Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 5 Speed Cassette
  • honourablegeorge

Hi…. doing a favour for a friend, he has an oldish Raleigh mountain bike he hasn’t used for ages (Raleigh Max), is thinking of commuting on it, I said I’d fix it up for him as he’s done me a few favours lately.

First thing I saw when I looked at it – the chain is too far gone to save, it’s rusted to bits, so probably needs a chain and cassette. Problem being – it’s 15 speed, 5 gears at the back – that’s an older style screw on job, right?

What tools do I need to remove that? Can anyone recommend cheap replacements I can buy online?

avdave2

Try SJS for parts. I saw a 5 speed 14-28 on their site recently. They’ll almost certainly have the tools as well.

honourablegeorge

Nice one

Found this, amongst others – are they a fairly standard fit, or are there differning standards for the fitting?:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/eagle-icg-14-28-5-speed-freewheel-prod24438/

The tool mentioned (Park FR-1) looks like an ordinary cassette tool – is it the same?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Oh – one more dumb question – what size chain do I need?

avdave2

I’m not sure on the tools but if you email sjs I’ve always found them very helpful and they’ll be able to tell you what tools you’ll need and recommend a chain.

julianwilson
    Free Member

the freewheel tool looks just like a shimano/sram cassette tool until you put them next to each other, the freewheel one is slightly smaller.

honourablegeorge

Cool. Might be borrowing from a local shop then, cheers. all.

stimpy
    Free Member

The FR-1 tool isn’t the same as a cassette tool – the splines are differently spaced. You can’t interchange them.

As ever, check out Sheldon Brown for info.

oldgit
    Free Member

Take a look at the brand of freewheel (not a cassette just in case it confuses anyone) They all look alike, but can be quite different. I’ve got Shimano and a Suntour one.
    Might be worth getting the LBS to do it as it’s a one off.
    I’ve got a Mailard one to remove, and no tool.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘5 Speed Cassette’ is closed to new replies.