• This topic has 69 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • 5-10 shoes: worth the cash?
  • Grapefruit
    Free Member

Hi all,
    In need of some new shoes for riding with flat pedals as my converse hi-tops are now all but shredded. Trouble is that money has to stretch to meet a number of demands. I've heard good things about 5-10's but are they really worth the money (buy cheap and buy twice)? Or are there reasonable alternatives that will save me a few quid and not compromise too much? I'm liking the idea of some ankle support (and protection if poss) but, don't live too near any 5-10 stockists so can't get out to try a pair. Currently thinking between –

A: 5-10 impact hi (look like the puppy's plums, seen a pair for £72 on moose cycles website)
    B: Shimano AM40 (cheaper than 5-10's but is there enough ankle support?)
    C: Another pair of converse (to hell with the "right" equipment: They're cheap, cover the ankle and look good)
    D: Other?

Apologies if this topic has been covered before but could do with the benefit of others' experience.

thanks in advance

akira

Nike do their 6.0 range in a mid version, can be picked up for £50 or less and are very good on the bike.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

5-10 shoes: worth the cash?

YES.

Grapefruit
    Free Member

Tidy! thanks Akira. Will check them out. How do the nike's cope with the autumn/winter?

Anyone else got any thoughts on 5-10's and alternatives?

Jimbo
    Free Member

No. Not when Shimano's better-made, just-as-comfy, nigh-on-as-grippy, just-as-ugly AM40 can be had for £60.

ahwiles
    Free Member

"not enough support from AM40's"

you're not really meant to fit them with crampons and go ice-climbing…

5:10's are very grippy, perhaps too grippy*, they have a footbed made from paper – don't get them wet, cos they'll rot.

(*often with flat pedals, you'll put your foot in not-quite-the-right position, and a minor correction of position is necessary, i found 5:10's so grippy that this was almost impossible)

sillyoldman

AM40's are a better wet weather option. Not as much of a sponge as the 5-10's.

peachos
    Free Member

have heard that 5-10's are a bit like sponges in the winter & fall apart.

£20 TK Maxx skate shoes for me…do the job just fine.

akira

Nike's seem to last pretty well, mine are reasonably old and have been soaked and covered in mud in several countries and seem to come out all right after being hosed down.

Grapefruit
    Free Member

Helpful thoughts there all – thanks (particularly the "too grippy" point)

Looks like Shimano/Nike could be the way to go to save a few quid and get the job done. I've heard the shimano sizing is on the small side though. I'm a "broad" size 11 – worth going for the next size up? (especially if mail order)

Would I just be being a cheapskate to go for another pair of converse?

Onzadog
    Free Member

They are made of cardboard which is a bit disapointing. I make an effort to not get mine too wet and I've very careful about drying them out. Comfy and super grippy but time will tell how durable they are. I might look elsewhere next time although mine are working fine right now although they don't get worn that often (mostly ride with spd pedals)

joemarshall
    Free Member

If your converse are All Stars type of thing, then they are really bad compared to a skate shoe. If you want to go cheap, then get whatever skate shoe that you can get at TK Maxx, rather than Converse.

Joe

Grapefruit
    Free Member

Thanks joemarshall – I have been wearing the allstar type. Maybe that explains all the marks on my shins from the pedal pins.

Seems like the consensus is that 5-10's may work for some but that they're a bit overhyped and disappointing to others? Think I'll save a few quid and go for the shims or nike's.

cheers all!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i've got wide feet, and usually find that shimano shoes are too narrow.

AM40's are fine though…

(they are a bit small, if you usually get a size euro44, i'd suggest going for the 45)

thepurist

I've been riding the AM40s for about a month – as per ahwiles, size wise they don't seem as tight as Shimano's disco-slippers but I still went up a size to leave plenty of room for winter socks. Plenty more grip than my old Vans – can still reposition my feet though, but it takes a bit more conscious effort than it did with the Vans.

MrNutt
    Free Member

got a pair of these

tkmaxx, you'll get em for about £30 and as good as 5:10's IMHO

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There is no way the grip on a DC (or any skate shoe for that matter) is as good as a 5:10 sole.

I've got a pair of the original Sam Hill ones, they must be nearly 4 years old now & they are starting to fall apart, not bad considering the sh*t fest I seem to be plagued with in racing in wet weather over the years.

I haven't tried the Shimano ones, but somehoe they have managed to make a shoe more hideous than a 5:10, which is an achievement in its own right. I have some Nike's for casual wear & have ridden in them on occasions & they have been pretty good. Sole is a bit bendy though.

peachos
    Free Member

agree on the 5.10 overhyped thing.

also try considering low cut hiking boots. i've got a pair of karrimor that i wear. reasonably grippy. apparently have a waterproof lining – they don't keep my feet dry but haven't fallen apart yet. were cheap as chips too.

Grapefruit
    Free Member

Them's some funky trainers you got going on there Mr Nutt. Don't think my wife would allow those bad boys in the house.

Problem solved – ordered some AM40's for £57 from CRC – gone up to a size 12.

