Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 5-spot Horst Link – new build – polishing a turd, or worth it?
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

have just picked up a 2004 HL 5-spot frame via the classifieds (well i hope it turns up, as i haven’t received it yet! lol).

i wanted to build a full suss bike for the wife as she currently has a hardtail Giant Talon.

my original plan was to pick up a set of 130mm travel forks out of the classifieds and then move all the bits across from the Giant (which is decked out with a combo of old Deore XT, new Deore, Avid Juicy 5’s, XC717/XT wheels, FSA carbon bars and seatpin, etc etc).

my additional expenditure in this instance would be just for the forks and a new headset. i have all the original parts for the Talon to put back on, so I could sell the Talon in standard form for circa £250. if i did this, the project would cost me £200 all in.

HOWEVER…. i do like to get a bit carried away.

rather than spend £200 all in, i’m rather tempted to do the following:-

* 2013 SLX 2×10 groupset
    * Formula RX discs
    * 2013 Revelation RLT 15mm forks
    * Merlin special Stans Olmpyic / XT (15mm) wheel build (okay, i know the so-called ‘XT’ hubs are pants, but the wheelbuild should be nice and light especially as i will set it up tubeless)
    * carbon bars and seatpin over from the Talon
    * lightweight Selle Italia ladies saddle

This is going to cost me about £900.00 all in, once the Talon is sold (which should fetch circa £280 with the higher spec I will leave on it).

£900 plus £250 almost buys me a brand new Canyon Nerve 7.0W (women’s specific) with mostly XT and nice Fox forks.

hmmm…. Is the Horst 5-spot really THAT much of an all-time classic that it is worth going to town on it?

thoughts…

mt
    Free Member

Great classic frame. It’s worth getting out there and enjoying.

lowey

Rue the day I sold mine. Lovely lovely bike. Rode just as well (whipser it) if not better than the DW spot that replaced it.

shortcut

Not a turd. Lovely bikes.

MartynS

My 5spot is a 2004….

It is still as brilliant as the day I got it..
    What rear shock does it have??

theblackmount
    Free Member

>£900 plus £250 almost buys me a brand new Canyon Nerve 7.0W (women’s specific) with mostly XT and nice Fox forks.<

……and a warranty

penac

still riding my brought new 2004 HL spot, can’t thing of anything I would replace it with.

campfreddie
    Free Member

the shock is a rp23 boost valve… i’m pretty sure the frame is 2004 as the rocker arms are milled with a black/silver finish, whereas the 2005 is simple black.

as for warranty… all the new componentry would be warranted, but the frame not… on the plus side, i can fiddle about to my heart’s content with the spec without worrying about the warranty being voided on a new bike.

pitduck
    Free Member

a turd?you need help my friend 😯

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Sell the Talon, buy the Canyon, strip the canyon for parts and sell the canyon frame for £400 ish. How would this work out?

MartynS

I think if its a 2004 the cable stop for the front mech is on the rear of the seat stay. I’d wondered about new (longer travel) rockers for mine. Because of the cable stop I couldn’t.. however with hindsite i don’t need more travel on it.

The rp23 shock is a good one, I’ve a fox Vanilla on mine, with fox floats on the front

If shes never ridden a full sus before she’ll find it quite active! once you’ve set up the shocks it will be ace. I’d squirt some grease into the pivots and go riding…

Do it…! Pictures of the build when finished please

xiphon
    Free Member

If you feel the frame fits well, and is the right bike for you, why not splash some cash on it?

I treated my ancient Patriot to a new shock, powder coat, bearings and stickers. Looks as good as new, despite being 12 years old.

campfreddie
    Free Member

yup… 2004 frame from the look of the photos.

the only thing that is pushing me towards fitting new kit, is to make it as light as possible for the missus (so she can keep up with me on my yeti asr). it annoys me that most women’s bikes are like tanks.

i guess it will all hinge around the forks… if i spend £300, i can get new rockshox revs and reduce them down to 130mm travel. if i spend £250 i can get rockshox sector solo airs. i could save further weight for going qr rather than 15mm maxle (it’s not like she’s going to ride hard)…

or, i could hold out for some 2nd hand revs or fox’s on here… there are a couple of set of dt swiss xcm130’s going on fleabay, but i’m not sure what it is like getting spares for those now?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘5-spot Horst Link – new build – polishing a turd, or worth it?’ is closed to new replies.