Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • 5-spot, Knolly Endorphin or Spicy 318 for AM duties
  • weeksy

Had my bike up on STW, BR and Ebay for swapping purposes, amongst the options for swap are:

Turner 5 spot, 2010 with 150mm Revs, XT kit etc. Hope pro2/mavics,

Knolly Endorphin AM, seems to be a standard out of the dealer build.

Spicy 316 2010 model with 2010 Lyrics, XT stuff, Hope/Mavics,

Now, we can sit here and debate the need for me to have an AM bike, but that’s not my discussion, i’ve already decided that part… it’s just the ‘which’ out of them 3.

None of the other offers were suitable… but these 3 all intrigue me lots…

However, having not ridden any of the 3 i’m sort of torn as to which would be the best bike for me. All of them have their merits and their pluses.

So.. over to the STW masses.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve ridden them all (and owned two).
    Firstly, I wouldn’t touch a 2010 5 spot (funky geo). The 2011 is a very efficient climber and a composed if not exactly thrilling descender. Brilliant thing to own and the customer support is unequalled.
    The knolly is a lunatic downhill and has great traction going up but is not highly efficient so you’ll need a lot of propedal to counteract bob. What year are you being offered? The major problem is due to the seatpost angle; correct fit is essential or you’ll find yourself way too far behind the bb and struggle to get the power down. Nothing I’ve ridden since has been such a scream pointing down though.
    Limited time on the lappy, but it felt good in all situations if a bit “lightweight” My major concern is that lappy will not sell you a replacement rear or front if you break it unless you are the original owner. Personally, I’d not touch a used one because of this.
    In your boots, I’d out for a covert. Ace bikes.

weeksy

The Knolly is large, as is my Spearfish. Year i’m unsure, I thinkm a 2012/13

I’m 6’0.

The Spicy is something I could risk on the warranty aspect, chganceyou take sometimes.

The Knolly is topping the list, I don’t mind a bit of work n way up, if its too bad for XC then I’ll buy a 29er HT to run along side it.

danti

Why not that Rocket on the Classifieds?, climbs surprisingly well, better than my old HL 5 Spot and is a superb descending bike.

weeksy

He’s not offered it to me in a swap matey.

wrecker
    Free Member

If it’s a 12/13; I’d go for the knolly. Bit of a no-brainier IMHO.

renton
    Free Member

Wrecker you are talking out of your arse saying the 2010 5 spot has funky geometry!!!!

Just because it has a slightly steeper head angle than what is currently in fashion!!!

Fwiw weeksy you can’t go wrong with a 5 spot mate. Would be ideal for you and they are so versatile!!

weeksy

I’m liking the Knolly i must admit. He’s a bit of a drive away though in Yorkshire, but not completely ridiculous to meet him.

I’ve also got a good cash offer, so looking round and weighing up options etc before throwing myself head first into a deal.

It’s very difficult as all 4 options now really appeal lots LOL.

I need to confirm the details on the Knolly, but the guy was on his iphone so the information was a little vague.

I’ll go have a little sleep on it and see how it all looks in the morning 🙂

Thanks lads, lets try not to kill one another before then… but by all means, keep the information for good or bad coming.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Wrecker you are talking out of your arse saying the 2010 5 spot has funky geometry!!!!

Just because it has a slightly steeper head angle than what is currently in fashion!!!

Fwiw weeksy you can’t go wrong with a 5 spot mate. Would be ideal for you and they are so versatile!!

This.

ndg
    Free Member

You’ll be okay with a large Endorphin at 6′, just use a shortish (60mm) stem.

wrecker
    Free Member

Whatever. The differences are well documented and were made for a very good reason. 2011s are far more desirable. Oh, and the knolly is a better bike than the ’10 5 spot. End of.

renton
    Free Member

Have you rode a 2010 five spot mate??

wrecker
    Free Member

RTFP. I have owned a 2011 5 spot. Have you ever owned a knolly, mate?

renton
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the knolly.

I see a lot of people slating the 2009 and 2010 5 spots saying they had rubbish geometry. Dave Turner said himself somewhere that he only changed it due to the bigger headtube etc. Said people are normally riders of the later models who have jumped on the bandwagon.

I actually owned a 2009 and 2010 five spot and also a lot if other bikes and none of the other bikes I’ve ridden hold a candle to the 2010 5 spot!

wrecker
    Free Member

I never said rubbish. I said funky, and by funky I meant different. Certainly if you’re used to the geo of most modern trail bikes. I’ve not heard many say they prefer the ’10 to the ’11. Of course they’re good bikes; they’re turners FFS. Do not underestimate the knollys, they are bloody brilliant fun.

weeksy

Well apart from some questions on spares i have also advertised and a mail from what seems to be a scammer, the night didn’t really bring anything on the debate.

