Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 5 Spot DW v. Intense Tracer?
  • yoshimi

Please advise with pics if possible – also best place to demo both in North West?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Turner just cos it wont crack, its built straight and if anything does go wrong then you've got a good warrenty to back it up with.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You need to try them.

I've not ridden a DW bike, but I've recently bought a VPP one – behaviour in the granny ring is less than perfect compared to my old horst link Turner. (but pedals way crisper in the middle, and eats rocks awesomely well.)

Having had experience of Turner CS, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (stunningly efficient), but they don't currently make the bike I want.

convert

Could you point me to an article that explains why suspension might feel different in different chainrings – can't work it out personally.

Sorry OP – can't help. Have a DW 5spot, which I like, but no experience of the Tracer so of very little help to you.

kamina
    Free Member

What size? I had a large Tracer and the geo was pretty badly off. Measured a medium and it was fine…

Dino
    Free Member

dustytrails

Had a 5.5evp then a "faux bar" 5 spot which imho was a better ride but unfortunately got nicked so now have a DW spot which again imho is better riding than both!! I don't ride a great deal in the granny gear, not because i'm superhuman but because there aren't hill round here steep enough. When i have used the granny i've not found it any worse than any other bike. & as david says they're built straight which is more than can be said for the 5.5 evp!!!

Dino
    Free Member

convert

Dino, I suspect he knows what one looks like – google is nice like that. What does it ride like 😉

anc
    Free Member

Turner just cos it wont crack, its built straight and if anything does go wrong then you've got a good warrenty to back it up with.

Quite a lot of the 2009's DW Turners have cracked! Search this forum or mtbr. That said the CS is brilliant and the problem the 2009's had has been sorted on the 2010's……..Hopefully :mrgreen:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What does it ride like

Probably terribly, he hasnt even bothered to put any wheels on it.

I rekcon he just takes it along to trail centres as it is (with the matching blue rug) and sits on it whilst drinking coffee in the cafe, pretending to be an mtber.

stanley

Got a DW-Spot here.
    Love it ! I'm sort of North West and would be happy for you to try it for size if that helps, but not a test ride !! (large btw)

Bought a 2009 model. It had a small problem. Turner sorted it out very quickly.. I now have the latest 2010/11 model 🙂
    Beautifully built, climbs and descends so well, pro-pedal not needed; it hardly bobs at all in any gear when sat down, even when thrashing at the pedals !

Would buy another (if needed) without hesitation.

duir
    Free Member

Have a serious think about the Mythic Spitfire. Freeborn are doing them at around £1100 including headset.

Clong
    Free Member

I demo'ed a Tracer and it felt "right", bought one there and then. It's built on the heavy side, but its un-flappable in all the riding conditions ive been in. There are times when ive ridden a trail, the trail faires have built a new drop off/ramp/berm, gone in too fast for my skills and the bike just rides it. I rarely want to ride anything else. My only gripe would be the bearings, the grease nipples didn't work that well so the bearings didn't last too long @ 12 months. Since replaced with sealed versions which should last longer.

higgo
    Free Member

Could you point me to an article that explains why suspension might feel different in different chainrings – can't work it out personally.

Not an article but my Blur 4X does the funny pedalling feely thing in granny. It's not hideous, just odd. In fact I notice it then instantly forget about it as I concentrate on grinding up the horrid hill in front of me.

anc
    Free Member

Pedal feedback
    Pedal feedback describes torque applied to the crankset by the chain caused by motion of the rear axle relative to the bottom bracket.[14] This can sometimes be felt by the cyclists and can be considered undesirable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension

convert

I know what pedal feedback is and am aware of the different suspension systems and their relative merits. What I have not got my head around yet (and that article does not attempt to explain) is the often stated opinion that certain suspension designs can behave well in the middle chainring but poorly in the little ring. Maybe "little" ring is a euphemism for the sort of velocity, cadence and crank torque experienced in the sort of riding you might use the little ring in, rather than the simple use of the small ring per se. Maybe it's a frequency resonance response – I don't know – that's why I asked…..

anc
    Free Member

Isn't it just its a lot more noticeable in the little ring because of the gear ratio.

convert

It could be although still hazy as to why the gear ratio should make a difference or is this just shorthand for cadence? 80rpm cadence in a high gear on the flat putting out say 300Watts vs 80rpm cadence in a low ratio gear on a hill putting out the same 300Watts. Why would the suspension respond differently?

anc
    Free Member

Chain growth and pedal-kickback – as bikes utilize chains in their drive train, and it is in connection with the engine (the rider), any changes regarding to the chain feeds back to the rider. Compressing the suspension usually causes the wheel to get farther from the bottom bracket, thus the chain is required to “get longer”. This is caused by the geometry of the suspension linkage, and taken up by some chain-tensioning device (or the rear derailleur). Since most bike have a rear hub with a clutch mechanism, which not allows for free forward rotation, the chain lengthening will cause the hub to turn forward (if it can). So the chain length change can be balanced either by wheel rotation forwards, or the cranks turning backwards or the suspension not moving. In real life, if a rider rides over a bump and the suspension is compressing, he might feel his pedals turning backwards to some extents. Or if he’s strong enough to withstand this, either the wheel will have an “extra” rotation forwards or the suspension will not compress that much, as it would without the chain (or drive train). All of these effects work at the same time in different amounts, degrading suspension performance and rider comfort.

