Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 5 days in scotland
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

Week off work in may to explore Scotland. Give me some good trails (natural and trail centres) to look into.

Live just south of the border so already know (and ride) the usual culprits (ae, mabie etc)

Probably kick it all of in Peebles then head towards Cairngorms, no idea after that though.

whitestone
    Free Member

Trail centre: Laggan Wolftrax

Natural trails: get the two volumes of Scottish Wild Trails and take your pick. There’s the usual suspects: Cairngorms loop; Torridon; Kinlochleven; Sligachan

bungalistic
    Free Member

Any particular loop in the Cairngorms? Seen a few options but will probably just do one before moving on.

Been up to Kinlochleven before and rode the Ciaran Path & Devils Staircase.

Torridon and Skye are definitely contenders

euain

Trail centres – Golspie and Balblair. About 20 mins apart and very different – and both great fun.

whitestone
    Free Member

Re: Cairngorms loop. If you look at the selfsupported website for the cairgorms loop you’ll see that there’s an inner and an outer loop. The inner is shorter but more technical whereas the outer is longer but not as technical. There’s bits (lots) of HAB on both.

From Glen Feshie there’s also Carn Ban More, but I’ve not done that though others on here have.

Just remembered: in the VP guide there’s a Glen Garry loop – don’t bother! It’s an hour or so on fire road, three hours of HAB and 20 mins of a washed out descent.

nickjb
    Free Member

Torridon and Skye are definitely contenders

That would be my choice. More than enough for 5 says and a good chance to get into the wilds. Might pop into Fort William on the way for an uplift, too.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

We’re doing a Scottish roadtrip at the end of June. We’ve opted for Torridon loop, Ben Damph loop (Torridon again basically) and Ciaran Path/Devils Staircase.

Although I’m wondering whether we stop off on route to Torridon and ride Lairig Ghru. Is it worth it? Reads well. Although does anyone have any route info on this ride? The VP and Kenny Wilson book routes differ to this one by MBR:

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=zwycgafwowphsftz

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘5 days in scotland’ is closed to new replies.