To an extent i’m still all up in the air really. The list of ‘want’ out of the 3 swap options changes by the minute.

The only other ‘trail’ bikes of slightly similar riding style i’ve owned are a 2010 Meta 55 and a Bionicon Supershuttle, so i’m not convinced i’ll really notice even if the 5 Spot is ‘different’. Considering all i’ve ridden is XC bikes lately, i’m expecting a pretty large transition period anyway, plenty of ‘getting used to’ time.

I’m trying to keep the financial aspect out of the decisions, but i’m guessing the Turner looking at Ebay completed listings is arguably the cheapest of the 3 alternatives above, however that’s not really putting me off the bike in any way, just waiting for an updated photo on the Turner.

The Spicy is an STWers, but looking at his recent posts, i rekon he’s waiting on a swap for a Zesty before making his final decision on the Spearfish.

I’ve promised the cash buyer an answer by bed-time tonight LOL. If i sell for cash, then winning the battle of ebay/listings is either an Canyon Nerve AM or i could even throw £600 at the bike and get a new Commencal AM29.

renton
    Free Member

I used to have a zesty mate and found it rode very “light” if that makes sense?? I always felt like it was going to snap as it felt quite flexy.

I wouldn’t touch a used commencal with a barge pole.

Seriously consider a five spot. I know people that run them as xc rigs with 140mm Forks to other lads that Wang them down some serious trails in Cyprus with 170mm forks on the front.

I’ve never ridden a knolly so can’t comment on that but looking at pics of it that rear shock linkage looks a bit flexy!!

If you are looking at adding money to it now I would have a look at the New canyon strive!

renton
    Free Member

What size is the Turner btw as I had a large and found it to small!

weeksy

I’ve ridden the Zesty and felt the same.. but we’re talking about a Spicy… I’ve not ridden one of them, but like the idea of one.. the warranty does put me off them slightly.

The Commencal, well the cracking issues is why I sold mine, by first 2 frames cracked.

The knolly does look VERY focused, more than anything I’ve ever seen, the seat looks about a MILE back over the rear wheel in pics.

Adding money isn’t my preference, but is always an option (within limits of course)

You wouldn’t think making a decision would be so bloody tough… but I must admit the Spearfish is making things VERY hard… Because it’s the perfect bike for what I do and what/where I ride… However, my goal for next year is to make what/where a bit/lot more AM than now.. but I have a few doubts as to whether that will actually come off and i’ll end up with a bike that’s WAY overkill for West Berks XC riding LOL. Add to the fact I’ve got the Spearfish running and setup perfectly…. But in my hands at Llandegla it was … well, OK… it was fine… but I couldn’t help thinking that something a bit more focused would give me more fun.

weeksy

renton – Member

What size is the Turner btw as I had a large and found it to small

Funny you ask.. I dunno actually, just mailed him asking that question as all the info/pics he sent etc, the one thing left out was the sizing. My Meta55 was a large and felt massive… my Bionicon was a M and felt small. The Spearfish is a L and feels spot on sizing wise.

chakaping
    Free Member

If the Spicy is the right size I’d be leaning toward that. They pedal very well for their weight and I have almost got one myself a couple of times.

I think the thing about frame parts for secondhand owners was shown to be inconsistent.

But whether Hotlines keep 2010 frame parts in stock still is another issue.

renton
    Free Member

I normally ride a large in most things specialized (enduro, pitch and stumpy) I had a large zesty and a large BFe.

I bought a 2009 large 5 spot and it was to small even with a 110mm stem. Had to get and xl in the end!

pegglet
    Free Member

Knolly,Knolly,Knolly..i never had a bike longer than a year until i got a Knolly.i,v now had it for 4 years.never had to change pivot bearings and i run my bikes on neglect. just in the process of getting a Chilcotin to go with the delerium. knolly recomend the air CCDB. the delerium weighs 38lb and as long as i,m feeling strong you can sprint in or out of saddle no probs,no bobs….now check all reviews of knollys then check the rest……also you never see a cracked knolly do you?

wrecker
    Free Member

If you’re more at the XC end of the AM spectrum, the turner may be the ticket. The knolly and spicy are/feel more DH focused. I found the 5 spot short, even shorter than the SC I’m now on. The build quality and attention to detail on the knolly is amazing, but as you have correctly noticed due to the STA, sizing is very important and it’s not the most efficient on fire road climbs (where the turner excels).
    I suppose the knolly is like a crazy uncle, and the turner more like a sensible dad.

tor5
    Free Member

what pegglet said, +1 for the Knolly

If it’s the out of the dealer build that is a pretty pimp spec – Kashima fork, possibly a CCDB and carbon cranks?

