Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 5 days available for honeymoon – where to go? – France?!
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

We have 5 days put away for our honeymoon, we will take longer when our son is older, as the other half won’t currently leave him for longer than a week.

Mrs Slim has suggested possibly touring northern France on the motorbike, and I quite like the idea – but not sure she will enjoy me dragging her around all of the war memorials and D-Day landings..
    I was thinking of hitting a couple beaches, over to Mont St.Michel, then maybe across to Brittany for some of that famous rugged coastline and maybe some water sports?
    Of course, this will all totally die on its arse should the current weather conditions prevail.

So, we could in theory go anywhere practicable.
    We certainly aren’t flush however, so bargain bucket suggestions much appreciated.

Any suggestions?
    Croatia?
    Sweden?
    Norway?
    Scotland?

Are there any ‘must see’s’ that’ll give a memory to last a lifetime?

SamCooke
    Free Member

Give a memory to last a lifetime?

maybe some water sports

Seems pretty self- contained

slimjim78
    Free Member

I knew it was coming, but first post?! jeesh

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dubrovnik for a long weekend, and book a cruise to an island (maybe for an overnight…shwiinnng) while you’re there. Possibly not the cheapest, but it’s a truly jawdroppingly beautiful city.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I suppose we could foray further south into the warmer champagne swigging reaches of the land of garlic?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Dubrovnik eh?
    I’ll googleitup

Stoner
    Free Member

^ DD is onto a good thing there.

Mrs S and I spent our “first” honeymoon in croatia. 7 days on a tub checking out the islands, Split & Dubrovnik. Didnt actually cost a huge lot, about £700 for both of us I think, in 2004.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

2004 you say Stoner? Get the fleck outtta here. Mrs deadly and I had our honeymoon in Croatia in 2005. Learned to sail a yacht, then did the flotilla thing down to Dubrovnik from Korcula, island hopping-ish. It was the nearest thing to middle class I’ve ever felt. I had a good wash at the end of it though. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

funny. Id never felt quite so common 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

any ideas on the best place to book such an island hopping excursion?
    i feel a surprise honeymoon coming on…

I’ve always fancied Croatia but wanted to enjoy it for a couple of weeks. But what the heck

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

any ideas on the best place to book such an island hopping excusion?

Sorry, can’t be of any help there. We booked our thing with Neilson – it was a two weeker – villa, flotilla type affair. Why not do Dubrovnik for the weekend and then just do a few boat trips once you’re there? There’ll be no end of different crowds offering excursions.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

funny. Id never felt quite so common

Don’t tell me you had to man the tiller yourself a few times? 😯

Stoner
    Free Member
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh jaysus yeah, that is a bit common. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Don’t tell me you had to man the tiller yourself a few times?

No, but I was disappointed when I found out we had a bunk bed on our honeymoon. Not…a…joke…! 🙁

😉

Ambrose

Dordogne. Love the place.
    Reykjavik- cheaper than you might think. Love it even more than Dordogne.
    Torridon- We spent six weeks there on summer (1983) and it rained twice in all that time. I’d love to go back.
    Oslo and Bergen both look amazing.

TiRed

I’d second a short break to Iceland. Lots to see, romantic, different. You’ll dine out on that trip for years to come.

Sandwich

Have a look at short cycling holidays in the Loire. Contact me by e-mail if you want to know more as it’s what I do for a living.

emma82
    Free Member

I’d actually go with your original idea of the war stuff. I normally don’t particularly enjoy it but my other half didn’t tell me what we were doing until we pulled up at the american war memorial in the morning and that was two days of the holiday jut travelling around that area, lots around other than just war ‘stuff’, was really good so she might enjoy it.?

emma82
    Free Member

Sandwich! We are heading to Loire valley next Saturday! What’s the weather looking like? Any recommendations? We just have mountain bikes and a couple of pootling bikes, no road bikes

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think your idea sounds good OP, a nice adventure.

MSM will be super busy tho, I mean rammed, I’d avoid.

Harry_the_Spider

Reykjavik.

1981miked
    Free Member

We flew into Bergerac airport and headed NE where we rented a small barn conversion in the country near a village called Vergt. It is between Bergerac and Perigeux in the Drogdone region. We had a pool with views over the country side. The folk who own the cottage live next door and are really nice, they are as sociable or as private as u want them to be.

