• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 4yr epic family van trip
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

This looks awesome and something to aspire to. Would love to hear more details of the logistics of setting something like this up.

Anyone done anything remotely similar?

DickBarton

What looks awesome? Or is the only detail in the title? If so, as long as it wasn’t a VW van, then it would be great as I’d need a bit of space at times in that 4 years.

Marin
    Free Member

Did 10 years with a rucsac if that counts.

alishand

Bumped into the very same truck on a tight single track road in the north west of Scotland not two weeks ago. It’s HUGE, and not exactly the best kind of roaming transport for those kind of roads!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Marin yes it does and Chapeau

nickjb
    Free Member

Only 4 years… http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-40978859/family-still-loving-17-year-world-tour

17 years with 4 kids born along the way

Logistically speaking these epic trips don’t take loads of panning because you can’t plan it all. Lots of changing plans on the fly, meeting random people who can help you or point you in a new direction. Occasionally heading back where you cane from when you realise your well thought out plan isn’t possible.

AlexSimon

Singles and couples don’t count – too easy! 🙂

pondo

Like – ace, definitely, but does that have an effect on their kids? Do they even know how to make friends? Kevin McCloud did a series about ultimate get-away-from-it-all houses, tropical islands and suchlike, and whilst I’d love to do something like that or this trip, I’d be tempted to wait until the kids are old enough to fly the nest so they can choose whether or not to come and when to go.

AlexSimon

but does that have an effect on their kids? Do they even know how to make friends?

I only did 6 months, and know a family that did it for 12, but it has an immeasurably positive effect on kids and their ability to do almost anything – especially make friends.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If sticking to paved roads I would go with something like a family on YouTube from NZ have. A converted coach. Buslife NZ or similar.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Do they even know how to make friends? Kevin McCloud did a series about ultimate get-away-from-it-all houses

Probably depends on whether they are interacting with new people every day or in some isolated spot with no other humans

Rubber_Buccaneer

A converted coach

How about a trip to Athens on a converted double decker bus? We could all go on a summer holiday 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

I have the time and the money and no inclination. A few weeks on the road is enough for me. After five weeks cycle camping with junior when he was 7, he asked to go home, so we did. When we did Compostelle with him at 17 he caught the bus back home to see his mates after 500km. We lived in a T2 for a year in 90/91 when you could park almost anywhere, I haven’t been a great fan of van living since.

pondo

I only did 6 months, and know a family that did it for 12, but it has an immeasurably positive effect on kids and their ability to do almost anything – especially make friends.

Well, fair play then. 🙂

Probably depends on whether they are interacting with new people every day or in some isolated spot with no other humans

They were “build a house on an island no-one’s ever set foot on before”, “45 minute boat-ride to the neighbours” sort of things. Given a big enough supply of books, I’d have loved them but I might have been a bit bored if me mum and dad had packed us off there as kids.

Andy_K

Love a MAN truck, must get round to buying the Lego one…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Seems a bit selfish of the parents to me

Mowgli
    Free Member

Seems a bit selfish of the parents to me

How so? For not conforming to the norm? They must be minted to afford to do it. But they’ve given their kids more good experiences than 4 years sat at home on their iphones with pots of cash would have done.

simmy
    Free Member

Are these people just minted or do they work remotely on the road ?

Suppose years ago it could have been travelling from one place to another bouncing between casual / seasonal work

TheBrick
    Free Member

Must be minted. I don’t think you can really do much more than earn pocket money on the road. Truck most be very expensive too.

AlexSimon

In the 6 months I was on the road I earned 4k (cost of trip – including costs incurred at home – was 12k).

I could easily have earned more (doing the same job as I’ve done for 12 years now), but that wasn’t the point of the trip.

So it is probably doable. But in a lot of these cases, I think they are just minted 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i work with a lad who worked till he was 30 . sold the house and spent 3 years touring europe in an old sierra wit his wife.

made me wonder how long i could spend on the road with my savings while cycling 😀

Decided i couldnt face coming back to nothing.

As for planning.

Ive done a couple of longish trips up to 6 months

I always find that if you plan too much its too easy to get disenheartened by failure to meet your own expectations either by your own doing or external forces….

spectabilis
    Free Member

Ive been following these guys on Facebook nearly 3years Argentina to Alaska.
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/Pandilea/

nickjb
    Free Member

Must be minted

possibly in the op but the zapp family I linked to aren’t. My dad did a few year+ trips with his partner. They paid for it by renting their house out. Not a fortune but enough to pay for fuel, visas, park fees and the occasional hotel.

Dickyboy

Friend of mine did about 4yrs sailing round the world with young family with four kids, home schooling the works, back on solid ground she now loves the fact that in the morning her kitchen is exactly where she left it the night before.
    A more extreme example, argentinian couple been on the road 17yrs & kids were born en route…
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-40978859/family-still-loving-17-year-world-tour

Marin
    Free Member

I reckon I lived on about 6 grand a year from 96 to 06 whilst travelling. It’s more of a mind set and attitude to life than worrying about if you can afford it. It’s easy to find work on the road if you just need to earn money. I had no regular vehicle or kids though. I think kids would make it more difficult but be amazing for them. I had some of my best times and worst times on the road. If you are a personality type that needs meticulous planning and control I’d say probably not for you.

ctk
    Free Member

We’ve got something similar planned. An epic 4 weeks camping trip in France next summer holidays- cant wait 😉

Ford Focus with a roof box likely transport- as I said EPIC!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think earning enough to support yourself is easy but not a family and big expensive lorry.

Marin
    Free Member

Finally managed to watch the link and as they spent 18 years planning that’s plenty of time to save up. Hurray for them.

fossy

My best man used to bugger off either on foot or on his bike for 3 or 4 months at a time after University. He then worked hard, managed to buy his modest house, but he wasn’t married, so sold everything, left a well paid job, and then rented his house out. He now travels the world on his Thorn tourer (26″ wheels and Marathon Tour Plus tyres) with Shimano XT and has lived off the rental income. He has been just about everywhere, and isn’t in a rush. He keeps bumping into other folk that are doing similar, but bumps into them months later in remote parts of the world.

The bike has been massively reliable, and hasn’t suffered the damage my commute bike did riding in bloody Manchester every day.

If he needs parts, he will stop over for a few days and order from Wiggle/CRC etc as shipping is fast. He was even ordering parts from the UK when he was staying local to Shimano factories.

Sounds amazing.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘4yr epic family van trip’ is closed to new replies.