Flippin' 'eck – with these shoes and the knee pads, new tyre and skills course for the Mrs all coming out of this month's pay (and a list as long as my arm for the next few months) MTB'ing is not the cheapest pastime in the world is it!

peachos
    Free Member

There is no way the grip on a DC (or any skate shoe for that matter) is as good as a 5:10 sole.

another bitten by the hype machine…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

another bitten by the hype machine…

Not really, have ridden in skate shoes and 5:10's over the last 6 years, if you can't tell the difference, something is wrong.

davidrussell
    Free Member

call it hype if you want but i'd recommend the 5:10's over skate shoes or the shimanos any day of the week. I think the 5:10's are really well made, significantly tougher in the heel and toe area and can take an absolute pasting (mine have survived 3 scottish winters to date)

plus i find the sole not only grippier on the pedal but on most types of rock too (handy when in the mountains doing hike a bike) They are also more comfy to walk in than SPD shoes.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member

maybe, but if anything, i found 5:10's too grippy*.

(*for me. a more skillful rider would be more able to get their foot in the right place first time)

oh, and Dave; AM40's aren't SPD…

i think highly of 5:10 impacts, but mine fell apart rather too quickly. i replaced them with AM40's because they were cheaper and other people seemed to like them.

when my AM40's die**, i'll probably try something else.

(**2 years in and no sign of it yet – if anything, they've just worn in)

i really like the optional sole-stiffener thingy you get with AM40's.

Grapefruit
    Free Member

All things aside – sometimes money just rules the day.

robidoo
    Free Member

+1 hob nob
    I have used vans,dc and airwalk all good shoes but they don't grip as well as my 5/10's.
    Having said that they are ugly,a git to dry out and my sole has started to peel away so I may try something else next time.

grumm
    Free Member

I forgot to take my 5.10s to scotland last week and had to wear some £30 Duffs from TK Maxx – not quite the same but pretty good actually.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

hobnob and davidrussell +1.

Never had a problem repositioning my feet in my 5:10's. If you want 5:10's for a bit less cash go for the Freeriders. They've got some gopping colours that are almost as horrible as Shimanos on offer at CRC for about £50 IIRC. Other outlets are available

chvck
    Free Member

I was of the opinion that there was no way 5.10s could be grippier than my generic flat soled shoes. That was until I got a pair of 5.10s, they really are very grippy! I find mine really comfortable and will probably buy another pair if mine wear out.

I do sometimes get the repositioning issue but only on really bumpy stuff that's pretty steep so I don't really want to move my feet if they get bumped, and it doesn't happen often.

That said, I haven't tried them through a winter season yet so don't know how well they last through the wet!

MrNutt
    Free Member

what is the durometer reading of 5:10 soles?

on the DC's its:

55 on the toes
    58 on the midsole
    62 on the heel

edit: google says 5:10's are 50-55 durometer

so they'll be pretty much as grippy as the DC's, but the DC's have smaller "nobs" making up the sole compared to the five ten "circles" which would imply that they fit the pins better?

ether way there really isn't that much difference, except in price as far as I can see

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

I have a pair of Basics
    The heavy canvass material took ages to break in and hurt like hell, it wanted to fold in funny ways and pinched my toes.
    after about 2 weeks perseverence they broke in and I have barely taken them off since.
    I usually ride SPDs but the times I have ridden flats I have been well impressed with how they grip – As a SPDer I rarey adjust my feet much, but when I have to it is tricky – but once in the right place they stay put so its no real hardship.

robidoo
    Free Member

MrNutt it's not just abiut the 'nobs' its down to the rubber that 5/10 use, grippy as a grippy thing.

chamley
    Free Member

Ditto with the basics. Got a pair in January and they pinched on one foot for a couple of weeks but fine since then.

Been using them for commuting everyday, bmx track once a week plus the odd bit of xc every so often and they're still in one piece, no rotting or falling apart.

I didn't like the grip at first but you work how to adjust your feet quickly. I wouldn't have anything else now, plus the new version look great

GW
    Free Member

shoes should look good so no they are not worth the cash… and even for £30, Mr Nutt's DCs 😯

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

@MrNutt, Those are some nice DC's, I have some Spartan highs but would like to add that they don't come close to the grip of the 5.10's highs that I have which seem to be lasting well.

Had one of the 1st batch and they didn't last that well but they saw walking, climbing, biking and snow etc so not bad atall.

As for the correcting position on the pedals with the 5.10's, your damn right but takes a second to do if your sharpish so no real worries.

GET SOME!

😛

#EDIT#

@GW – let me guess, you ride dh in flippies ❓ 😮

jedi

etnies,emerica are my pick to wear.
    dc feel too cheaply made .
    i like stiffish sole and grip is not that important as i slide my feet around alot 🙂

GW
    Free Member

WTF are flippies? 😕

I wear black Etnies Calicut for DH. or for just riding in dry(ish) conditions whatever Etnies/vans (got around 10-12 pairs)I happen to be wearing that day. today it was Etnies Lo-cals

jedi

good call on calicuts 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Jedi – I had a few pairs of emericas years ago too (liked them but haven't seen them in shops for a while). ?Ta for reminding me, think I'll take a wee look at their range now.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Etnies are THE WORST you could wear as they are harder than a hard thing.

Good stiff soles mind.

oh and flippies are the hip name for flipflops silly.

GW
    Free Member

You seen Black Calicuts anywhere recently? I asked in a few shops a while ago and they didn't. But Etnies will custom make you Calicuts (8 w any design colour you want for $70 online (it's about a n 8 week wait then shipping gtime tho)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘5-10 shoes: worth the cash?’ is closed to new replies.