Wheel rotation caused by suspension compression – there is another effect affecting wheel rotation besides chain lengthening. For most designs, suspension compression also makes the wheel contact point with the ground getting more rearwards from the main frame, thus if the wheel is not sliding, the rear wheel will turn backwards. Also, as the suspension is compressed and the wheel's ground contact point remains the same (imagine a stationery position), it is turning backwards compared to the main frame. These wheel rotations cause pedal-kickback by the clutch mechanism and the tensioned chain – at the ratio of the rear and front cogwheels. Thus you will feel less pedal-kickback in larger gears.

You can check these previous effects (chain growth, pedal kickback, wheel backwards rotation) on your bike as well. Just pull the front brake and compress the rear of your bike. The wheel and the cranks will turn backwards. Of course, this also happens when you ride over bumps, just you can't separate this feeling this sharply from other effects.

The pedal-kickback values are shown positive counter-clockwise, since this what you really feel as "kickback". Wheel rotation values are shown positive clockwise, thus a positive value means "forward" rotation.

As an example (using Linkage and a model for a 2005 Intense 6.6), the chain growth when both front and rear suspension are compressed 100mm is roughly 13mm, this translates in a pedal rotation of 13.7 degrees in 32/32, 19.8 degrees in 26/32, 25.7 degrees in 22/32.

found this on mtbr

Fluff66
    Free Member

It's about where the "pull" action (that the chain causes to the rear of the bike) occurs in relation to the pivot. The "pull" comes from where the chain is feeding onto the chain ring at the front and exerts its effect on the top of the sprocket that the chain is sat on at the rear.

Easiest to visualise with a single pivot: If the bike is a single pivot and the pivot is at the same height above the crank centre as the the edge of the middle ring, then you've minimised the extent to which the chain can pull the rear wheel (via the cassette) up or down (whilst you are in middle ring). ie the pivot is "in line" with the horizontal force applied along the chain and can't act to shorten the drivetrain.

In the above example, when you shift to granny ring, this is no longer the case, so the pull on the chain (as you power down), pulls the rear of the bike towards the front. When this happens with each pedal stroke, it causes rear of bike to bob

The effect still happens in 4 bars altho the suspension design is supposed to counter it, by creating a virtual pivot that is placed to minimise the effect. In a single pivot, the effect is countered/minimised by well thought out pivot placement and a platform shock.

Dunno if that makes any sense. Sure there are people out there who can explain it better than me 🙂

convert

Thanks – quite a bit there to get you head around! Still no answer to the better in different chainrings bit though, unless its something to do with the amount of chain growth being different (or a different proportion of the total) in different gears.

convert

Ahh – thanks fluff, that's beginning to make sense! I've learnt something today – I think!

molgrips
    Free Member

With some bikes, the pivot is next to the middle ring. So in the little ring, the chain is below the pivot and the tension in the chain tends to pull the wheel downwards ie extend the suspension. Because this force is acting WITH the pressure of the shock, this makes your suspension stiffer. In the big ring, the opposite happens and yor suspension becomes more plush because chain tension is acting against the shock pressure. In the middle ring, it basically cancels out.

A subtle effect, but it's there.

lowey

Work doing well Danny ?

Wots up with the yeti ?

khani
    Free Member

not tried either of these ride wise but i'v had experiance in buying an intense and turner front triangles on their crash replacement scheme, a spyder and an older hl,5spot, (both in 09 though)
    intense quoted £800 without bearings or anything and an 8 week delivery time,
    turner were £350 posted with spare decals, choice of headbadge, colour, and a full bushing kit, deliverd from the usa 6 days, they even posted it out before the cheque had arrived (i have no credit card),
    make of that what you will

backhander
    Free Member

davidtaylforth I reckon you treat this forum as a vent to say things to people that you wouldn't dare to in real life.

Vortexracing

Gee76 off here (Grant) has a tracer and has test ridden a Sultan (DW Link)

Might be worthwhile contacting him to see what he thought, if you mail me i'll give you his number.

or his e mail is in his profile.

he tried both at Wheelbase BTW.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

davidtaylforth I reckon you treat this forum as a vent to say things to people that you wouldn't dare to in real life.

What are you implying? I thought that was the whole point of internet forums?

backhander
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Hadge
    Free Member

Still waiting for my demo ride on a DW link Turner but having owned the older 5 Spot and having a 5.5 Intense I know which rode the best, felt the best and was easier to look after long-term – the Turner. Hopefully Intense use better bearings as the older 5.5 needed constant manintenance on it's bearings and when they went dry (as it came to me when I bought it too) the VPP doesn't work properly at all. Where as the Turner laughs at our weather and just kept going on regardless. All the top bikes are excellent, have long term ridden the Ibis Mojo SL and there isn't a lot to choose between them which is why I believe you must try them both before choosing which one to have. Happy hunting.

kamina
    Free Member

I believe Intense uses better bearings now. The first tracers had a problem with rear triangles cracking, the current lot have a burlier rear triangle which should sort it out.

