Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 5 speed chain, will a 9 speed KMC missing link work?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Just picked up a new 20″ Ridgeback bike for my nephew which someone was very generously giving away
    It was a bit scruffy so I’ve stripped it all down, cleaned it all up and rebuilt it
    But I now need to rejoin the chain that I split without considering how I would put it back together
    I have a few 9 speed KMC missing links lying around somewhere I’m now unlikely to use, before I turn the tip of a garage upside down trying to find them can anyone advise if it will work on a 5 speed chain

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Too narrow I’d imagine. More likely to be 7/8-speed. You may be able to just rejoin the chain by pushing the pin back into the plate.

tonyg2003

I agree with Three Fish – just rejoin in the old fashioned way with the chains own links

timba
    Free Member

It depends on the chain fitted, the last time I used 5s was about 30 years ago, so I might be very out of date here 🙂
    Have a look for the make/model number and google, you can get a 5s Missing Link (link) ,not all 5s chains are suitable for re-using a pin

drovercycles
    Free Member

5,6,7,8-speed all the same width, 9-speed is narrower so the link won’t work (properly, possibly at all).

You’ll need an 8-speed link, or to rejoin the chain by pushing a pin back through, as above.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘5 speed chain, will a 9 speed KMC missing link work?’ is closed to new replies.