• This topic has 58 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • 5% of our March Shimano sales to be donated to tsunami victims
  • ojom
    Free Member

Evening

I have decided we will be donating 5% of all our Shimano sales value during March.

We appreciate it won’t be mega bucks (we are only small) but it will help people who need a hand.

If you would consider us for any purchases to help aid this then that would be spiffy.

Mark

(p.s Mods, please delete if not appropriate)

Oxboy
    Free Member

Good on you

Vortexracing

(p.s Mods, please delete if not appropriate)

Far more appropriate than many other threads on here.

Hats off to you BTW.

catfood
    Free Member

I would wager that Shimano is a large part of your business and 5% is pretty much all the profit you make on it, so well done in my book.

jimmy

Sticky?

druidh
    Free Member

I am now that you’ve posted.

jimmy

SPLURGE

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

It might be a small gesture but I take my hat off to you sir!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Generous as ever. Well done.

pastcaring
    Free Member

well done, very commendable!

Dougal
    Free Member

Blatant publicity stunt. Just donate some money and keep your mouth shut.

Microsoft were very unpopular for doing something similar: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/14/microsoft_apologises_about_bing_japan_quake_tweet/

racefaceec90

respect to you sir.

Mark

How could we possibly delete this thread?

The rules state that you can’t start a thread to promote your own business but you can respond to genuine posts from users.

It seems the majority on this thread would probably prefer that we leave this thread alone. We try very hard to protect this forum from direct commercial exploitation. This thread doesn’t sit well with me but I’ll leave it alone for now.

sv

If folks think it is for publicity then dont buy anything – simples!

Personally think it is a nice thing to do and by promoting it the donation should be bigger. Now what do I ‘need’!

stanfree
    Free Member

Ignore the haters Mark , Nice gesture .

bullheart
    Free Member

Agreed.

Good work guys!

Mark (TBC) – You’ve got mail.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m loving the comparison between Microsoft and The Bike Chain btw. 😆

stanfree
    Free Member

Does this make Mark D now Steve Jobs. ? 😀

dan1980
    Free Member

If this is/was a truly altruistic act then surly saying in April “We sold loads of Shimano stuff in March and are giving all our profits from this to an appeal.” would have been the way to do it?

Additionally, assuming the link to the Earthquake is that Shimano are a Japanese company, is it worth mentioning to potential buyers that Shimano also has factories in Malaysia, China and Taiwan?

This does seem a cynical ploy to get more sales.

hilldodger
    Free Member

This does seem a cynical ploy to get more sales.

well if not more sales then certainly good publicity.

A note in the shop window would do the trick just as well, oh wait, this is the shop window………..

doug_basqueMTB.com

Nice gesture I think. Time for that new Mech I’ve been waiting for…

hilldodger
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member
    Time for that new Mech I’ve been waiting for…

so it is working as an advert then, nice job……

iain1775
    Free Member

Well done guys nice gesture regardless of what others (who I bet dont put their wallet where their mouth is) may say and besides it’s better than Crc giving 100% your account to others 😉

rOcKeTdOg

having met Mark, i can say that in doing this he would have the Japanese people foremost in his mind rather than promoting his business

dan1980
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member
    Nice gesture I think. Time for that new Mech I’ve been waiting for…

Or alternativly you could buy your mech from your LBS who will be glad of the business (and you’ll be supporting your local economy) and donate here: Red Cross Tsunami appeal

dan1980
    Free Member

who I bet dont put their wallet where their mouth is

I replaced my rear mech and chain yesterday, and additionally donated what works out as around 41% of this sale directly to the red cross.

hilldodger
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    having met Mark, i can say that in doing this he would have the Japanese people foremost in his mind rather than promoting his business

I’m sure he’s an absolutely splendid chap with the most benevolent of motives.

But the posts not aimed at those who “know him personally” or already use his shop is it, it’s aimed at diverting trade form other retailers on the back of a charity appeal.

As poster above says, why not just promote the red X or set up a ‘just giving’ page……..

kaesae
    Free Member

Shurrup all the fannies, or I shall have to go into cock mode! everyone know’s it’s the best option for dealing with you lot.

