Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • £5 to forum if you can better my Mobile Deal
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

1 phone call to Orange Mobile Phones and the lady gives me her first offer at the end of my 18 month contract. I’ve got the bike to sort for tomorrow, so wondered if anyone can give me the benefit of their knowledge and save me the hassle of ringing round today to sort out a new mobile deal.

Criteria

Essential
    1) Camera same/better than current K850i. – don’t want to carry camera when riding.
    2) Wi-fi – so I can quickly check weather/google query without having to turn on PC
    3) Not 3Network – rubbish in West Cumbria & the Lakes
    4) 75 texts + 150 mins per month usage minimum
    5) Not cashback deal – in case they go bust and then I get hammered.

Optional
    6) Nokia or Sony Erricson prefferred – used in past and happy with them
    7) Like the Iphone, but idon’t think they are cheap enough yet for what I do. The camera is below par too.
    8) Keep same number
    9) Keep same broadband deal – to save hassle of changeover.
    10) Max contract length 24 months, ideally 18.

I currently get 1GB usage broadband with my £18 pcm contract (with orange). It has been fine so far.

They offered me:-

a) Sim Only – ticks all of the above + £14.50 pcm + 300min + 100 Text (can cancel at any time)
    b) Nokia N95 – ticks all of the above + £195 + £20 pcm + 300min + 100 Text(didn’t ask length of contract)
    c) SonyE C902 – ticks all of the above + £195 + £18 pcm + 300min + 100 Text(didn’t ask length of contract it will be 18 or 24 months)

I may also
    d) Get the contract phone, put sim in my old phone & sell new phone – this will make all 3 deals the same in effect (b & c maybe £1 pcm cheaper over 2 years), so I’d go for the 1st deal to save the hassle.

I’m sure they will do slightly better than that in the end.

So can anyone do better? remember to add on cost of broadband elsewhere if it is not covered by the mobile deal

Lesanita2
    Free Member

DOn’t know where that smiley came from? didn’t put that in intentionally (hope to see the old preview function on the forum soon).

matt_outandabout

I pay £25 per month for E51 (but could have got most phones), with 600mins and 600 texts and some data. Phone was free, and got a free wii and games and £60 cash.

8)

Milkie
    Free Member

c) SonyE C902 – ticks all of the above + £195 + £18 pcm + 300min + 100 Text(didn’t ask length of contract it will be 18 or 24 months)

Don’t think it ticks all your boxes. C902 doesn’t have Wi-Fi. Mine doesn’t, would be pretty good if it did!

I’d say you need to look at online deals, I got mine over 6 months ago free with a PS3 free. 600minutes, 600 texts, 18 month contract data stuff, blah blah blah. Got mine from dialaphone, previous year I got a Wii 😉

jam-bo

someone else pays my bill. Beat that…

DickBarton

You don’t need wifi to go online to check weather…but it is nice to have…thing is, even if it is wifi-enabled, unless you can connect to a wifi connection – it ain’t any use…

All phones nowadays are 3G capable – but you can turn it off (which improves battery life).

As for your contract – I’m struggling to recommend Vodafone over anything bar coverage – I’ve got 600 mins/unlimited texts and a bonus unlimited data package for £35 per month – I have seen cheaper elsewhere but they don’t tend to give unlimited text AND data…but I’m no longer a high value customer of Vodafone – previous 3 contracts had me spending £35 per month and they would kiss my feet…this contract update I was fighting for everything and I was given the option of 3 phones (and 1 was never in stock!)…so £35 doesn’t get you much in the world of Vodafone mobiles these days…

I wouldn’t change from Vodafone though, coverage has always been the same (usually better) than any of the others…

Lesanita2
    Free Member

The lady at orange must have got it wrong then. Are there any wifi sonys?

DickBarton, I have a wifi hub at home. Its very handy for a quick check on anything onthe web. I nick the wife’s N95 frquently for this.

vodaphone slightly, but not significantly better round here.

Thanks for posts, its looking like the sim only option is unbeatable.

