat less’ approach.

You can of course read every book going, become an expert on the glycemic index of foods, your body’s insulin response to certain foods, metabolic rates, supplements, exercise etc etc….but most people dont have the time or interest span, i touched the subject briefly when i had mates who entered body building contests….those guys are masters at shedding fat for contests, they come down to scary low bodyfat percentages and look shrink wrapped the week of the competition….how do they do it?….in the simplest terms they restrict calories in the most brutal way obviously….they keep training and keep the protein going in so as to hold onto as much muscle as possible (although some is lost) during the 8-16 weeks typically needed to become contest ready.

Google pictures of POWs liberated by the allies from German camps, its no secret how they ended up that emaciated….forced labour and a lack of food….or ‘move more – eat less’ in a tasteless analogy i’ll admit.

Leanest i’ve ever been was when i kickboxed regularly….2 x 1.5hr sessions per week, 1 x weights session of my own accord and 1 x 45min squash game each week….ordered lean meats, fish, salads if eating out….never had desert and ate cereal (breakfast), sandwich (lunch) and a pasta or rice evening meal every bloody day….drank a ton of water too….only drank at weekends….didnt touch fizzy drinks, sweets, crisps etc….BORING. AS. HELL.

….but it did the trick, great fitness, proper weight for my height as opposed to the bulky look i have now and visible muscles all over my body.

The ‘secret’ to any of this (if there is such a thing) is having the willpower to do it, losing weight is difficult enough mentally but then changing your whole attitude to food and disciplining yourself to only eat what you need each day as opposed to what you want can be hideous when all around you are stuffing their faces with whatever they desire.

Anyway i always found it easiest when i committed to a sport, kickboxing worked for me but i know others who have done the same with Rugby…the commitment to a team or trying not to get a pasting at classes is often the best motivation….pounding the bike by yourself or working at the gym on your own is hard to keep up for most people.

Shred
    Free Member

I haven’t really found the need to be brutal with cutting my food. I still have pizza occasionally, or a Chinese. For me it was cutting how much cereal I eat for breakfast (the portion size is much smaller than most people eat), no snacks between meals, and portion control for lunch and dinner.

I still eat what I enjoy, just in proper proportion.

BoardinBob

Boardinbob – cycling burns around 1000kcal/hr

Gluptons estimate, not mine

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I know.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye strava and endomondo reckons 1k cals for one hour cycling . 1 hour melting it on my commute burns 500 according to hrm – still a guess but closer than going by speed an incline alone as we dont all burn the same/need to work as hard to travel at the same speed and distance.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m the same on mine – between 5-600 on a 1ish hour commute using a garmin. 558 this morning for 19.4miles. I know not 100% accurate but I would say 1000 is well over estimated.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’ll add my congrats to Glupton. It took a lot of work and willpower for that. My partner’s on similar meds and is constantly wanting chocolate to get rid of mouthfeel.

Keep going!

I’m trying to lose a few pounds, so have joined the Strava May ‘number of miles’ target. I’ll never get a KOM as I’m not a speed demon but it is a way to keep me motivated to get out on a bike.

ianv
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that most of the people who don’t believe in “eat less, move more” are fat bastards.
    Basic premise -“That may work in practice, but it doesn’t fit my theory, therefore it cannot be true, bring me another doughnut.”

😆 😀 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

I seem to be still losing weight even if I eat loads of rubbish. Like today 4 pints of Stella, 3 hot cross buns, 2 packets of crisps, cheese on toast. If I’ve had a bad/naughty day I just cut back on everything else.
    I’m active at work as well as all the riding, so with me I think it’s just quantity of food that needs to be kept in check.
    I don’t live on that of course, but it just goes to show it’s pretty simple all this weight loss stuff.

After years of extensive study, I have found irrefutable evidence that…

…if I eat lots of crap food and don’t get much exercise, I put weight on.

You’ll never believe this – if I eat smaller amounts of decent food and get a moderate amount of exercise – wait for it…….. yup, I lose weight!

Rocket science it is not!

Well done glupton

_tom_
    Free Member

Good effort 🙂 it really is that simple to lose weight which is why I can’t stand people whining about being fat and how hard it is to lose it! I’m almost where I want to be with fat loss but the last bits are much harder, or at least they are for me. On a keto diet which is helping, just need to get off my arse and put in some more roadie miles!

tjx79
    Free Member

Great effort glupton1976! Well done!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Jeez Solo, believe it or not it is possible for people to lose weight by burning more calories than they take in. All the OP stated was that was how he achieved it. You are obviously very sensitive on the matter for whatever reasons, and took it personally, but there’s no need to be such a tool about it.

Great work OP, I have lost a total of 4 stone over a few years with your same miracle weight-loss regime.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was 13 stone 4 on 14th Feb, 7 weeks later I was 11 stone 6, 2 sessions of chemo and 34 sessions of radiotherapy did it for me 😕

Trekster

Not all over weight people are in the fortunate position to be able to exercise. My wife has this condition and other issues which can prevent her from doing too much.

Well done Glupton.

I managed to get below 14st for the first time in 33yrs last year. Then my mum and dad took ill and my exercise and eating regime went out the window. I also work 12hr shifts inc nights which I struggle to get through without eating junk!!

33yrs ago I contracted salmonella and went from 12st to 9st in the matter of 2wks, did/could not eat for 6wks.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well done OP. I actually dropped 7lbs by starting training properly again. No change in diet. I’ve lost more than 7lbs in fat but I’ve put on muscle so it’s disguised somewhat.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘5 weeks ago I was 14.5st…’ is closed to new replies.