Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 5 day tour in Scotland, any ideas?
  • summittoppler
    Free Member

It looks like I might have a pass for a 4-5 day bike tour. I’m liking the idea of Scotland. I’ll be wildcamping/campsites and will be travelling up on the train,so the finish can be different than the start.
    Early ideas are from Inverness, Poolewe, Loch Carron and finishing on Skye at Ardvasar then the train home from Mallaig. Maybe looking at 40-50 miles per day.

Or could I spend it doing something better?
    Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Sounds good.

I’d be looking to do that route in reverse – (in theory) having the prevailing wind at my back.

Alternatively, start at Kyle and work north, including Applecross. You should manage Ullapool and then across to Garve/Inverness easily at those sort of distances, though I’d maybe look to do a higher mileage and look at heading a bit further North (including Inverpolly) and maybe heading across to Lairg for the train home.

mrplow
    Free Member

Avon skin so soft. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

An off road five dayer I wanted to do was starting at Achnashellach station, ride down to Coulags, dump stuff in bothy, ride without camping gear up and over to Annat, then back again via the Coulin pass and trail down the side of the river lair.

next day ride from the bothy down the hill, along the road for a while to the Attadale gardens, follow forest roads to Loch an Iasaich then descend the hill track to Glen Ling and follow the river out to Killilan, up the road a little then push up sometimes steep but good trail to the Falls of Glomach, then descend the Bealach na Sroine path to Glen Shiel.

Next day ride up Glen Lichd to Alltbeithe Hostel. Ditch stuff and go explore singletrack around Glen Affric, or even investigate paths up some of the nearby munros, there looks to be some good trails up there (Coire Leachavie anyone?).

Next day descend the trail through Bealach an Sgairne and ride back to Kyle of Lochalsh. This seems a bit of a cop out but I don’t know any good riding between Glen Shiel and Kyle of Lochalsh. You could split up the riding above ^ in order to make this day five instead of day four.

Either way your enjoyment of the above would be dependent on your fitness, your sense of humour in the face of the occasional hike a bike, and how light you can pack your camping gear!

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I would ride down glen Lichd again given the chance, possibly one of the best days/mornings biking I have had in scotland. is it not possible after the bealach na sroine to head east to Alltbeithe? Seems more sense than descending all the way to sea level and then riding back up to the hostel next day?
    Just a thought.

13thfloormonk

Only if you cycled up the Bealach an Sgairne, which at the end of a longish day could be a bit punishing!

Plus I figured Glen Shiel was an opportunity to stock up on food so you don’t need to be carrying much before you get there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘5 day tour in Scotland, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.