Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 5 or ST4?
  • andycs

Had a 5 since 08 and loved riding it. Just built a 26 Inbred and while I don’t want to give up on full suss, I feel a bit over-biked on the 5 and wondered if the ST4 would be more like a full suss Inbred if you see what I mean? So, what are your thoughts about the ST4 or any other short travel full suss?

xiphon
    Free Member

How do you feel ‘over biked’ ?

andycs

After riding the Inbred and enjoying being back on a hardtail, it made me think do I really need 5 inch of travel. Wouldn’t want to ride the Inbred all day {like the comfort of full suss} but wonder if the ST4 might be a better bet for putting in the miles whilst still having the benefits that come with rear suss.

Kit
    Free Member

If you believe the journos, then the ST4 is pointless compared with the 5. I like my ST4 though; would like to try it with 140mm forks.

stumpy01

Always need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but MBR reviewed bikes like the ST4 a while back.

I think they really liked the original one, but weren’t very keen on the latest version saying it had lost everything that made the original so good.
    I think they preferred the Spesh Epic Evo.

eyerideit
    Free Member

http://www.use1.com/product/000077/sumo-xcr-aluminium-/

save a bit of cash get and try this for a bit of back end bounce.

or if uppy/downys have a bit of give in them that many be an option as well

Del

i have an 08 5 too, as well as an inbred ss, and a P7 alfine. i’ve really kept the 5 in the garage a fair bit, only wheeling it out for uplift days and holidays.
    ride the ss most, and generally take the P7 if i think i’m going to need gears, but i took for the 5 out for a ride i’d normally use the P7 for, the other week, and had a fantastic time pinging off things right, left and centre. made me remember how much fun they are for ‘normal’ riding. reckon you’d regret it if you got rid.

takisawa2

Maybe try a 5″ bike with a “different” suspension design ?
    Just thinking the 5 is probably quite an active frame. Also perhaps your particular build is quite porky…
    (The bike, not you as in you).

Something with a lighter build, more effecient suspension might be where your looking to be. My Ventana used to run with coil Pikes, big heavy tyres, generally a heavy build etc. Fitting air Revs, lighter – tubeless tyres & generally lighter kit transformed it.

I doubt an ST4 would dissapoint if thats the way your erring.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

The ST4 reviews are misleading, having spent a fair bit of time riding both, the new frame is everything the earlier frame promised but didn’t quite deliver (or did then broke in my case). A very capable fun bike, but would be worth getting a test ride in if you can.

lunge

You could go the other way and beef up the 5. Leave the Inbred for general riding and then put some big forks and brakes on the 5 for silly days.

For me at least, I would have thought that an ST4 and an Inbred are very similar in terms of the terrain they are designed for.

pete68
    Free Member

Mbr prefered a Specialized! Get away!

Northwind

I felt the same way as the reviews tend to, I didn’t think the ST4 had enough advantages over the Five- it’s still not an amazing pedaller, suspension isn’t that much more sophisticated, and it’s less inspiring pointed downwards. Found it pretty disappointing.

But it depends what you find overbiked about it… If it’s being used for XC stuff then maybe something like an Anthem just makes more sense than either.

pete68 – Member

Yes, because they’re so notoriously anti-Orange 😕

tobytaylorj
    Free Member

Better 4 inch bikes about than an ST4 for the money id say. What about a Giant Anthem – it has racey angles but if you stick a 120 fork on it, its perfect for lightweight trail duty too. The new one has nice graphics (most important) great suspension performance (less important) tapered headtube and is light and long too. The ST4 looks a little dated in my opinion.

My Blog

ivantate
    Free Member

I have a five a built and inbred 456 with a load of old bits. the inbred then turned into a bluepig with a load of new bits and I have 2 chunky bikes instead of 1 fun and 1 pedaller. Make sure you dont go the opposite way and end up with 2 similar ones!

i will keep the five and the pig may be swapped for a proper xc machine.

The five pedals well enough for most trips so try a bit more air pressure, lighter tyres and maybe a slightly different riding position.

Alternatively if its getting a bit tired then why not try an st4?

stumpy01

pete68 –

This does my head in…tons of reviews where Specialized hasn’t come out on top, but apparently mbr love them.

Their long term 2010 Stumpy fsr elite got criticised heaps, and the current Stumpy evo long termer isn’t exactly getting a gold star report.

How many years has the Orange 5 won trail bike of the year…?

Northwind

stumpy01 – Member

How many years has the Orange 5 won trail bike of the year…?

This year’s fiddle to let it win was even more outrageous than last year so they might just be creeping towards having something else take the trophy.

(this year was fantastic though… Set a £2000 budget. Get a Five that’s under the budget. Notice it has some issues, spec optional upgrades that take it £300 over the budget. Give it extra marks for how good the upgraded parts are. Take marks off Zesty- which is significantly under budget- for some cheap and easily replaceable parts)

andycs

Ok, going to get a demo on some short travel bikes and see if I like them as much as I think I will! The idea of turning the 5 into more of a freeride spec isn’t a bad option either.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I agree with the above poster about ending up with similar bikes – that’d be a mistake IMO.

If you have a hardtail, it seems to me that replacing the Five with something a bit less heavy hitting would mean you’d be making your suspension bike closer to your hardtail. If you’re in a position to have two bikes, you might as well have two different ones and keep the contrast.

I’d go the other way with the Five – beef it up, big forks, big tyres, double and bash. That way, if I wanted short travel I’d ride the hardtail, if I wanted a suspension bike I’d ride the big fun bouncy bike.

The solution of getting a smaller travel bike seems the thing you’d want do if you were downscaling your current two bikes into one ‘do everything’ bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘5 or ST4?’ is closed to new replies.