Milkie
    Free Member

The lady at orange must have got it wrong then. Are there any wifi sonys?

Yup. The Sony Ericsson C905. It also has GPS and an 8.1mp camera.

scaredypants

*hijack* (soz)

does anyone do deals for decent browsy handset but just lots of 3g data, no calls or txt ?

(I’m currently on PAYG and way under 50 quid a year on calls, most of which are abroad on holidays and I’ve sent about 5 txts ever)

Lesanita2
    Free Member

no probs with hijak scaredypants ,but you are better off starting a new thread to increase you chances of a reply. I do 75 texts + 150 mins per month, so that would be 10p per text & at least 10p/min on payg. I’d maybe not use the phone so much if I had payg (say half). That would still be £12.25 + cost of 1GB of broadband (say £10). I think I’ll not be able to reduce usage below that.

C905 is what it must have been (sorry). It sounds good. I’ll have a look at its spec. Thanks.

Smee
    Free Member

Try this – get a sim only 30 day contract from Vodafone – 600mins, unlimited texts for £19.57/month. When it arrives go to their site and look at upgrade deals. (Because you are within the final 7 months of your contract you are eligible for an upgrade.) Choose your phone – I went for a Blackberry thing on an 18 month contract. Once that arrives phone Vodafone and get their £5/month unlimited data. This is what I did. Equivalent contract would be £35/month.

thegreatape
    Free Member

DickBarton – I found the same, vodafone weren’t anything like as generous as they have been in previous years.

I got a SonyEricsson C902 for £40, 150 mins, 500 txts and unlimited internet for £20 a month on 18 month contract. I have always kept it at 12 mpnths until now but they wouldn’t give me any phones on a 12 month contract.

Well happy with that phone though, good for pictures (5MP) and quick on the internet.

colande
    Free Member

if your contract is up,
    ask for your pac number,
    this will set off protocol in which they will transfer you to someone who will offer you the best deals to make you stay with them,

scaredypants

smee,
    that looks like something I might do but I think I’ve misunderstood:
    please can you clarify –

are you still paying 19.57 per month plus now a fiver for unlimited data, or something else ? (ie what’s the 18 month contract bit done to your tariff ?)

If you’ve wangled a free phone plus unlimited data for only a fiver a month and got rid of the 19.57 I’m well impressed

Smee
    Free Member

I now pay £24.57 for 600mins, unlimited text and data.

If you dont need as many minutes or texts you could get it a lot cheaper.

Hmmmmmm – I can see a money making scheme in there somewhere.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

“a) Sim Only – ticks all of the above + £14.50 pcm + 300min + 100 Text (can cancel at any time)”

Ask them nicely if they can better it. I’m with O2 and as I’d been with them a few years they offered me a loyalty deal where I could get 250 minutes and 250 texts or 75 minutes and unlimited texts for £4.86 per month. I went for the unlimited texts as that’s what I mostly use, perfect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wait for contract to expire then ask what they can do. I got £10 off a £25 tariff over 10 months and a 5800.

twonks

I’ve just got a deal from O2 online.

Sim only 12 month contract.

600mins, 1200 texts and unlimited internet for just under £20.

Used it with Iphone 3G and it was very good, but didn’t ike the phone too much so sold it on.

Now using old K800i but looking for a new alternative.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I get
    sony 902, wouldn’t recommend it, go for the 905. Wasn’t available when i renewed.
    300 mins
    1000 txt’s
    50 video mins
    50 picture messages
    1gb internet
    and 12 month contract.

£25 quid a month!

beat that!

oh and its on 3, i get better coverage in the lakes than mrs fm on voda too.
    everybody slates 3 coverage but i’ve been with them for 7 years now and never had issue.

i also get mobile broadband for £5 a month, 10gb.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Need to add, i also get £5 worth of free downloads per month, can use i on anything.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

FunkyMonkey, thats a bit more than I need, for more money. Thanks for reply.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘£5 to forum if you can better my Mobile Deal’ is closed to new replies.