• This topic has 69 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 5-10 shoes: worth the cash?
  • jedi

i'll look in my lbs when i go there in a bit. what size?

GW
    Free Member

onceinalifetime – Member
    Etnies are THE WORST you could wear as they are harder than a hard thing.

Yes, truely awful! 🙄

GW
    Free Member

UK 10, Ta. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

lol@etnies being worse pmsl 🙂

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

lol @ Jedi and GW thinking they know best! 😡

😆

philfive
    Free Member

I love my five ten freerides, great grip and I agree can be very grippy. Miles better than the skate shoes I have used and haven't fallen apart.

Shoes are very personal, buy what feels best and suits your style, if you like to move around a lot get something with moderate grip levels. If your a peddler, then grippy is the best.

yunki
    Free Member

What did people used to wear on their feet in the old days…?
    How do bmx riders manage..?

I'm not going out on my bike until they invent something better than 5.10's just in case they aren't grippy enough..

That said… The waffle sole is starting to come away on my Vans.. I'm interested in the 5.10 re-soleing service.. does anyone have experience of it..?

Northwind

Worth the money? Well, they're certainly not good value, the standard of construction is about equal to a £25 supermarket trainer. You're paying far too much for the sticky sole and the name IMO. I really liked mine while they lasted but they started falling apart in about 4 different ways after one scottish winter- not helped by the fact that they take so long to dry out I'm sure. No matter what else you can say about them there's no way you should find a carbon insole in a £75 shoe…

Now, AM40s… Better made, better materials, better weather resistance… And you have the option of adjusting the sole stiffness too. Also the insole and footbed are properly removable to help dry them out when they're wet, which is a bonus. Less clumpy than Impacts. Every bit as hideous, just in a different way. Cheaper too. But, I have to give in to the fanboys on one point, they don't have the same grip, but that doesn't mean they lack grip at all of course- 5 10s have far more than you need, AM40s just have much more than you need.

I ride a lot in an ancient pair of Vans too, and they're excellent riding shoes, but they're a bit flexier than I like and they don't have any toe protection or similiar. They seem to last forever too, these ones were too clapped out to wear to the pub so I retired them onto bike duties, they've seen more miles than my 5 10s managed since despite being halfway worn out before they ever touched a pedal, and they're still not dead. Fab.

Bottom line is, if there was no AM40 I'd be perfectly happy with 5 10s. If there was no AM40 or 5 10s I'd be perfectly happy with my Vans. But I ride in Caterpillar trailboots sometimes and those work fine too so, I don't get too hung up on it.

_tom_
    Free Member

Vans are good and mine were only 25 quid new from ebay. They are pretty chunky looking and quite ugly though.

jam-bo

i've got a pair of the original impacts, they've lasted so long the soles are starting to get a bit thin. they do soak up water like a sponge but I've been really impressed. never sure why people get funny about the insoles as mine have never caused a problem.

got a pair of their approach shoes. seem to be lasting/wearing really well.

probably get some impact 2's when the originals finally give up the ghost.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I love my 510's (Marzocchi Merch version) – they've done about a year including winter/wet rides and are in decent nick, they aren't cheap but I think on balance they are worth it as I tend to trash skate shoes on the pedals fairly quickly.

Grimy
    Free Member

510's are very good, insnaely gripy, I dont have any issues with the card getting wet despite a 3 hour bike hike through 2ft of snow at inerleithan last october, they stayed dry and toasty all day. They are awkward to adjust on the pedels, and a little warm in the summer, if not complete overkill for my local pub crawl ride.

I also have a pair of Animal Herston skate shoes which are more apropriate for less agressive riding. If I didnt own a pair of 510's id use them quite happily for everything. They come with some hideous bright yellow laces too, if I should ever feel the need to look like even more of fashon disaster! lol

MSP

I found the 5:10 sam hills to be quite a bit better than the standard impacts, for fit and comfort, I found the one sided tounge thing to be crap on the standard ones, and with the better footbed well worth the extra tenner.
    They are the only cycling specific flat shoes I have used, other than that I used salomon and north face trail running shoes which where perfectly adequate grip wise, but certainly didn't have the grip of the 5:10's and the more flexible soles caused foot pain after a while.
    The thing with the grip is when going downhill and generally being more rad and grrrrrr, they where all fine, its when actually pedalling that the extra grip provided by the 5:10's really shines

MSP

and the thing with the 5:10 soles is that they are made from the same rubber as climbing shoes, so when you first place your foot you can quickly readjust your foot position, but after a while they take purchase and grip much more to the pedal, I don't know how that relates to the durometer figures given, it may just be the way different rubber consistencies work or if there is more clever science going on.

