Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 5 day hiking expedition…………….
  • sharki
    Free Member

……………with newly bust clavicle.

any alternatives to carrying kit?

mahosive rucksack may not help the healing!

BTW i can’t just sit on my arse for 5 weeks hoping i’m getting fixed!

If this is a barmy idea WTF else can i do to help the time pass?

snaps
    Free Member

When I ripped the ligements in my right forearm that stopped me riding in 2005 (couldn’t operate front brake) I took up speed hiking – scoped out some good MTB routes on foot while trying to maintain a 4mph average, really got to like it, did many of the high points of Exmoor, Dartmoor & a few peaks in S Wales.
    I was off the bike for 4 months & needed to keep my mind focused on keeping fit – it was really helpful in maintaining the lungs & legs for riding!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Hire a donkey to carry your stuff! You’re not far from Weston S Mare are you, I bet there’s loads there, waiting for summer. Then you could write a book about it.

sharki
    Free Member

Anna, the donkey would suffer by comparison every time i took a pee………………..
    Snaps, that’s my thinking but a conventional rucksac would be putting the load in the wrong place..

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

i’m just thinking the same as you sharki, i did my clavicle in the other day so looking at getting out walking a bit on dartmoor over easter, trouble is the bloody rucksacks arent goin to be too friendly to a healing collar bone.
    but cant face doing nothing for the next 6 weeks or so!

Stoner
    Free Member

what if you use a conventional rucksack but take most of the load on your hips and some on the left shoulder strap, dont put your right shoulder in the strap?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

sharki…you can tell me to eff off if you like, but having read your posts here and there << I am more than aware of your general predicament. Maybe you could spend the next few weeks finding somewhere to live??

Surely carrying any kind of weight with a broken collar-bone will affect your posture and put a strain on other muscles.
    It’s not as if you are some unfit bloke who can’t afford to have a few weeks rest.
    5 weeks off will only take you to the beginning May!! 8)

snaps
    Free Member

I bought a bumbag type thing that takes 2 500ml water bottles either side of the bag bit, easily fit waterproofs, energy bars & map in there & no weight on your shoulders.

druidh
    Free Member

Any proper backpacking rucksack should be fitted so that 90% of the weight is transferred directly onto the hip bones via the hip belt. The shoulder straps should be doing little more than steadying the load.

Sharki – you can get some fairly big “bum-bag” affairs – look for stuff by Salomon used for RAID events and you’ll see what I mean.

If you’re prepared to try bothying, you could cut down on the amount of weight you need to carry. Borrow some lightweight gear (cooker / sleeping bag etc) and you could be wandering around for weeks.

sharki
    Free Member

Foxychick.

i’m sorted now for somewhere to live thanks, so you can come down and stay with me soon 😉

I had 7 weeks off when i ripped my ACJ and that wasn’t good, but was at home with the ex wife and kids during the summer hols then, so was still keep entertained with them.

When i torn my knee ligs i built a trail so that was great and kept me focused on something.

Now i’m looking at least 5 weeks with owt to do and possibly more and want to spend that time well and not to waste it sat on my ass, dwelling on the shite that seems to surround me..

Stoner good idea, fizzle see on dartmoor for a walk and bivvy soon????

I know i should rest, but i’m me and i need to stay excessively active…

Si
    Free Member

Foxy_Chick he has found somewhere…

And Sharki you can thank me later… My bathroom still needs doin tho 😉

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Fair enough sharki…glad you’re sorted with accomm. 8)

Only you know what you are capable of on a day to day basis.

sharki
    Free Member

FoxyChick – Member
    Fair enough sharki…glad you’re sorted with accomm.

Only you know what you are capable of on a day to day basis.

like i said you can come down and stay with me now……..

FoxyChick
    Free Member

😳 8)

slugwash
    Free Member

WTF else can i do to help the time pass?…i can’t just sit on my arse for 5 weeks hoping i’m getting fixed!

Yes you can Sharki! Beg, borrow or hire a recumbent and spend the next few weeks exploring the flatter regions of Somerset.

sharki
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, there’s reasonable ground clearance, with some cx tyres there maybe potential!

snaps
    Free Member

Get yourself out around Lynmouth & walk some of those 1000ft hills on the coast path – like walking up 800 stairs in one hit – bloody great & some superb pubs!

cinnamon_girl

Hi sharki. I can sympathise with climbing the walls when injured. After I broke my collar bone, I went out walking (keen walker anyway), no rucksack obviously but TWO bumbags! One large one in the front and one large one at the back. Managed to take a flask of coffee, sandwiches, bottles of water, extra clothing, first aid kit etc etc and this was winter!!

Just need to make sure you’re fairly well balanced and be careful with stiles – no vaulting!

Get well soon!

sharki
    Free Member

My first wander would be here

knottie8
    Free Member

Shane
    Give it a chance to knit together first ! rest up for a couple of weeks then hike your arse off. I defo sure driving home from mine wasnt a good idea either …….. I’d be up for a hike sometime too.

trailmonkey

I tried a bit of hiking when my clav was mending. You’ll be suprised how much you use it when trying to balance. Bear in mind I was scouting out new d-mo boulder fields though. I wouldn’t rush into anything strenuous just yet.

sharki
    Free Member

Two weeks then and i’ll be heading on a round the sw trip from the tox, over exmoor then down to D-mor and the seaside by si’s, bit more than 5 days but i’ll see if it’s feasable in some daft way..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Come north and I’ll take you for a spin n the tandem 🙂 You can easily sit on the back with one arm in use.

boblo
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Come north and I’ll take you for a spin n the tandem You can easily sit on the back with one arm in use.

And no legs… More speed Jeeves….. 😆

You do your upper body a surprising amount when ou bumbling and stumbling. If you’re out in proper mountainy country, all it takes is a slip and you’ll know about it.

I’d be inclined to rest up for a few weeks then get back to training…

surfer
    Free Member

Sharki, what about dropping stuff off at key points along the route for you to pick up etc? Not sure if that is an option.

Even the lightest kit that you will need for more than a couple of days will be a struggle to carry without a haversack.

I sympathise with your need for activity. I once cut my own plaster off my leg (stress fracture) because I couldnt get about about! Stupid I know 😳

sharki
    Free Member

I’m gonna do it as cheap as possible, walk until i meet someone kind enough to offer me a meal and a cuppa, then move on…i’ll be like Lassie….

I’ll rest up for a couple more weeks before sodding off on my mission of self discovery….somewhere out there i’ll work out who the hell i’m meant to be and what i’m meant to be doing…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘5 day hiking expedition…………….’ is closed to new replies.