Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 5 Ten shoes
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Are these as good people say? What makes them better than a pair of merrell’s for example?
    Is it me or are they dam ugly shoes? If they looked like these trail running shoes that 5 Ten make, I wouldn’t mind shelling out for them..

Any recommendations on mtb shoes for use with flats?

jam-bo

Any recommendations on mtb shoes for use with flats?

Five tens.

Northwind

Sombrio did good shoes but hard to find now. Five Ten Freerider is a good ‘un and good looking too, much less clumpy than the Impact and better in bad weather too but lacks the protection- wouldn’t have broken my toe if I still had my Impacts!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

What makes them better than a pair of merrell’s for example?

Flat sticky sole, designed for the job.

Impact sam hill’s are better than the standard impacts.

riddoch

The imapacts do look odd off the bike but they do just work. With a set of superstar pedals you almost feel as secure as being clipped in. I had a set of shimnano flats and they were good but just not quite as grippey.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Best I’ve come across. Expensive. But they really do stick (almost too much sometimes). They also come in half sizes which is good. Try CRC for discounted Five 10s

daveh
    Free Member

Popped in to jejames to buy some of their cheap teva links and I had a good look at all the 5 10s while I was there (I own some impacts and some impact sam hills). For me the pick of the lot was the new impact vxi, same full grippy sole, lighter, slimer and perhaps more weather resistant. £100+ though 😮

smatkins1
    Free Member

Worth every penny! Grip like glue to my vaults. You don’t have many contact points with your bike, this is one contact point where it is worth spending money on. My freeriders are a year old now, and after 5000km of use the soles still look and grip like new. Unbelievable considering how soft the rubber is and how quickly other shoes deteriate. If only they didn’t act like big sponges in the rain. The feeling of putting on wet shoes the next day is most unpleasant.

andyrm
    Free Member

The new Impact is loads better – massive improvement, still has all the toe box protection but a slimmer and more UK friendly upper 🙂

sideshow
    Free Member

I had impacts for a year. Less than a year. Much like the old 5.10 rock boots, they grip better than anything else, but fall apart sooner as well.

They almost never fully dried out between rides, and eventually fell apart probably because of that. Picked up a 2nd hand pair of sombrio now, lucky me, they are much more waterproof. Not quite got as much grip but I don’t need it – with good pedals + 5.10s you sometimes stick so well you can’t adjust your feet if you place them wrong! A nice problem to have for sure, but an unnecessary one.

Maybe the more waterproof 5.10s like freeriders will be better but I wouldn’t hold my breath on durability. Actually what’s the world record for breath holding? You might outlive the shoes…

Shimano AM41s always got good reviews as well, though I’ve never owned any. Far less padded – depends what you want more of, padding or waterproofing, they don’t tend to play well together as padding is fundamentally a big sponge.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Shoe lifespan seems to vary massively with Five Ten. I still have an original part of Sam Hill Impacts that I use as my spares – they refuse to die, and when I chuck them in the washing machine they come up near on mint.

The sole is pretty chewed up, but still masses more grip than anything else i’ve tried & the cardboard inside have long since departed, but they keep going.

Ive tried the Freeriders since but found the sole a bit flexy for me. Have set of the new Impact VXi which are basically an all round improvement.

Like any shoes that constantly get soaked through most weeks, some of those little shoe dryer things are ideal.

As for comparisons, nothing else really compares. Some of the alternatives arn’t bad but nothing is as good as a Five Ten for outright grip (good thing IMO).

Goldigger
    Free Member

Vxi don’t look to bad apart from the price.. what’s the sizing like for 5 tens?
    My shimano M183’s are an EU43 IF that’s any help..

Northwind

I think the thing with the grip is overstated- yes, they’re the grippiest. But there’s tons of shoes that are more than grippy enough. For me the extra grip’s occasionally useful when I’m really tired and screwing up but mostly it’s irrelevant and sometimes it’s annoying, so all in all it’s not in my list of things to be excited about.

deadkenny
    Free Member

For me,

1. Grip
    2. Solid (having had experience of mashing up toes in not so protective shoes)
    3. Stiff sole, perfect for a flat shoe platform.

That said, yes you can get plenty of other shoes to do a good job also and grip isn’t what everyone’s after. Does pair well with big pin flats like Vaults though.

Downside… Impacts are sponges. They take forever to dry out. And they look ugly.

But I’m totally sold now on the Freerider Elements. They look nicer, lighter, and the elements part of it means they actually dry quick.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘5 Ten shoes’ is closed to new replies.