Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 5 minute camper conversion
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I know there are lots of highly skilled home convertors on here and I love looking at the end results. I however don’t have a van I can cut up and convert and my practical skills aren’t the best.

What I do have is access to Mercedes Citan, Vito & Sprinter vans which are basically brand new. I would have to do this so that there was no work done on the base vehicle whatsoever.

1) Is it safe to sleep in the back of a van such as a Vito or Sprinter where they have a factory bulkhead? I have checked and they are not airtight as they have louvres punched into them

2) Would I be able to sleep in one and be warm enough without insulation upto say mid/end October?

3) Would sleeping on a camp bed (Of the ground frame type thing) be better than a blow up double mattress

My idea would be to buy one of these self contained units similar to this which I can get for about £500.

http://www.liverpoolcampervanconversions.co.uk/laminated-1000mm-wide-units

I know its a lot for a wooden box but after checking the prices of the sink and gas unit plus all the electrics and other bits it just seems less of a faff.

Basically work a way to mount it safely, slot it in the van with the rest of my gear and off we go.

I would only use it for 1 night stays as its more to save me long drives back after long tiring days at weekends.

Would this work?
    Would it be safe for me & my daughter?

wwaswas

build a complete insulated box that would slide into the back of the van that contains the bed, cooker etc? You’ll probably get a lot of condensation in an uninsulated van but you could leave the back doors ajar if there was a separate one with vents for the sleeping bit?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

1) Is it safe to sleep in the back of a van such as a Vito or Sprinter where they have a factory bulkhead? I have checked and they are not airtight as they have louvres punched into them

Yes

2) Would I be able to sleep in one and be warm enough without insulation upto say mid/end October?

Yes

3) Would sleeping on a camp bed (Of the ground frame type thing) be better than a blow up double mattress

Yes

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Problem with that is storage wwaswas. The one I linked is 1m x 500mm. It will happily sit in the garage when not in use and I am hoping not be too heavy. I am also not that practical to be modifying things too much.

The other benefit of separate beds are i can use the unit in the smaller Citan & Vito when the bigger sprinter isn’t available.

Its 5 minute notice type thing, throw it in the back and go

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Surroundedbyhills. Thems the answers i wanted. Is that from experience?

FieldMarshall

Why do you need that unit?

Surely you can just make do with a small camping stove and some plastic storage boxes.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

In the process of a mega build so yes have some experience.

It is safe you will not asphyxiate. 🙂

You will feel the cold 😥 – but wrap up and you’ll be fine 🙂 . expect condensation Spring/winter/autumn, you are warming up (relatively) the interior of a metal box. the best way around this is insulation. I have various in mine from 25mm to 100mm where possible then lined with foilbacked bubble wrap as a damp proof membrane. Slept onight in Glen Orchy last week – external temp 7deg – main complaint from OH and kids “too warm”!

A camp bed is fine as you will be off the cold floor.

But maybe join pintrest and search campervan conversion, soo many ideas from mega builds to basic.

Get stuck in!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Fieldmarshall that is one of the question i am currently asking myself.

I have a stove already. I could just go and buy a few plastic boxes and put my camping gear in them. All i would need is a bed. Something to use to have a wash wht be nice though

Surroundedbyhills – Not a single screwhole can be made in the vans.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

This is the OH sitting on the bedframe under which wil be the cargo/bike hold!

wwaswas

one thing OP:

Don’t ever run the gas burners in the van with the doors shut.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Colleague of mine has done similar in a T5, got a false floor in the back with room underneath for all the kit. People sleep on top.

The frame is ratchet strapped to the floor of the van. No screw holes at all.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

The more I talk about it the more I think the camp beds and storage boxes will work just as well. I cant store a bed sized build and I have to be able to remove it which sounds like an engineering job for some suggestions.

That’s nice wwaswas and I think I will have something along those lines in the future but at present it needs to be 100% removable a no modifications. Good point on the burners.

IHN

You’re possibly overthinking it; don’t think of it as a camper, think of it as a driveable metal tent.

What stuff would you buy/take with you if you were camping in a tent? Buy/take that (with the exception of fold up camp beds, that’s a very good idea).

a11y

^^^ Think you need a bigger van B.

stumpy01

TheLittlestHobo – Member

Something to use to have a wash wht be nice though

Washing up bowl, a sponge & 25L canister of water…..? You could even heat some of the water in a kettle on the stove, if you wanted to be posh… 😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Cheers A11y… 😆

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Don’t ever run the gas burners in the van with the doors shut

this

I was introduced to someone recently who has a bongo conversion (bought) I was discussing what type of heater I was going to install and he says “Nah! we just turn the cooker on when we get a bit cold in the winter!” 😯 I asked if he thought the subsequent headaches were down to an early onset hangover or maybe something else…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

IHN you are right. Funny thing is I got into camping 10yrs ago so have pretty much everything boxed and ready to go for that.

The shower suggestion looks good.

Oh well, I think I will get the beds and see how it goes. I was a bit worried that there would be a safety issue with sleeping in the van. Cooking with a door open makes sense.

km79
    Free Member

Camp bed, folding deck type chair, a couple of really useful boxes, one for kitchen equipment one for odds and sods. The boxes can double up as tables. To cut down on condensation you can sew together a couple king size bed sheets and suspend from the ceiling to act like a tent inner. Keep it simple and you will use it more. Maybe string a couple lines inside to hang things from. Keep a tarp and a couple poles handy along with some bungees and pegs and you have an awning that takes a couple mins to setup.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Just been on the go outdoors website.

£50 for 2 sturdy looking camp beds. I have practically everything else from cooking equipment(Jetboil system), pots, pans, to washing up bowls etc. A few quid on some nice big storage boxes and I am sorted.

I like the idea of rigging up a couple of old bedsheets from the roof to reduce condensation.

Thanks guys, I was ready to blow £500 and I am now looking at about £60-£70

km79
    Free Member

Bit late for this year but good to prep for next year – if you go anyplace where there’s midges, order a length of this stuff and some magnets/velco to attach to van.

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabrics/insect-netting-and-mesh-fabrics/p1h-insect-netting

Allows you to sit inside van with door open for ventilation in warmer weather without getting eaten alive.

thenorthwind

I like the idea of rigging up a couple of old bedsheets from the roof to reduce condensation.

Not a single screwhole can be made in the vans.

Magnets are your friends.

simon_g

Don’t ever run the gas burners in the van with the doors shut.

Or use a disposable BBQ and stick it in the van when you’re done with it – https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/sep/06/barbecue-warning-camper-death

Youtube threw up this video from a Spanish company that do removable camper stuff, there’s a few neat things I’d not seen before like using the tie-down points to secure the units.

They do kits for Vito/Citan if you didn’t mind paying a bit more for something designed for it. http://www.furgomania.com/es/furgoneta-camper/mercedes/vito-larga/

newsfromthefront
    Free Member

Substitute the ‘camp beds’ for name brand carp fishing beds (Fox, Nash etc) and you’ll actually sleep! 😉 Works for me in a Vauxhall Combo (even in winter on multi day trips) & I haven’t died… Condensation can get out of hand though & as already stated above, just do your cooking outside & you’ll be good!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘5 minute camper conversion’ is closed to new replies.