We had a good few nights sitting on the balcony of their house drinking beer!! 8pm – 03.30am was a particular highlight but we suffered the next day! They let us borrow their satnav to find the best restaurant I have ever eaten at, set in the grounds of a 12th century Abbey with the best service and food, also ate a Michelin starred restaurant in a gorgeous village.. Ud never find it without the satnav.

The towns of Bergerac, Perigeux and Surlat are full of midevil buildings and alleyways and very easy to spend hours walking about them, loads of Patisseries, cafe’s and Ice cream shops. We also hired a canoe and paddled 14km down the Dordogne, that was excellent as you get to see all the caves that were home to early man.

So anyway im being long winded now, I couldn’t recommend it enough. If you want contact details for the cottage email me at mikedonald@hotmaildotcom and I’ll forward you the owners email.

Enjoy your day aswell mate, I got married 6 weeks ago and the day flew by. No nerves on the day and even managed a pedal in the morning, don’t sweat the speech, it is a doddle. Just enjoy the day because it is over before you know it.
    Your head will be full of a million thoughts, have I done this, remembered that, where are the rings etc… Plus all the questions from people wanting to know this of that about the meal etc, do what I did and get there in plenty of time, grab a beer if u can and find a quiet corner with your mates/brother/Dad and relax while u can.

Your jaw will ache with smiling aswell by the end of the day… And never underestimate people’s generosity.. We were so lucky with out presents etc.

All the best mate.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Some nice short breaks to Garda from Gatwick, just pick the nicest hotel and hire a swish car. Sorted.

uwe-r
    Free Member

If you are heading to France Quimper is a fantastic old town and is in the direction you are thinking of, there are many lovely places around. La Torche is also an epic surfing / kite surfing beech to the west with more sedate touristy beeches to the south.

IA

Oslo and Bergen both look amazing.

Very much not a cheap option! Oslo’s lovely, but my god it’s expensive.

Markie
    Free Member

Rome would be my recommendation! Wonderful city.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Scotland?

Normally, I’d say take the bike, hed up the west coast of scotand, along the north, over to orkney and out to the north Isles, Papa Westray or Westray. best beaches, long peaceful walks , romantic beyond words

sadly pishing rain spoils it a bit, but if you’re not going for a month or so, watch the weather..

slimjim78
    Free Member

lots of places to google and explore, thanks for the recommendations.

I must say that the Dalmation Coast or Southern France are tipping the scales for me at the moment, although, Rekjavic and a Eurotunnel adventure also seem like good options

toby1

I loved Croatia last year, absolutely stunning place and be sure to look up Buza2 if you do go to Dubrovnik.

Swimming in the sea there will be a lasting memory for you if you do go – the holiday brochures haven’t been edited and re-coloured. It is amazing.

Off to Reykjavik in September, so no opinion formed on that as yet, but I’m really looking forward to it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

http://www.icelolly.com have some phenomenal deals on occasions just have to pick through the shod, but they had some 5* Dubrovnik deals which were lovely about a month back.

otherwise what about Northern France motorbike tour but go over to Bruges, it’s a beautiful place .

ourmaninthenorth

Florence and its surrounds.

Though this is the height of the season, so you’ll not exactly be on your own….

Sandwich

Emma pootling is what we sell. Weather should be good. Which bit of the Loire are you visiting? We cover Angers to Orléans though I get to cycle the Austria and Germany bits not the French stuff.

slimjim78
    Free Member

mail me at mikedonald@hotmaildotcom and I’ll forward you the owners email

have emailed you 1981milked

stratobiker
    Free Member

France is excellent this time of year……

But, you don’t say when your honeymoon is.

What time of year would you be honeymooning?

SB

slimjim78
    Free Member

3 weeks away!

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah saw ur email mate. Will reply to u tomorrow when I have time.

bwaarp
    Free Member

France, there’s a wonderful town on the coast that is walled and built up high. It’s like something out of Harry Potter, built up out of the ground and rises very suddenly. I forget it’s name.

Or Italy, Florence, Sienna, Rome etc. You can’t go wrong there.

Edit: Here we go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

I’m not sure if they have any B&B’s there, but I’ve always wanted to go. Maybe someone could chime in.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve been to the Mont, its an amazing day trip. The road leading to it is flooded at high tide.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I just come back from Saint Emellion, very nice it was too! I’m just finishing a bottle of 99 St Chinain, nice one Hugo!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘5 days available for honeymoon – where to go? – France?!’ is closed to new replies.