Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • 4×4 with estate-sized boot
  • Brown
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist?

I could do with 4wd for work. As this isn’t particularly well paid work I could also do with not spending too much and keeping running costs as sensible as they can be. I could also do with a decent (estate car) sized boot, which I’d like to be secure, so pick ups don’t particularly appeal.

Also been considering small vans with limited off-road capability, like Berlingos, which you can get with limited slip diffs. Dunno if they’ll get me where I need to go though.

Any thoughts?

iainc

what about an older 4×4 estate, Octavia Scout type thing ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

[stw]Skoda Octavia Scout 4×4[/stw]

Rickos
    Free Member

Plenty. What’s your budget? I’ve been looking at the same thing ready for next year.

Honda CRV
    Nissan X Trail

To name two. Tiguan and Kuga do seem to gave smaller boots, although not so sure about the newer models.

Bregante

Volvo xc70
    Audi A6 Allroad
    VW Passat equivalent of the Allroad (edit:it’s called an Alltrack apparently)

Brown
    Free Member

Budget is probably around 4k.

Something like a scout or Volvo might work if I can get one with sensible mileage for that, but I’m not sure that’s possible. Any idea how capable they are off road?

I wasn’t that impressed with the boot space of an X Trail, but I’ve not seen one with the seats down. Maybe I should have another look.

Brown
    Free Member

Forgot to mention – I could do with being able to tow a tonne or so (probably only on road though).

nickjb
    Free Member

If you need a lot of boot space the how about a Mitsubishi Delica. £4k will get you a very good L400, £2k for something pretty decent. I can get 8×4 sheets in mine, or a full size bed for weekends away. Properly capable off road (good ground clearance and locking centre diff) but a bit thirsty.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Subaru outback.
    Mitsubishi outlander (s-awc)
    Year depending on budget

maccruiskeen

What work are you doing and what are you using for work at the moment and in what ways is it not coping?

jimjam
    Free Member

An Outback would be ideal if you’re not doing massive miles.

Brown
    Free Member

A Delica would be great (apart from the fuel consumption), but I’ve never seen any that I can afford Maybe I’ve not looked hard enough.

Need to get up farm tracks and then wet grassy hills. Currently in a Skoda Fabia with winter tyres. You can probably guess how it’s not coping.

Northwind

Delica for lots of offroad capability maybe? Outback for car-that-can-do-a-bit.

Brown
    Free Member

I’ll look at Delicas again. The guy I’m currently working with has an L200 and has needed low range to get up a few times (I’ve had to walk). He’s on standard road tyres though.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Used.
    Shogun Pinin Commercial
    Daihatsu Fourtrack
    Vitara
    And
    Porsche Macan of course

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ll look at Delicas again.

There are a few on the facebook group. Don’t know if this works without joining the group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/delicamart/forsaleposts/

maccruiskeen

I’ll look at Delicas again

theres reasons they were never officially imported into the uk though. Although they have genuine 4×4 underpinnings they’re designed for posing in tokyo traffic jams. They wouldn’t pass the elk test 🙂

mountainman

Don’t know about availability in UK but i have a Hyundai santa fe 2.0 diesel 2004 which cost me 1500 euro,ok has no low box or diff lock but with good tyres is very capable off road up forestry tracks Not fire roads either)
    Tows well ,easy pulls trailer of logs across fields etc.
    Does on avg 40 mpg .
    Large boot ,seats up,split 30/70 will swallow a 29 er.

So try hyundai Tuscon or santa fe

Brown
    Free Member

Some interesting suggestions ta.

I think I want a 4×4 with a big (long) boot rather than an estate with four wheel drive, if that makes sense. I’d assumed things like Audis and Skodas weren’t going to be great off road, but maybe I’m wrong.

Definitely doesn’t want to be fancy as it’s going to get trashed and doesn’t need to be quick either.

nickjb
    Free Member

They wouldn’t pass the elk test

I don’t think many proper off-roaders would. Defender and Discovery didn’t. They aren’t cars for ragging around on the road. Even the fabled Macan struggled 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

Brown

Some interesting suggestions ta.

I think I want a 4×4 with a big (long) boot rather than an estate with four wheel drive, if that makes sense. I’d assumed things like Audis and Skodas weren’t going to be great off road, but maybe I’m wrong.

Definitely doesn’t want to be fancy as it’s going to get trashed and doesn’t need to be quick either.

Sounds like a pick-up would suit you then. Plenty of ways to lock things in the tub.

Brown
    Free Member

A pick up would be spot on for work. Just rubbish for everything else I do!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nissan Pathfinder…. a Navara with a proper boot and 7 seats.

Boots don’t come much bigger.

Bit spendy on the running costs though…..£500 VED, 24 MPG.

£4k will get you a 2006 plate with leather and satnav.

I had one for 7 years and shed a genuine tear when i let it go.

slackboy

Thought about a Subaru Forester?

