Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 5 days in Ireland with my Bike – Suggestions
  • andy3809
    Free Member

Took advantage of a return ferry ticket from Anglesey to Dublin on a whim, for the grand total of £1.99! Planning on taking my bike over and having a scoot around for 5 days in August.

Any suggestion starting from Dublin from any Irish cyclists on the forum? Will be taking camping gear and my trusty tricross and happy to cover a reasonable distance everyday.

My initial thoughts are to cycle from Dublin across to Galway then down into County Clare but this isn’t based on anything really. So any must see bits? Classic roads with a view? Good places to camp?

Thanks in advance

sv

Come North! Carlingford, Strangford/Ards Peninsula, Antrim Coast road, Giants Causeway. Plenty more to see and do.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Have a Google of ‘the Wicklow way’….it’s a long distance route from Dublin down through wicklow….nearly 100 miles, iir….I’ll be doing it this year too :0)

petey83
    Free Member

Agree with Stedlocks. Wicklow is spectacular. I cant imagine the cycle from Dublin to Galway would be anything special. If heading west I would get on the train and do as much of the Wild Atlantic Way as possible and get train back to Dublin.

andy3809
    Free Member

Loving the look of that! I take it that a mountain bike would be the order of the day?

phiiiiil

A lot of the middle of Ireland is very flat and very boring. Wicklow is lovely; I think that’s the way I’d go.

I took a mountain bike on a touring-by-campervan holiday around Ireland a few years back; I didn’t ride it once… 🙁

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I rode my bike to ireland a couple of years ago when I had to sort out a couple of my dads bits when he passed away….riding onto and off the ferry was an eye opener! Just be carefull coming out, if going into Dublin port, as the lorry drivers are in a big hurry! Scared the crap out of me…..my folks come from wicklow, so I rode down the coast road, about 40 miles, and I think only a couple of cars passed me….since they opened the N11, it’s very quiet. Wicklow is known as the garden of Ireland for a reason!

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

Grand canal way will get you most of the way from dublin to galway. The dingle way and conor pass in kerry are excellent also but wicklow is where its at both on and off road. Anyone thats interested in the wicklow way is more than welcome to have a shot at the wicklow way double record !

darkplunger
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Wicklow Way and walked it several times. It’s brilliant. Great scenery and terrain. Theoretically you’re not supposed to ride most of it. However I’ve never had any issues or conflict. We’ve always ridden at a leisurely pace and stayed at hostels and b&bs.Takes 2&1/2 days each way. You could ride it in both directions. There’s a few epic climbs, be warned.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

You walked or biked it in 2 1/2 days ??

Saccades
    Free Member

The George.

Saccades
    Free Member

Right now that first, obvious answer is out of the way…

80km from the port to redcross via the coast rd. Redcross has a lovely campsite which is attached to the pub which has a brewery and german brewmeister and the beer all complies with the german purity laws. om nom nom.

Then a gentle 50km along part of the avoca valley up to aughavannagh then across to glandalough via the sleive maan and shay elliots climbs, and carry on to roundwood campsite. 6-7 pubs, all very good (Coach house is v bike friendly).

3km up to ballinstoe and rent a mtb from biking.ie and do a loop, then go over the boardwalks to Djouce (or via the road) and enjoy the finest mtb playground in ireland. Then back to roundwood and another nights camp.

Then do the wicklow gap toward ballymore eustace around the lake and then back over the sally gap to the sugarloaf mountain and then down to the valleystop campsite (~90km).

Last day – Up to ticknock and rent a mtb from biking.ie their 2nd place in the dublin bit of the mountains and ride around probably the 2nd most mtb built up area in ireland. Then straight down all the way to the ferry.

😉

All the main east coast road climbs, 2 of the best mtb places in ireland and good campsites in nice and handy places.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

The george… glenmalure lodge or blue light not more appropriate ?

harvey
    Free Member

wicklow is a good call, or else get the train down to west cork ( beara peninsula or sheeps head ) , ring of kerry, or over to the west – achill, mayo or connemara. if you cycle from dublin to galway you leave yourself very short of time in spectacular scenery

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘5 days in Ireland with my Bike – Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.