Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 5 live i need a new station
  • redmex
    Free Member

I need to listen to another radio station for a month maybe less its that cricket time again and it takes over so boring
    Evans is too loud, will 6 music be too laid back and i run late ?
    Radio 1 is like the plague so must try radio 4 will i become more cultured ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Podcasts?
    Audiobooks?

Failing that R4 is probably the only game in town.

gordimhor

Get an internet/dab radio much wider choice.

pictonroad

Absolute Radio. The breakfast show is good. Via some kind of black magic the same show goes out on multiple decade themed stations, only the music changes.

mechanicaldope

Radio 6 music. Some excellent shows on there.

Edit: now I have actually read your post I see you have already discounted R6

twistedpencil

Radio 4, switched at the beginning of the year as I got tired of listening to the listeners and realised I didn’t need their fears and anger in my life.

I miss the cricket, but one new years resolution I’ve stuck with!

nickhit3
    Free Member

im in the same boat. cant stand cricket or any other sport broadcast in a similar volume but generally enjoy the 4% of BBC5live that isnt f’ing sport. And Chiles… man alive. why am i listening to it again?

geoffj

I suspect that there’ll be plenty of cricket on Radio 4 over the next few weeks.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I listen to Radio 4Extra a lot, though may depend on your age as there are lots of classic radio shows from days gone by on it.
    It also has some excellent drama, for example last Saturday afternoon the story Leni Riefenstahl and her filming of the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It may not sound very exciting but was really well done.

dannybgoode

R4 ftw. I can pretty much listen to it all day every day. The odd thing I have to swerve (Any Answers for eg) but other than that it’s what my dial is tuned to.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Radio Scotland, zero mentions of cricket.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Another vote for Absolute Radio. Breakfast show is brilliant. I listen to it via Absolute Classic Rock on dab or AM 1215 in the car.
    Wife hates it.

hate how they lump sport in with news

pondo

I like the 6Music music, but the breakfast chat I find way too self-indulgent and too much of it, not so bad at drivetime.

bikebouy
    Free Member

R3 or R4

jekkyl

LBC.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cricket takes place over night in the UK (with the possible exception of the day night from Adelaide) and is broadcast on radio 4 lw and extra. Doubt it will take over much of the actual day time listening.

nickc

I switch between R4 R5 (although can be like the audio version of the DM when there’s a phone-in) and R6.

not much help, sorry.

philmccrackin
    Free Member

im a recent convert to radio 4 in the mornings too… flick between that an five live but as op will be avoiding any cricket nonsense…

i like Evans but he doesnt come on till 06:30 and im at work by then, still very much enjoy Ken Bruce and especially Jeremy Vine if i get chance to listen to their shows, but Steve Wright and Simon Mayo can GTF! Mayo would not be so bad but for his super irritating entourage – and i HATE the confessions!

any drive over about 20 mins im straight into my podcast library tho..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If you want to feel like killing soft, trusting puppies with your bare teeth then listen to Radio 2.

Jeremy Kyle Vine flips me over the edge. I could crash the car. And he knows he’s doing it, the little shit. And Steve Wright? Agh. Agh. He’s so chummy it’s a shark-fest in my head.

Ken Bruce still around? ‘Ahll juus’ saht here wi’ ma wee pape an’ slappaz’.

Music can be OK though. If you only like Steely Dan. Otherwise not.

philmccrackin
    Free Member

whenever i get in the wifes car her radio is always tuned to Key 103 (local manchester radio) 5 minutes of that and the all is forgiven with the BBC!

she actually chooses to listen to it, and enjoys it, and subjects my kids to it, and they enjoy it too!! i absolutely despair.

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Podcasts?
    Audiobooks?

What is this heresy of which thou dost speak? Dost ye takest us for fools? The originator of this thread has clearly laid out his need of a radio station.

Shall he deviate from prescribed doctrines? Shall he disregard that which his betters have sought fit to tell him? Begone with this talk of “audio books” and “podcasts” lest ye be a traveler in time, or minion of satan who, on his own volition dost summon noise of his own choosing?

spacey

The cricket is on 5live sports extra, freeing up 5live for the inane chat that is the daytime core of the station.

(I love cricket, so don’t understand how this can even be a thing) 😆

paton
    Free Member

RTÉ 252

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cricket is on 5live sports extra, freeing up 5live for the inane chat that is the daytime core of the station.

I’m sure it won’t interrupt too much daytime radio…
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/38295335 – Schedule

AdamW
    Free Member

I used to be R4 all day but now I avoid first thing – the ‘Today’ programme is just chattering classes talking rubbish and/or false equivalence in the effort to start a fight (e.g. Lawson talking out of his bum about climate change). Oh and Any Questions?/Any Answers? as it give me the view that humanity is lost. 🙂

ClassicFM is OK but they seem to have a limited repertoire.