Regarding my problem with the frames geo, Intense where very friendly about it. They replaced the Tracer with an Uzzi and promised a free upgrade to a more expensive shock. It took one month for the original answer (directly the offer for replacement) and another 5 months before I had the frame (which arrived without the shock upgrade and with the wrong stickers).

I already expected things to be pretty slow as I had quite questionable experiences with their customer service before my original purchase (emails on their website where bouncing due to be full, sales being one). When I had the problem some other email was also bouncing due to being full…

They have been reworking their customer service and logistics, and also quality control, so I expect they'll get their shit together sooner or later. And over 50 emails later they where all friendly and in good spirit. It's possible things would have been faster if my existing frame was unridable, but they immediately agreed to cross shipping and knew I could ride the old frame.

Anyway, I've just heard good things of the Turner, and believe customer service is very important if things happen to go wrong.

dans160
    Free Member

I've had two tracers. The first needed a warranty issue which was dealt with by the importers/distributers pretty quickly. The second was fine and rode brilliantly and handled everything I threw at it. Great bike!

I've now got a gen 1 SlopeStyle which is just fantastic. The bearings are good provided you look after them.

My tracers were both large and the geo was spot on there was also no issue in using the granny ring. You also get more travel if you think that is important.

Not a bad choice to have to make although I'd wait and see if Lapierre do the honest and decent thing and sell either the 2011 Zesty or Spicy as frameset.

yoshimi

Cheers for the responses guys – Turners CS seems to come out on top:) I've always wanted a 5 spot but before splashing the cash I thought its worth comparing it against the tracer (which I also like the look of).

Vortex – I've just arranged a back to back demo at Wheelbase for next sunday on both the 5 spot and tracer, thanks for the heads up:)

Dave – it was after having a five minute go on your 5 spot at lee quarry that made me realize I wanted a decent FS – if I had the money at the time I would have gone for the Spot. The Yeti is a great bike but always really wanted the spot……plus, work is going well and money has just been put back up 😆

SigmaF
    Free Member

A vote for the 5 Spot here…..although, on paper it shouldn't be the case!!

I've never really been a fan based on the aesthetics alone, nevermind the geometry etc…

However, that all changed last week when we had one in on demo…..bit of a revelation….

Okay, so the HA is still too steep for a 140mm trail bike…..but, with a set of 150mm Revs on the bike just works….I was a fan of the DW design anyways, so no real epiphany there….but, as a complete package the bike really is that good….

We sold two full builds off the back of the demo last week (over an Orange 5 and Zesty…quite rightly so…where's the fun in riding a Zesty!!)…..and I've just ordered one in as a shop demo/personal bike (medium and available on demo from next Monday!!)….

Ride one – they sit well in the travel, are nimble, have a shortish cs and are perhaps the ideal peaks trail bike…..

Unless of course you like your bikes @ 120mm…….then, the 2011 Mondraker Factor needs a look!

Keith's done a great job with the Spitfire too…….we'll have one of those on demo too as soon as we can get one!!

Scott

thebiketree.co.uk

lowey

Funny really Danny that if / when I have to replace my spot, I'd be looking at these two also. I havent tried the Intense, but it is just a gorgeous bike. I'd also consider a Nicoli.

I still think I'd get the Turner though. Mine has never put a foot wrong, and when I needed a bit of advise on setting up a new shock, Mr. Turner himself sent me an email helping me out!

kamina
    Free Member

I have a lot of friends with Nicolai's, they are really great rides.

Matt-P
    Free Member

Got a Tracer myself, a lovely ride when you get it sorted but for me a real problem child. Frame design sucks (not performance, but the design) – pivot bolts prevented standard Shimano XT cranks from rotating (newer versions are now flush fitted bolts) – 6 weeks for warranty replacements, Atlas cranks won't work at all as bind on frame, rear triangle impacts on a XT mech unless you mod it, rear triangle cracked and took over 12 weeks for replacement, but worse of the lot, the RP23 sucks if you're over about 12 stone. Blows through all travel riding off a kerb unless you set silly small amounts of sag. After playing around with Pushing took a replacement with a Manitou ISX 6 before the frame would perform.

Think carefully about the Tracer, test ride one, have a look at the Intense threads on MTBR, then make your mind up. Love the way mine rides now but given the chance again I wouldn't have choosen one.

Gary_C

Slight hi-jack…what's the reported problems with the '09 5-Spots?

I've got one you see….

dans160
    Free Member

Don't agree about the cranks at all. Plenty of pictures here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=484045 of Tracers with XT/RaceFace/XTR/Truvativ etc. all fitted fine. Agree about the RP23 and there have been some issues with cracks but new ones have an improved design. CS appears to be improving. As said my issue was resolved pretty quickly by the importers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘5 Spot DW v. Intense Tracer?’ is closed to new replies.