Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 5 pro
  • samsung
    Free Member

Hello been out of mtb 4 few years now just got back in 2 it looked at lots of bikes and decided on the 5pro just wondered if there were any changes 2 the bike a should be thinkin bout feel like I’ve just started again some advice would be much appreciated thanks
    orange hates please don’t bother a made my choice

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

The standard build is pretty sensible and should see you right if you’re just getting back into riding.
    Once you’ve got the setup right and feel comfortable on the bike, you might think about fitting some wider handlebars for better control on descents – a shorter stem might help too, but be aware that you might change the fit of the bike a bit, too.

If you’ve got the legs for it, a 1×10 drivetrain suits a Five really well – triple chainset has no place on that bike IMO.

Generally though, just get the suspension set up about right, don’t put too much wind in the tyres and have fun…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

1st thing a want 2 say iz congrats on gettin bk in after binz av bin put out since itz cold outside -4 I erd n I av just bin to tesco n a cudnt w8 2 get in bk in2 house 2 av a go ont singletrackworldforum n elp solve ppls pzzles n prblms about bikes dat dey have already spent there hard urned on even do dey shud ov asked da queschuns before dey made der choice.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I have a 2011 five pro and completely agree with what fortunateson has said. As soon as i got it, the triple came off and a single ring was put on. Im running a 11-36 cassette and a 34t chain ring.

If you like the way it rides and what to upgrade a few bits, forks are a good place. Ive found that the fox 36’s suit the bike really well and now feels stiff but really controllable out on the trail.

Main thing is to just enjoy riding the bike. Great bikes so im sure you will. Enjoy.

samsung
    Free Member

09 thanks knew 2 set suspension up right its other bits a was stuck so much choice took 3 month 2 decide on bike so many configurations thanks dt when ya can spell feel free 2 come back muppet

roverpig

Funny, I thought the Five was designed with a triple in mind. Most efficient with a 32T ring, can’t fit more than a 34T without risking fouling the pivot etc

samsung
    Free Member

Ill never get away wit single ring it all bout comin down the hill a like its just the rush bit older but still mad I’ll have look atforks though

cardo

Great choice of bike mate, I waited for the rings to wear and then went 2 x9 (22/36)with a bash and chain device, no more chain clatter on the frame or dropped chains… Shorter stem and wider bars do make a difference too. The final expense was a dropper post, the new 5’s have a wider scope of seatposts available cos of the bigger diameter tube… Deciding which colour was the hardest decision initially… Enjoy your bike and post some pics.

falkirk-mark

Dropper seatpost (hilo) is the best bit of kit I have fitted to mine (along with binning the mountain kings they came with but I don’t think they come with them now) Also went double with bashguard.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

samsung
    thanks dt when ya can spell feel free 2 come back muppet

Oh, the irony! 😆

samsung
    Free Member

Could do wit out 3 rings only use the 2 so def an option and dropper is a must 2handy not 2 have just bit expensive at mo but in mind . A do irony but not muppets

pbooker1995
    Free Member

As others have said, i recently also got a reverb and its awesome.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My upgrades from standard would be the tubeless wheels, reverb and probably the wider Haven bar. The brakes they come with are useless too.

I built mine from scratch with 740mm bars, big 160mm forks, Shimano XT brakes, Reverb and 1×10. It is a bit of a mountain masher though.

samsung
    Free Member

Dropper and wider bars wots up wit brakes just no bite

samsung
    Free Member

Would love 2 build ma own but not enough experience at mo am catching quick thought not quite got the funds at mo

ads678

At least try punctuation!! I’m really struggling.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I agree samsung, your’e starting to sound like some blokes from a sea fishing forum I go on!
    Sorry, I know nothing about bikes.

scuttler

I played devil’s advocate the other day arguing against punctuation in the modern world… I think the devil has a new advocate.

Samsung – Ur punctuashun iz sarcin. Nice bike choice though. If you end up with a triple, whizz off the outer ring and stick on a bbg guard.

samsung
    Free Member

So why post am after advice not criticism on the bike a bought

cheez0
    Free Member

thanks dt when ya can spell feel free 2 come back muppet

samsung
    Free Member

Scutter sorry wasn’t aimed at you sounds like good choice 2 lose third ring thanks

cheez0
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

any 1 been hornsea beech lately or any were round there going tomoz fanks any info would be helpfull

See what I mean?

samsung
    Free Member

Have ya got any advice on the bike then

samsung
    Free Member

Are ya leaning forward into a wave ?

J-R

It’s such a good bike there’s not really much to change, except perhaps fitting your choice of tyres. Tubeless was important to me, but it came tubeless anyway.

I have added a nice colour matched Salsa flip lock seat clamp (unfortunately I have not been impressed by the Hope ones). I have toyed with the idea of 1×10 but still not quite 100% convinced. Personally I don’t have any need for a dropped seatpost, but I am not the most gnarly downhiller.

Basically, you’ll be getting a brilliant bike so get out and ride it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well this is mine, take it from there…..

Newtonmore 2012 044 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

& get your grammar right, it really is annoyin.

samsung
    Free Member

Would have 2 try 1+10 hope stuff wouldn’t match bike color but that cosmetics do like a go at down hill though . essel Look very nice

ads678

Crackin bike btw, but you’ll end up changing stock bits so might be best just buying frame only and building it up with stuff you actually want.

samsung
    Free Member

Would have 2 try 1+10 hope stuff wouldn’t match bike color but that cosmetics do like a go at down hill though . essel Look very nice

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Crackin bike btw, but you’ll end up changing stock bits so might be best just buying frame only and building it up with stuff you actually want.

+ 1, like wot I did, innit.

essel Look very nice

Don’t lie, it looks like it was made by Vickers Defence Systems & I know it. But hey ho, It’s a thing of beauty to ride so I couldn’t give a toss.

samsung
    Free Member

Where did ya get mud guard from looks like it sits well

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Where did ya get mud guard from looks like it sits well
    Now you ARE taking the piss.

samsung
    Free Member

If ya say so mate

samsung
    Free Member

I’ll have 2 change stock parts a know but was hoping 2 do it as wear

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘5 pro’ is closed to new replies.