Absolute 80s is decent.

ahsat

In the morning radio 1 (easy listening, R4 is too much when I’m not awake), 6-music in the afternoon and R4 in the evening!

Or…world service. My brother is one of the journalists so started listening more in the last year and it has some really interesting stuff and provides a more balanced view of the news.

binners

Most radio is absolutely awful, but nothing …. NOTHING…. can possibly be as tie-curlingly awful as Adrian Chiles on 5Live.

He makes me want to remove my own ears with a pair of bolt croppers

If the BBC had secured an unpresidented global coup and that **** was given an interview with god, but only had one question, to unravel the mysteries of creation, find a cure for cancer, he would definitely ask him what his favourite biscuit was.

I don’t mind five live, but as soon as his thick-as-mince drawl comes on, i’d Happily smash my DAB radio into a thousand pieces rather than listen to another second of it

Just shove 6Music on. It grows on you. Like mould 🙂

frankconway

Not much love for Chiles so far – and I don’t aim to change that.
    If at home, get an internet radio – thousands of stations.
    If in car, audiobooks as ^^^

redmex
    Free Member

The 5 live with the cricket hasn’t been too bad maybe because the english cricket team are like the scottish football team pish
    Rachel burden is the adrian chiles of the breakfast show i find her a pain and their sports guy George riley must have got more than ten of the belt as he is on no more
    I have the radio on low all night long

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 5 live with the cricket hasn’t been too bad maybe because the english cricket team are like the scottish football team pish

Or because it’s got it’s own station and is on over night?

gwaelod
    Free Member

BBC World Service for speech. Genuinely enlightening at times.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Radio Paradise for music if you are an old fogey.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Most radio is absolutely awful, but nothing …. NOTHING…. can possibly be as tie-curlingly awful as Adrian Chiles on 5Live.

He makes me want to remove my own ears with a pair of bolt croppers

If the BBC had secured an unpresidented global coup and that **** was given an interview with god, but only had one question, to unravel the mysteries of creation, find a cure for cancer, he would definitely ask him what his favourite biscuit was.

I don’t mind five live, but as soon as his thick-as-mince drawl comes on, i’d Happily smash my DAB radio into a thousand pieces rather than listen to another second of it

so true.

i dont understand why they cant just keep the sport on 5live Sport extra, where it should be.

TiRed

Can I be the first to say Radio 3? Seriously. It may seem like a steep learning curve, but once you’ve been listening for a few days, you’ll appreciate the cycle of programs and concerts. It’s great in the background for work too.

Radio 5 is Bloke Radio, it just gets tiresome. Radio 4 is great, but needs attention. 6 Music isn’t so bad, but not as good as it used to be. So I tried Radio 3. Saturday mornings are particularly good, “Building a collection” plays multiple versions of the same piece and it is the best music lesson you can hear.

redmex
    Free Member

England cricket team are beat again back out to Elanour Android every two mins to hear what happened
    Bad enough but what would it be like if they had won

deadkenny
    Free Member

R4 for the comedy stuff in the evening. Gets a bit deep or obscure in the mornings for me.

I struggle with the rest, especially limited to FM in the car. Constantly flicking between stations to settle on something that isn’t crap but it doesn’t last. Especially commercial stations. Garage, garbage, advert, garbage, advert, garbage, maybe okay song so listen to that, advert, more garbage, etc. Switch between them and it’s the same, plus they sync the adverts so you can’t avoid them.

5 Live is too much sport chat for me.

LBC occasionally I can cope with, more in the evening. Utterly despise James O’Brian though. Given up with Radio London other than Eddie in the evening. I prefer most of these when the presenter has interesting stuff to talk about but then switch over as soon as some idiot phones in.

R2 is an odd mix of a lot of stuff can’t stand and sometimes decent things.

The rest is garbage, especially R1. Sure we listened to cheesy pop in the 80s, but the crap kids like today is, I don’t know, it’s not music (definitely turned into my parents).

gwaelod
    Free Member

Radio Paradise app on phone..buffer up enough for the journey. Bluetooth to car radio

ourmaninthenorth

Can I be the first to say Radio 3?

Only because you posted before me 😉

I’m a creature of habit:

Radio 4 in the car going to work
    Radio 6 in the car going home/in the kitchen making dinner
    Radio 3 late at night (Late Junction)

Radio 5 is very rare and only for listening to a sports broadcast.

I now have a car with DAB. So obviously have taken to downloading content from R4 Extra to play in the car….

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘5 live i need a new station’ is closed to new replies.