Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 5 bikes stolen, :( now need to start again! Review your security and privacy!
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I had 5 bikes stolen on Monday in one hit, along with all my lights, tyres and spares.
    I thought I had my security sorted.
    Electric railing gates with spikes, security lights and many locks.
    As like many of you building up your bikes and kit over years takes time and money.
    I have been wiped out and targeted in one hit.
    These where my family’s race bikes and fun bikes.
    I am now reviewing my security, CCTV being fitted in the next few days etc.
    I’m sure you all are careful but please check your own security, social media and where you post pictures, check all your privacy settings. I thought I had!
    I have posted pictures etc all over the place in for sale ads and to help others, I believe this is how I’ve been targeted. I’m blaming myself.
    Its not pleasant watching your son’s be upset losing there pride and joy to skum bags and being scared to sleep in their own rooms!
    I have a fight now with Insurance company but hopeful.
    I will have to re-build and buy bikes on a budget.
    I will be posting plenty of wanted ads! 🙂
    Be careful, there is all ways someone watching!

sb88
    Free Member

Horrible. Good luck.

kayak23

😥

philmccrackin
    Free Member

my dad and stepmother who live in a fancy west london apartment block were liberated of all their bikes this week too. they have a secure underground garage you need a fob to open and is supposedly cctv monitored by the concierge. inside the garage there are key-coded bike cages, and the bikes were d-locked to cast in bike stands inside them!! so somehow they manged to get in, open the cage, chop up the bike stand with an angle grinder and help themselves to 3 roadbikes and 3 mtb in one go without being noticed!! madness

Tracey

Feel for you. We were targeted last summer, clocked unloading the camper after our Alps trip, and still not got over it. Ours were taken in daylight with our daughter in the house. Police reacted very quickly but didn’t catch them. We thought we had good security but it didn’t make any difference. Alarm and CCTV didn’t put them off. Insurance company and Wheelies were first class. Replaced new for old on a S Works Enduro and Stumpjumper.

BFITH
    Free Member

I feel your pain….. 😥

hopefiendboy

Sorry to hear that. Gutted for you.

Hope you had insurance

jim25

Terrible news.

I was once told by an ex thief that he would generally only target garages and sheds that have clearly had a lot of effort put in to making them secure, big fancy looking padlocks and bolts as such. As that way he knew there was something in there that someone didn’t won’t to loose.

quintet100
    Free Member

If they want it they will have it.
    Currently also having a fabricated bar system built for door.
    Only problem is that there are no bikes in there to steal at the minute.

TiRed

I’ll see your five and raise you two 🙁 . If your garage has a door to the house, it is a burglary not a theft and deemed much more serious. Our insurance (RSA) was very good and required no receipts, just a few photos. I made a breakdown spreadsheet of every bike with every accessory – right down to replaced inner tubes and bottle cages. This was used for valuation of my beloved and impossible to replace Merlin.

There is no prospect of it happening a second time.

quintet100
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s outbuildings.
    Spreadsheet is in place.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So sorry to hear this, scumbags.

lowey

I do think that if someone is hard faced enough and decide they want your stuff, there is little you can do.

I have steel posts cast into the concrete slab of my garage with Kryptonite New York locks securing the bike. Even that would be defeated with a Stihl Saw in a matter of moments.

Feel your pain after having my pride and joy nicked years ago. Hope you get sorted with the insurance company.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s shit. We were done a few weeks ago. No social media gumpf but a few for sale and wanted ads. Arseholes. The bikes live in the house now.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s the not really knowing how they came to target you that’s one of the worst things, I thought.

benp1

Gutted for you

Did you put your address in the for sale ads? Or did they contact you for it?

fossy

We’ve had two attempts on my garage. First took time to remove a window pane (wood frame) after trying to remove glass from the side door but the bars were obvious from the outside (the door is also barred shut). Second time was ‘yoofs’ trying to saw into a hasp lock and jemmy the main up and over – made a racket and I woke up.

Since then locks on the up and over have been added but the expensive bikes were already ground anchored.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Electric railing gates with spikes, security lights and many locks.

Possibly makes it more attractive to the professional thieves. More obviously something to nick.

Anyway, was in a shed/garage I take it. Don’t have to answer that, but bike thieves are more comfortable with such targets as it’s not breaking & entering a residential property. Less risk of coming across people and far less of a crime to the police so even if caught it’s barely a slap on the wrist compared to breaking into a house.

If determined enough though they’ll find a way.

Oh, and most probably know this already, but worth saying again that Strava is actively used to target bikes. Use privacy zones around the house if you ride from home and set them in various spots near the house overlapping, not centred on the house as you can work out the centre of a zone. Also, don’t put the names of your bikes in your bike profile. Easy to search for expensive bikes, see where they are ridden, sit in a car park waiting for them to be loaded or unloaded and nick them while not looking, or follow home. Same goes for bike photos attached to rides. Use enhanced privacy, careful about who you let follow, don’t join Strava clubs. Even then, anything on a leaderboard can be viewed even with privacy on.

Or just don’t use Strava 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Top tip would be also don’t write on the internet your security measures.

quintet100
    Free Member

Cheers chaps.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Gutted for you buddy.

I had six bikes stolen last year; they were able to get the locked up and over door open without too much fuss and got all six bikes out, down the drive past our cars without waking anyone up or being spotted. They even took out little one’s balance bike. Nothing ever turned up. AXA were brilliant to deal with though.

Nothing turned up for sale though.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Huge condolences OP. ): Hopefully everything will be okay with the insurance.

They even took out little one’s balance bike

I really can’t comprehend the mindset of someone who would do this. It baffles me.

granny_ring

The bastids.

atrthanks
    Free Member

1. Restore all the visible security
    2. Post on social media that you’ve replaced the bikes with new and more expensive ones
    3. Put a sign in the (empty) shed saying “suckers”

At least you’ll get a chuckle out of it when they break back in 🙂

guglielmo
    Free Member

So sorry to hear man, so many scumbags about

goslow

My garage was recently broken in to and some items stolen although they failed in getting through the chain holding the bikes. The garage is not attached to my property and is in a separate block. It was classed as burglary and the police did make arrests and recover some items.
    The youngest offender got a caution. Another 150 hours of community service, a fine and ordered to pay me compensation. The police are sometimes successful! 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘5 bikes stolen, :( now need to start again! Review your security and privacy!’ is closed to new replies.