• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GEDA.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • $5 billion eh?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Interesting indeed.

Discussed with colleagues earlier- consensus was “sell at the peak”. I guess this means something is threatening their dominance?

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess this means something is threatening their dominance?

Agreed, where can they go from here that the money will help them achieve?

konabunny
    Free Member

I guess this means something is threatening their dominance?

Not necessarily – they might want money out to spend on strippers/houses/acquisitions in different companies/industries to spread risk.

GrahamS

Google+ is the only serious rival at the moment and so far that seems to have failed to catch people’s interest (though Facebook have cannily made some changes to nick some of the better features from Google+)

molgrips
    Free Member

Some folk are lucky aren’t they?

float
    Free Member

hes still not as good at riding as i am though 😀

derekrides
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Google+ is the only serious rival at the moment and so far that seems to have failed to catch people’s interest (though Facebook have cannily made some changes to nick some of the better features from Google+)

Big mistake google made not rolling that straight out and cashing in when interest was hot, I got in fairly soon only to enjoy a world of tumbleweed, it’s just beginning to develop some interesting feeds, but what with twitter and fb still working I think they may have missed out. It’s a much better system, I like the idea of the circles.

As to fb the big if is wether to buy and how soon to cash in..

vinnyeh

Not necessarily – they might want money out to spend on strippers/houses/acquisitions in different companies/industries to spread risk.

AOL. myspace. Yahoo. You blink, and the world changes. I’d want to cash my chips in.
    At the moment fb seems to have limited revenue generators- ads, and games.

GrahamS

It’s a much better system, I like the idea of the circles

Yep.

But then FB rolled out Lists and the ability to follow people/feeds without friending them – which is essentially what Google were offering.

molgrips
    Free Member

Part of the appeal of FB for me though is that I get all sorts of posts that I would not get if everyone restricted their posts to the relevant circles. This interests me, and more than makes up for the amount of teenager spam I get.

scuzz
    Free Member

At the moment fb seems to have limited revenue generators- ads, and games

It’s not so limited when it has the potential to deliver ads and games to everyone in the world
    Edit: I agree with the rest of what you’re saying, though.

transapp
    Free Member

hes still not as good at riding as i am though

With £5bn, I’d guess Mark Zuckerberg can ride pretty much anyone he wants!

GEDA
    Free Member

Has anyone stated to make an open source social network? I know they probably sell your data to other people but how many people actually even look at the adverts on FB? Maybe Ad buster blocks them but never remember them anyway.

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe Ad buster blocks them but never remember them anyway.

There are ads on Facebook? AdBlocker is certainly worth the money. I can only assume that enough people do click through otherwise it wouldn’t be worth their while.

GEDA
    Free Member

Yep checked on Chrome “Adverts”, Firefox none. Is google + really complicated or am I just stupid. Anybody got a quick guide how to use it? I like FB though. Trying to promote myself as an artist so I did a page of my cartoons/drawing. The black and white world of George Davy

sas
    Free Member

Has anyone stated to make an open source social network?

http://diasporaproject.org/
    The problem for any new social network is getting a critical mass of regular users.

GEDA
    Free Member

That looks good. Like how you can cross post.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Some folk are lucky aren’t they?

It’s funny, the harder people work the luckier they get 😀

GEDA
    Free Member

Actually its not about how hard you work. That is an illusion. Lots of people work really hard but get paid very rubbish money. I would say opportunity, good examples, connections, and luck are a big part of anyone getting rich.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I would say opportunity, good examples, connections, and luck are a big part of anyone getting rich.

That ^ and nicking yer college mate’s ideas helps too…

donsimon
    Free Member

That ^ and nicking yer college mate’s ideas helps too…

That’s the opportunity bit, isn’t it? They had the idea and did nothing with it. Losers! 😆

andyl
    Free Member

maybe all the American stuff has them worried about being shut down or even locked up and it’s not the threat of a competitor that is making them sell.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Actually its not about how hard you work. That is an illusion. Lots of people work really hard but get paid very rubbish money. I would say opportunity, good examples, connections, and luck are a big part of anyone getting rich.

Yes they are a good part of getting rich, but having the drive to do it and actually making it happen takes a certain type of person. I’m clearly not that type of person. I don’t think it’s an illusion though, you do always have to work hard to *make* yourself rich, but that doesn’t mean if you work hard you WILL become rich.

GEDA
    Free Member

I think you are wrong. There are plenty of very rich people in the city that have just got rich through going to the right school and having a bit of luck. There are plenty of people who work in the NHS,care or in schools that have drive and work really hard but are poor.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘$5 billion eh?’ is closed to new replies.