Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • 5-spot, Knolly Endorphin or Spicy 318 for AM duties
  • beagle
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the ST angle on the endo, those comments relate to the 1st gen model. The 4×4 design is bang on and I have had little maintainence to do on my first gen endo. The ST angle is fine for me at 5 10 with a medium plus 50mm stem. 150mm white bros loop fork.

As comments above its got a stiff rear end and I’ve had 2 Ventanas with quad bearings, which are known for their stiffness. I’ve ridden all but TNT spots and as much as I like them I prefer the knolly.

Never ridden a Lappierre, except a quick spin on a froggy. Never ridden in anger but it felt nice.

Have you considered after sales support on your options?

weeksy

Have you considered after sales support on your options?

No, not really, its a 2nd hand bike, chance you take.

beagle
    Free Member

It would cross my mind. You know if something did go wrong, some of those brands may tell you to whistle, some may be proactive in helping you out, however big/small, despite not being the original owner.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and found a large 5 spot a little on the small side.

weeksy

So its getting to the stage where its the Knolly or the cash really. Still waiting to hear from Knolly guy but not expecting him till later.

tor5
    Free Member

Pull the trigger on the Knolly. I have a chilcotin and it’s amazing. I hear the Endo rides very similarly.

If I had to describe the ride, you know how it feels when you really nail a section of trail? You get to the end with a huge grin on your face, giggling and probably looking back up to see if your mates are having as much fun (they won’t be)? Well the Knolly does that then begs “Let’s go back and do it again. But faster.” It’s ace

weeksy

I can’t ‘pull the trigger’ he’s a random eBay guy who’s getting back to me tonight in theory. I don’t have any other contact info for him.

honourablegeorge

Sold a 2010 Spicy this year, sad to part with it, was/is a great bike. Well made too – they did have cracking issues before then, and carbon issues after, but the bike I had was brilliantly put together, cabling and the like was really well thought out, and the bearings were still in decent nick when I opened them up prior to sale. Climbs well for a 160 bike sizing is good, suspension is plush.

I do like the Knolly though. Chilcotin was on the list.

rsvktm

Are you sure that the Knolly is the 2nd gen as they are very very different, I have got a first gen endo that cracked in the swing arm as a lot have. Knolly were awesome as it was out of warranty, took awhile due to manufacturing issues but ended up with a chilcotin at accident damage rates. Would have had an endo but weren’t out at that time, mates just in the process of building a new endo now so not ridden one as yet but the crazy seat angle has gone which was an issue for me at 6′ 2 on a large. Meant I was well over the back wheel. Wouldn’t hesitate recommending a knolly in any flavour, fantastic grip climbing, very stiff and a machine down hill. Have owned Horst link 5 spot and ridden various other 5’s and is a very different bike, not worse just different.

rickon
    Free Member

The best suspension design is on the 5 spot
    Bold statement there.

I’ve ridden and owned both DW bikes and Lapierre OST ones, and much prefer the Lapierres. It’s a subjective thing of course.

Same here, and I prefer the DW link. I’ve had a DW Ibis Mojo too, and the implementation isn’t as good as Turner’s. But like you said, its subjective.

Being objective, the DW link is licenced to quite a few top end manufacturers, while the OST is not.

😉

mildred

Medium well to small for you mate!!

This.

I’m 5’11” and the large was the best fitting bike I’ve ever had (2010 model). They have tons of standover and the frames can be had for a song. Also worth considering that Turner have a brilliant reputation for after sales support and the warranty is transferable unlike the other brands.

I wouldn’t say the DW link is the best suspension though. I couldn’t get on with it and never achieved full travel. That said, it was remarkable how quick it was – every pedal stroke seemed to make it surge forward and I found I was generally pushing a higher gear everywhere. They are great bikes and I was saddened that I couldn’t get the back end working the way I wanted.

rickon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say the DW link is the best suspension though. I couldn’t get on with it and never achieved full travel

That’s the opposite that everyone complains about on the DW spot. Generally they blow through their travel too fast, so need a volume reducer to ramp up the spring rate at the end of the stroke.

If you never got full travel, you needed less pressure, or damping. Definitely not a well known, or noted complaint of the DW link turners.

The Turner DW link bikes need a very low compression tune, which they have from the factory, but if some numpty replaces the shock with something they think is ‘better’ that doesn’t have a low\low tune, it’ll ride harsh.

I’ll stop banging the Turner drum now. Its obvious I like them. I’ve had over 20 bikes in the last 5 years, and the only suspension system I liked as much was the Maestro, which is a short link DW copy.

As above too, medium will be waaay too short for you. Large or even Xl for you.

mildred

Mine was the shock from the factory, which was actually light compression medium rebound. It was setup correctly for my weight and it just didn’t feel right; I played around running more/less pressure but no avail, it just never got full travel in any situation. I don’t mince around either and purposefully started looking for hard hits to see if I could get it into the last bit if travel. I’ve been used to Horst link Nicolais for some time and Single pivot oranges before that so maybe it’s just me that didn’t like it.

weeksy

Thanks guys,

We’ve struck a deal and on Saturday i’ll be collecting this. Although it means I need an hour with the spray polish on mine… I never knew a used bike could be so clean !
    b

Knolly Endorphin size large

Fox Vanilla R 140mm forks, recently serviced with new seals, no marks on stanchions, very minor on lower legs

Truvativ bars 720mm, truvativ stem 50mm

Hope mono mini brakeset

Hope headset

Hope seatpost clamp quick release

Sram x9 shifters, running 2×9 speed

XT front mech

Sram X9 rear mech

Mavic X719 rims on Hadley USA hubs probably better than Chris King and cost me £550 for the hubs alone

Fox float RP23 with boost valve

Race face evolve XC crankset-with Hope bashguard, NO PEDALS supplied

Schwalbe Racing Ralph evo snakeskin F&R tyres

renton
    Free Member

That actually looks really nice weeksy!!

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s the older model. Around a 2009 I think. Great bike, enjoy!
    Let us know what you think of it yeah?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’re mad if you’re swapping your Salsa (just had a look, pretty smart!) for that.

There must be something better out there, or split it and sell then spend the money on a bike that’s actually decent.

The forks are fairly whack, as are the brakes, and those wheels – ARGH! Why would you ever want them when you could get Hope hubs on Flows! Then the fact it’s got 9 speed and cheap finishing kit.

singlecrack
    Free Member

You’re mad if you’re swapping your Salsa

^^^^^^this

jk1980
    Free Member

Yep as mentioned that’s the older model, think they also get good reviews though

mildred

singlecrack – Member
    You’re mad if you’re swapping your Salsa
    ^^^^^^this

Which goes to prove that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; neither are my cup of tea but I’ve got to say that Salsa looks like an end if season sale throw together. I know there’s some good kit in there but brown saddle with blue forks on an orange bike with red bits…. Pass the eye bleech..!

tymbian
    Free Member

What does the Knolly weigh?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yeah goodd piont about the forks….I’d spray them or swap them out

crush83
    Free Member

Knolly for me! I am just waiting on the 2014 650B knolly warden in March

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘5-spot, Knolly Endorphin or Spicy 318 for AM duties’ is closed to new replies.