Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 5 mile commute – what do I need?
  • aP
    Free Member

Fairly flat, urban commute, no real option for cheeky trails. What do I need?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lights – Good ones. Seeing as I have it on my clipboard from another thread – http://www.stonehengecycles.com/product/9319/moon_xp500_shield_rear_light_set
    Mudguards – Good ones! SKS Chromos are the pick.
    Helmet – Up to you, but I would!
    Rack and panniers – So much nicer than having stuff on your back.
    Lock – Dependent on locations, a good lock is essential. Abus Granit or Krypto Evo and a front wheel cable.

Or, get a Brompton! 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

A bike with some lights, everything else is optional.

thomthumb
    Free Member

any bike would do.

what do you want?

my personal choice/ preference is a singlespeed roadie (pompino) 28c tyres, guards and a dynamo light.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have the same, and I use the Kona Minute Cargo bike most of the time.

But I also do it on the full carbon road bike, or the Langster singlespeed too

TBH you could do it on a bmx, I just find the Cargo to be the nicest day to day, and the most use if I need to pick anything up on the way home

eulach

Traffic sense and patience. One of the best bits of advice I read was here at STW – try and avoid conflict.

tonyd

My commute used to be 5 miles, I did it on a ’93 Cindercone with mudguards, rack, panniers, and lots of lights. Don’t get anything too fancy as a) it might get pinched and b) you want something heavy to make the 5 miles worthwhile! I used to carry way more than I needed in panniers just to make things a little more challenging 🙂

pcb
    Free Member

Get some mudguards, nothing worse than a wet ar$e when you get to work

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Rack and panniers – So much nicer than having stuff on your back

I do 18 miles each way and prefer a sweaty back to a bike that handles like a pig. I have a rack and panniers. Hanging up in my garage. Try both and see what suits you.

Lights- and some back ups if you are commuting when its dark (I work shifts so a least one of my journeys is fully in the dark).

Traffic sense and patience. One of the best bits of advice I read was here at STW – try and avoid conflict.

Might sound like I’m trolling but I think that some people go out expecting conflict and therefore find it (anyone that rides with a helmet cam to capture road rage for instance). I see more considerate driving than in considerate, and I believe in positive feedback not negative. If I see someone has waited for me to pass before pulling out/turning/opening door etc I’ll give them a big wave and a thank you as I pass. If they cut it close what good does giving them the finger achieve, its going to make them more antagonistic towards cyclists not give them cause to calmly reflect on their driving.

RustySpanner

2 tubes, good tyre levers, pump, small repair kit.
    Multitool.
    Spare lights – the little 2 LED ones are great. Aldi or EBC, about £4.00.
    Headtorch.
    Spare gloves & socks. Woolly hat.
    Waterproof.
    Jelly Babies.

crashtestmonkey – Member

I do 18 miles each way and prefer a sweaty back to a bike that handles like a pig. I have a rack and panniers. Hanging up in my garage. Try both and see what suits you.

Prefer panniers.
    You can go shopping on the way home.
    And I can’t fit all the stuff I need for work into a comfy backpack.

brakes
    Free Member

sharp elbows and thunderous thighs.
    mmmmm, thighs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

comfy shoes and a good bag? is the bike not more hassle than it’s worth for 5 mins?

StirlingCrispin

This is my bike: 3-speed hub-gear with coaster brake, roller front brake, enclosed chain with Hebi chainglide, Schwalbe marathon-plus tyres, dynamo, saddlebag, full length mudguard.

I’ve oiled the chain a handful of times this year!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I do 18 miles each way and prefer a sweaty back to a bike that handles like a pig”

you are doing it wrong.

i went out for 3 hours mtb on the way home last night with my lunch box and clothes for the day in my russian framefit bag – was grand

normally use a carradice as per stirlin crispin above

for 5 miles – id just use a bag. Mudguards are a must though – its no fun putting wet clothes on after and most of the time you get wet its wet from below spray than it is rain.

brakes
    Free Member

your doing it wrong.

you’re spelling it wrong.
    :tee hee:

TiRed

A nice dutch roadster, lights, panniers and a good coat. Five flat miles is under the shower and change threshold.

trail_rat
    Free Member

this is what happens when work springs an offshore trip on you with no notice :d

zilog6128

comfy shoes and a good bag? is the bike not more hassle than it’s worth for 5 mins?

You can cover 5 miles on foot in 5 minutes?

mikewsmith on his commute:

twinklydave

A reliable bike – noting flashy (except the lights, ha!), just reliable and comfy. A 4 mile walk because your unloved chain exploded is a PITA.