I have no doubt judging by the kind of person mark is and the stuff he does all the time to help out riders, that doesn’t make him any money ❓ that he is doing this for the right reasons.

Well done mate!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with posting that if the bike Chain sell more Shimano as a direct result from this thread then more money goes to the cause simples, shame I bought a new Shimano Shifters and rear Mech last month or I would of gone to the bike chain.

yossarian
    Free Member

But the posts not aimed at those who “know him personally” or already use his shop is it, it’s aimed at diverting trade form other retailers on the back of a charity appeal.

yeah I agree, this thread should be pulled.

if the bike Chain sell more Shimano as a direct result from this thread then more money goes to the cause simples

its 5% of the retail cost so he’s still making a tidy profit on the extra sales no?

kaesae
    Free Member

Hilldodger, go away and do something to help these people! surely that would be a better use for your time ❓

hilldodger
    Free Member

I have no doubt judging by the kind of person mark is and the stuff he does all the time to help out riders, that doesn’t make him any money that he is doing this for the right reasons.

I neither know the chap nor use his retail establishment, he has done nothing for me or anyone I know so I judge his posts purely on their content.
    If that makes me a ‘fanny’ (nice remark btw) then feel free to ‘cock off’ all you like………

kaesae
    Free Member

yossarian, are you arguing that it would be better if people buy their shimano products else where and that the money doesn’t go to Japan?

I doubt people will rush out and buy from TBC simply bacause 5% is going to this charity, the prices would still need to be close to the asking price anyway.

How do you propose the TBC ensures as many people get involved and help them contribute to the efforts in japan without telling them?

Arguing for arguments sake is pointless, however I will say it again, what are you and all of the others who seem to have so much time on their hands doing to help these people ❓

How does it make sense to waste time, when there is so much that needs to be done ❓

hilldodger
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    Hilldodger, go away and do something to help these people! surely that would be a better use for your time

Considerable % of my income already gets donated to several global charity organisations, and half my annual leave is spent volunteering for local causes/events.

I haven’t criticised your ‘mate’ personally just so perhaps you might show me the same courtesy 😀

aracer
    Free Member

If this is/was a truly altruistic act then surly saying in April “We sold loads of Shimano stuff in March and are giving all our profits from this to an appeal.” would have been the way to do it?

If it was truly opportunistic, saying “we will be donating 5% of our profits for the next month” would have been the better way to do it, rather than donating some of the profits from the 2 weeks before the announcement. Have to admit to being a bit cynical though – whatever the motives, given that “5% is pretty much all the profit you make on it” is surely a long way from the truth, and that it seems some people will be deciding to buy there on the back of this, I doubt he’s actually going to be giving up much if any of his profits.

aracer
    Free Member

what are you and all of the others who seem to have so much time on their hands doing to help these people

So much time that they can post on STW? 😯

You start kaesae – what are you doing when you’re not posting on here?

kaesae
    Free Member

hilldodger, you judge his post on your own biast and cynicism, you’re a self righteous, self important over opinionated charmer.

Before I go back to work, my question still stands, this guy is doing something to help these people, his time is being spend in an activity that will alleviate suffering and help to save lives.

For all your talk and bluster, can you show us what you are doing? and also explain to me what you hope to accomplish from your posts ❓

aracer
    Free Member

Time for that new Mech I’ve been waiting for…

Good luck with that, given they don’t sell any Shimano rear mechs – though I suppose you could always donate 5% of the cost of wherever you do get one from.

hilldodger
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    Arguing for arguments sake is pointless, however I will say it again, what are you and all of the others who seem to have so much time on their hands doing to help these people

You seem to have fallen foul of your own argument there.

Mark (OP) posted on an open forum, several people replied expressing their opinions. No personal attacks were made upon this most noble of men, just a little light sarcasm and a sprinkling of cynicism.

You however seem to be set on being abusive, argumentative and offensive…

..nice mates this Mark has 🙄

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I don’t doubt the intention is honourable but it’s ended up looking like a promotion. Promotions off the back of disasters don’t look good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘5% of our March Shimano sales to be donated to tsunami victims’ is closed to new replies.