DarrenH

I've been using 5.10 freeriders for about 6 months now
    and have to say that I love em.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I am thinking about these Shimano MP66s, but actually for SPDs:

jedi

gw, no calicuts. but culicuts have the etnies original sole 🙂 as do other models

jedi

excuse spelling as i may have had a pint 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

I cant comment on 5,10's as never owned any , That said I got a pair of Nike 6.0's about 3 months ago and they have been ace . My wife then bought me a pair of D.C Rob Drydek Specials for my birthdays which I have found to be no where near as good. I'd love 5.10's but they are so expensive I'd rather have shoes I can wear to knock about In when Im not biking at half the cost.

devs
    Free Member

have heard that 5-10's are a bit like sponges in the winter & fall apart.

There are a lot of opinions of 5:10s from people that have never tried them. They are the best bit of bike kit I ever bought. My original impacts are on their 4th year of year round Scottish and Welsh riding and refuse to fall apart. I wish they would because then I could bring out the blingier black and white ones I bought in a sale last year to replace them. As for drying out – a disposable nappy or puppy pad inside for about 8 hours and then next to the radiator or in the conservatory and they are dry in a day. Simples. In snow, merino sealskinz and 5:10s is the toastiest bestest option ever! I've got Vans and DCs and they just don't come close. The grip is no where near, especially in the wet, they flex too much and the soles are too thin. On big days you really feel the pedal pins on the soles of your feet. You do look cooler, however, but then again wearing some clogs or clowns feet would be cooler than the original impacts.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Bought 5.10s as a nervous newbie to flatties and was totally underwhelmed. No more grip than my worn-out waffle soled Vans, and the biggest negative for me was the stiff sole meant no feel. You had to assume you had decent contact with the pedal. Might not bother other people but after 18yrs riding spds I have struggled to regain the same level of confidence with flats, and being able to feel the pedals under my feet is/was a big factor. I like the feeling of my shoes bending "around" the pedal. And no theyre not too soft, Ive done all-day XC rides with no foot ache. Having wide feet I also struggled with the one-sided tongue design offering enough coverage.

AM40s apparently come with a sole insert so you can tune the shoe stiffness to suit. May give some a try at some point but they have to offer a lot of added value in other departments (ankle protection, lace cover etc) to beat 20 quid a time Vans.

VanHalen

my am40 soles are knackered and i only use em for proper riding (not commuting liek all my other shoes i have had) – lasted 1 winter and the uppers are coming unstitched – i dont even ride that much any more. but i move my feet about alot which doesnt help. thinking about getting em re-soled as i quite like em but hte price of re-soles is fairly prohibitively expensive.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Skate shoes do the job if you're on a budget but 5:10s are a mile better.

I used to use vans, etines DC etc but the grip on the 5:10s is another level up entirely, anyone who says they're not grippier need their heads read.

I like the stiff soles as you feel like all your power (pretty meagre in my case) is being transmitted to the pedal, I always found skate shoes a bit soft, better foot protection from the 5:10s too.

My 5:10s have lasted three years now and still going strong, they seem very well made, only downside is they soak up water, but sealskins socks are a must in the winter whatever shoe you're riding with.

GW
    Free Member

Cheers for looking Jedi, I still have 3 pairs in various states of wear and saw other Etnies with the same sole so I'l just need to see if any of them come stealth enough for my taste 😉 failing that I can always order custom, my daughter has been pestering me for custom (probably as tasteless as MrNutts DCs) calicuts for ages so I better get her some anyway

GW
    Free Member

A wee history lesson

5:10 first made riding shoes for intense team DH riders back towards the end of the '90s then a little later be sold them the public. they were as sought after as Comp 16s by savvy DH racers everywhere. Intense discontinued them a few years later but there was an outcry from DHers to re-introduce them a few more years passed and 5:10 finally listened and realising how popular they were made their own brand version. fast forward another few years and the same sole Kovarik used to destroy everyone on a very wet aanoch mor (probably the roughest WC track at the time) by a massive 14 seconds can now be seen ridden tentatively at every trail centre in the country by nervous mincers who rarely ever seem to stand up on their pedals never mind attack a corner.

Why folk think they need that level of grip for XC (same with DH compound tyres) baffles me.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Had my 5:10s for a couple of winters – good bit of kit, nice and warm when combined with sealskins – I always hose them down after a winter ride, just pop them on a radiator and they're dry in no time!

Northwind

GW – Member

"Why folk think they need that level of grip for XC (same with DH compound tyres) baffles me."

I think a lot of people benefit from it tbh. Just not neccesarily for the right reasons, if you've got crap footwork then more grip can seem essential when actually, what they should be doing is improving their technique. But I'd bet money there are plenty of people out there who really do need that grip for the way they ride, and who'd have problems if they were to switch to a less grippy shoe. No different from people who think you need SPDs because otherwise you get shaken off the bike 😉

GW
    Free Member

yeah, the world's full of "special" people

jam-bo

I guess I should send back my supertacky tyres if grip is considered a bad thing….

devs
    Free Member

Why folk think they need that level of grip for XC (same with DH compound tyres) baffles me.

Grubscrews in the shin hurt no matter what kind of rider you are. Do people who used to ride DH races get better plasters for the cuts too?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘5-10 shoes: worth the cash?’ is closed to new replies.