Lights, many thereof. Good to have 2nd front and rear ones in case the main ones give up the ghost.

Mudguards. They reduce the misery of splashing through puddles of god-knows-what slightly more bearable.

Waterproofs if it’s raining (or looks like it might). 5 miles might not be far in the grand scheme of things, but even if you’re only out in the pissing rain for 20mins it’s still nicer with a jacket/trousers that keep you dry, especially if you’re not going flat out, so aren’t going to get too sweaty. 🙂

jono1982
    Free Member

Full TT machine, or track pursuit bike if its flat.
    no need for mudguards if you’re in a rubber aero suit.
    drop a headset spacer a week untill you can fit your tt-ski’s to your fork crowns, your back will get used to it.
    18mm tubs @ 15 bar, disc wheels and a dinner plate chainring should see you nibbling at 7 minutes for the 5 mile trip.
    don’t forget to warm up and warm down on the rollers before and after.
    jono

Superficial
    Free Member

Good clothes, mudguards and lights.

Anything to minimise faff is a good thing IMO too. I.e. bolt up / non-QR hubs so you don’t need a separate cable lock, lights that are permanently-attached and don’t need removing every time you leave your bike unattended.

As others have said, I don’t find panniers to be especially amazing. The extra weight over a rucksack is significant and for my 6 mile commute, having the weight over my shoulders isn’t a problem. I actually use a pannier now – I bought it to see if I liked it and it’s stayed on my bike mainly out of laziness TBH. YMMV

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

you are doing it wrong.

I was comparing a pannier set up with a bag pack. I hate the unbalanced feel- all the weight at the back of the bike, and usually to one side. A rack-top/saddle bag (carradice referred to and pictured) would put the weight on the centre line, and a frame bag like yours would fully centralise the weight. I reckon a frame bag would be ideal, but I can’t grow the beard that goes with it.

and PMSL at jono.

toby1

Schwalbe Marathons or Marathon pluses too – they are VERY good tyres!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Might sound like I’m trolling but I think that some people go out expecting conflict and therefore find it (anyone that rides with a helmet cam to capture road rage for instance). I see more considerate driving than in considerate, and I believe in positive feedback not negative. If I see someone has waited for me to pass before pulling out/turning/opening door etc I’ll give them a big wave and a thank you as I pass. If they cut it close what good does giving them the finger achieve, its going to make them more antagonistic towards cyclists not give them cause to calmly reflect on their driving.

This is good advice.

soobalias
    Free Member

breakfast.
    post ride breakfast.
    spare pants/socks left at work

miketually
    Free Member

I do a slightly shorter commute.

For a short commute like that, just wear your work clothes rather than messing about getting changed. Ride a bit slower on your way in to avoid sweatiness.

Bike: I’ve ridden everything from a cross bike to a cargo bike, via a MTB and a sit up and beg German bike. The cargo bike is the most sensible, the cross bike is fastest and fun.
    Lights: Two front, two back. If one dies, the other will still work. I have a Cateye set, plus a cheap set from Aldi – the cheap ones just stay on the bike as it’s left somewhere reasonable secure at work.
    Bag: I’ve used a rucksack, a basket, panniers, courier bag. My favourite is a ‘basket’ on a frame-mounted front rack.
    Helmet: I do, but mainly to stop my mother-in-law from nagging me.
    Jacket: currently using a cheap Aldi one. Commuting ruins things, so go cheap, if possible.
    Waterproof trousers: again, cheap Aldi.
    Lock: heavy D-lock that lives at work at the moment, as I don’t bother stopping on the way home.

drlex
    Free Member

A reliable bike – noting flashy (except the lights, ha!), just reliable and comfy. A 4 mile walk because your unloved chain exploded is a PITA.

I have had this – at least I had the rain kit. Missing links and a chain breaker are now in my commuting kit.

If you’ve an unlit stretch, a head torch (Alpkit gamma etc) makes puncture repair/tube swapping a bit easier, and can be an emergency front light or just provide extra visibility at junctions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my helmet cam mostly captures other cyclists being dicks. ironic really.

its just there because that day you do get hit – youll find you go into shock IF your uninjured and forget to do key things – talking from experiance here.

miketually
    Free Member

Tools: I don’t bother with any tools or anything. It’s 3 or 4km, I’ll get to work quicker if I either walk the rest of the way or head home and ride a different bike in.

For getting home, I have other options I can use, or just walk it pushing the bike.

Speaking of which: multiple bikes is useful. I generally don’t have time (or energy) mid-week to repair things, so just ride a different bike until the weekend 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘5 mile commute – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.