The old shape ones (my favourite) start from about £800

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609137726173

decent sized boot too

jimjam
    Free Member

Forester boot is tall not long though.

smokey_jo

As much as I hate to recommend them have you thought about a 4wd Dacia Duster. They’re good for towing and the boot is a decent size albeit the back seats don’t fold flat. You might have to haggle and be prepared to go above £5 but so long as you avoid the Indian built ones (which rust) it ticks your boxes.

Doesn’t have a proper diff or low box but 1st gear is comically low, it has the transmission from the Nissan x-Trail which is well regarded and they come with 4 season tyres from new. I get above 45mpg from my diesel 4wd without trying too hard.

Brown
    Free Member

Parthfinders look spot on – I just can’t find one I can afford!

I’ve been looking at Dacias. They do a ‘van’ version too.

pictonroad

Pathfinders are cool,

or

Generation 3 Hilux Surf with an intercooler. Could pick up a nice one for £3k, They’re old but fabulous. Boot big enough to fit a family in, will tow 1 tonne, proper 4L transfer box and locking centre diff and runs 2wd on the road.

Took ours playing on Sunday, great day had by all. (They come as standard with much more sensible ride height and wheels)

carlosg
    Free Member

Bought myself an ’06 CRV mk2 (the one that looks like a 4×4)in Feb this year ,OK it’s not a proper 4×4 but I’ve had it up a few forest tracks without problems. The rear seats will fold up behind the fronts or slide forward if you still need to carry passengers .

My previous car was a Rover 75 estate and the boot is definitely bigger as I could still see out the back window over all the holiday junk when we tripped down to Cornwall this year (avg 47mpg). I paid 3.8k for mine , those Pathfinders are nice looking vehicles though.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Scooby Legacy…

pictonroad

oh, and the rear window opens on a surf so you can drive around with it open which is officially

The coolest thing.

and the main reason I bought one.

Towed over a tonne up a muddy hill on Sunday too.

themilo
    Free Member

06 CRV here also. Been bloody brilliant. Had it for 9 years and did think about replacing it but it’s worth, monetarily, way less than it’s worth to me and I’d have to spend a fair amount more to get something that suits me “better”. Boot is massive and it’s worth bearing in mind that the later versions sacrificed some of that bot for looks. Fitted a tow bar myself and it was pretty easy. Only done light trailer stuff with it for camping but it’s a 2.4 diesel turbo so I’d imagine plenty for bigger loads. I’d recommend it for sure.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above many 4×4 estates A6, Subaru’s etc

LWB Shogun boot is OK if you take out the extra seat – boot squarish not too long

Older Rav4’s you can take out rear seats for van like load carrying. Not sure about towing ability. Hold calue well so finding a decent one for £4k maybe a struggle.

(I have had A6 Avant Quattro, 2 * Shogun and a Rav4)

Friend just sold his X3 diesel with 105k miles for £4k

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

A pick up would be spot on for work. Just rubbish for everything else I do!

I have an Amarok for work and it’s my daily driver, it’s my fourth pickup now and I wouldn’t have anything else but another pickup. Drives like a big golf but can tow up to 3 tonnes or carry a tonne in the back. The wife has a new car but I’d still rather drive mine.

I have a hard top and a bed rug in the back, reasonably secure but I wouldn’t leave anything of value in it. Can quite easily get a bike with wheels still on in the back. There’s some decent used stuff out there for 4k.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Mitsubishi Shogun, they’ve got selectable 2 or 4wd, unstoppable off road, decent road manners and will tow 3.5 tonne.
    In budget as well.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

If a berlingo would cut it size wise, have you considered the renault kangoo trekka? Same sort of thing as a berlingo but 4wd. My 2wd ’04 1.5 dci does 50mpg easily, and is cheap to insure and not too bad on the tax either. Obviously the trekka would be a bit more thirsty due to the 4wd but still pretty economical overall I think.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think you need to decide if you need a “proper” 4WD or not? A lot of the suggestions that have been made are AWD. They won’t have a low range or locking differentials.. but you have to be going somewhere pretty tough to need them. If you do need a low range and locking diffs then your choices are going to be much more limited.

cozz
    Free Member

I’ve got a delica, they are ace but will do about 25-28 mpg, if that okay get one

just bought my brother a MINT 06 honda crv for £4k (petrol) only 60k miles from new, it drives lovely and is very had to beat

bearing in mind Ive had, troopers, lanides, cherokees, hrs, cdv’s L200, hilux, G wagen etc

andyl
    Free Member

If you passed your test after jan 1st 1997 do you have your B+e licence? If not you need to be careful as a 1000kg trailer will be braked and often rated for at least 1300kg which means your car can only have a MAM up to 2200kg

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Looks like £4000 will get you a 2006/7 Hyundai Santa Fe with 100k miles and the 150bhp 2.2ltr diesel engine. We had one of these, and whilst it’s not as good as the current 200bhp 2.2, it’s not bad at all. Boot is very large, and as a bonus, it has a proper spare wheel too. Never broke down whilst we had it (up to 100k miles)

4WD is standard, and whilst not a Land Rover, it seemed fine on snow and mud.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘4×4 with estate-sized boot’ is closed to new replies.