I think it’s about time this thread had pictures….

weeksy

A Knolly Endorphin, bloke is travelling today so not his actual bike

The 5 spot (slightly diffrrernt spec to this pic)

The Spicy

jk1980
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the others, but I’ve just bought a 2013 Knolly endorphin and I’d say it would fit the bill for you.

A few people seem to say the rear end looks flexy, in fact its one of the stiffest bikes I’ve ridden. For DH duties, the knolly feels almost as good as my DH bike. Of course, its only 140mm, so it has its limits, but it feels like its got more than 140mm. The reason I bought it is because there are several comments/reviews (e.g. mtbr) saying its one of the best descending trail bikes you can get. I’m only a few rides in, but I’d agree with that, its blown away my expectations for a bike with so little travel.

Yes the seat angle is a bit slack, but TBH its so light I’ve really not found it to be an issue – I’m able to get up climbs perfectly quick enough.

weeksy

p.s. I am taking all this on board lads, so don’t think i’m ignoring your words.

However, all the swapees seem to be busy today LOL, so I’ve got nothing to update you with really.

I’m enjoying it though, it’s like Xmas not knowing what you’ll be getting

renton
    Free Member

My 5 spot mate!!

fathomer

I’ve not ridden any of the bikes in question so little help there.

However, I was under the impression that the Zesty & Spicy shared the same frame, with different shocks etc. to change the travel. So if you thought the Zesty was flexy you may find the Spicy the same. But don’t take my word for it.

And if you where picking on looks alone, the Knolly looks great.

weeksy

At the moment i’m picking on “Whoever comes back to me”…

after about a million emails from various people yesterday, they all seem to have lost the ability to mail LOL.

I’m sitting here with a mondeo full of diesel just waiting for one of them to say “OK, lets do it…” I’ll then load up and drive…

Time will tell hahaha

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a Knolly and a Turner……….for me the Knolly was much more fun …dh biased possibly …turner more cx biased …..can’t comment on the lapierre …apart from its French

rickon
    Free Member

turner more cx biased

I wouldn’t want to do a cyclocross race on one 😉

The best suspension design is on the 5 spot, if you get an XL you will have a large head tube, so may feel a bit tall.

I’ve had a 2010 Flux and 2011 spot, and a 2011 Zesty. All very capable, the Spot has been a shining star for me.

frogrocket
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Zesty and Spicy (Zesty is going to my Dad). They aren’t the same frame and feel pretty different. As noted above the Zesty does feel pretty flexy in comparison to a 160mm ‘AM’ bike like the Spicy.

Love the Spicy myself, never ridden the others but they look ace too. I have a medium and am 6ft. Fits perfect with 60m stem, reverb, 711 bars. Gave it a good thrashing in Les Arcs and this year and it never felt out of it’s depth (I did though!) and it rides well uphill. Not as well as the Zesty, but that’s the trade off, right? Great bike.

weeksy

The Turner is apparently a Medium. I’m right on 6’0. Any thoughts appreciated.

razorrazoo

I’m 5’10 on a medium 5Spot, I like a smaller bike but wouldn’t want any smaller than it is now, especially running a 50mm stem (which you’re going to do on an AM build). I think a large would be more suitable for a 5Spot with your height (that aside I would thoroughly recommend a 5Spot as an all rounder).

renton
    Free Member

Medium well to small for you mate!!

Large if you like them clickable or xl if you like to be able to ride a bike all day!

mark d
    Free Member

I had a medium Horst link 5 spot, at 5′ 7″ on tip toes I found it perfect, might be a bit small for you, Turner has size guidelines on the website.

chakaping
    Free Member

The best suspension design is on the 5 spot

Bold statement there.

I’ve ridden and owned both DW bikes and Lapierre OST ones, and much prefer the Lapierres. It’s a subjective thing of course.

JCL
    Free Member

I would have the Spicy. Hydro formed tubeset, best geo, no crappy bushings, Nico did the R&D blah blah…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘5-spot, Knolly Endorphin or Spicy 318 for AM duties’ is closed to new replies.